Urgent help, iPhone 6 plus stolen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lockett, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Lockett macrumors member

I preordered an iPhone 6 and an iPhone 6 plus last Friday to be delivered on the 19th. I had no reason to think the phones wouldn't turn up on time.

I received a text this morning telling me the phones have been delivered. I was confused, as to my knowledge no phones had been delivered to my house. So I contacted apple, who told me the phones have been delivered to an address in Norwich (166 miles away). I asked them to explain themselves and how this could happen. They told me somebody called up on Saturday the 13th and changed the address on my order.

I didn't recieve any conformation emails about the change of address which I find bizarre! I don't know how they could change the address, let alone not think to send a conformation email. The lady on the phone basically told me there is nothing they can do and that I have lost out on £1300. I'm at a loss what to do, I have contacted the police but I'm unsure how to take it up with apple? Any ideas?

2. Azzin macrumors 68040

Azzin

Google/drive to the address they've been shipped to and ask Apple for proof of the delivery address change.

3. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Call your credit card company, they can't make you pay for something you didn't get.

4. Lockett thread starter macrumors member

I payed on debit card. Quite silly looking back...

5. uchosen macrumors 6502

WTH? Doesn't need to be said. I can see you realize that :eek:

6. darrenf1 macrumors member

My bank would give me the same protection on debit purchases. Might want to check with yours.

7. Azzin macrumors 68040

Azzin

Was it a Visa debit card?

You still have some protection: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotl...protection_when_you_buy_with_a_debit_card.htm

The thing is, if this is genuine, Apple might be to blame here if they let someone change the delivery address without properly qualifying them.

If genuine, this is fraud and Apple absolutely hold the initial responsibility and should investigate the alleged lack of security here.

Do you know the address, know anyone that lives there, or know anyone that knows someone that lives there?

Find out from Apple when this supposed change took place and ask for the proof that they did things properly on their side.

Get in touch with your bank too (and ALWAYS use a credit card to pay online in future).

8. kerrikins macrumors 65816

They should be able to open a loss claim on their end - that's fraud!

I would call them back and ask them about this, and escalate if necessary. What authentication did they use to change the address? They should be able to investigate it.

9. Azzin macrumors 68040

Azzin

It's not your bank that offers the protection.

10. Lockett thread starter macrumors member

As far as I'm concerned, the fault lies at the feet of apple. I payed for a product, and without my knowledge its ended up in the hands of somebody else. If they sent a conformation of change of address the day it happened I would have had 7 days to report the incident. But I was told nothing. It's frustrating because it's entirely avoidable. The postal company have just delivered to the address that apple have supplied.

11. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

Someone must have known your order number, or had some other way to know that you ordered these phones. They couldn't just call Apple and say "pick an order and change it for me."

I wonder if your email has been hacked?

12. Lockett thread starter macrumors member

I don't know anybody who lives in a 50 mile radius of the address. The first I heard of the address change was this morning when they told me it had been delivered.

I'm just sat here scratching my head really.

I've reported it to the police, and they have given me a crime number and told me to get on the phone too apple. I've been on hold 58 minutes as it stands!

13. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

This will not be your financial responsibility. Product was not delivered. Apple or shipping company bears responsibility.

14. Lockett thread starter macrumors member

I hope so, I'd be sick to my stomach if I lost £1300 I'm only a student ! :mad:

15. AverageBob macrumors member

I doubt the thief would be dumb enough to use his /her actual address. Most likely chose a random address and took it out of the mailbox on delivery day. Hopefully you can get your money back this is ridiculous. All these stories are making me not want to ever buy expensive items over mail.

16. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Whoa how did someone change the address to an order you placed from Apple? Also, they usually send an email whenever an update is made to your account and orders. Call Apple. And keep us updated! I'm interested to know how this happened.

17. OVERTASK, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

OVERTASK macrumors 6502

You may want to call Apple to speak to a supervisor, explain the situation and ask them to clarify where your phone is. I have found Apple in the UK have excellent customer service, however they do sometimes need a little bit of gentle encouragement.

Edit:
    Most importantly do not panic, consumer legislation in the UK offers very good protection and you will not be left out of pocket.

18. Azzin macrumors 68040

Azzin

It won't be left in a mailbox, this is a signed for item.

Someone has signed for it-OP, ask UPS for the P.O.D (Proof of Delivery). This will be an electronic scan of whatever was scribbled into the UPS machine for a signature (I doubt the person signing it used their real name, but UPS normally ask for the name of the signer in case the signature is illegible.

----------

OP-what have your bank said?

19. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

tcook@apple.com

Possible someone at Apple knew what they were doing when the address was changed without authorization?

20. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I have a Visa Debit card that I used to preorder as I didn't have the room on my Credit card after buying books.

I'm only liable for $50 if my debit card is used fraudulently.

21. techiebug macrumors 6502a

The Apple package requires a signature by default. I think you won't lose anything, just some hassle explaining back and forth

22. Lockett thread starter macrumors member

quick update guys, the guy from apple told me that the fraud department will look into it and listen to the conversation that took place with apple and the fraudster.

another point, apple attempted deliver yesterday and i got an email telling me they had attempted delivery yesterday, i knew that hadn't because i was sat waiting for them all day. so i rang apple yesterday explaining i was in all day, and they still didn't think to tell me about the address change, even after i had to confirm my real one to talk to them!

so it turns out delivery was attempted in the location 166 miles away, which is why i didn't hear anyone knock.

just trying to keep calm and not drown myself! :p

23. darrenf1 macrumors member

Really? Well, semantics I guess, doesn't really matter who provides the protection, I know that I am not liable for fraudulent activity on my debit card.

Who, if not the bank, makes and enforces that policy?

24. erzhik macrumors 6502

Call your bank and speak to a supervisor. Explain the situation, they will most likely refund you and hit Apple with a fraud fine. Then call apple and talk to the supervisor, explain and tell them you contacted your bank about fraud. Dont just sit on a forum, act.

25. TheUnforgiven macrumors member

Damn, I hope you come through buddy. Hang in there. And keep us updated. :apple: