Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azadvirat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2021
Hello kind folks of MacRumors,

Pretty straight forward question... Will an unlocked cellular iPad Air 4 (4th gen) and an unlocked Apple Watch Series 6, both purchased in the US, work in Australia?

Let's assume that we're talking about an Australian GSM network (like Vodafone) that supports eSims.

Thanks!

njvm

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
Well certainly my Canadian purchased iPhones and Apple Watches have worked when I have gone home to Australia for holidays. Not sure about 5G and eSims though.

azadvirat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2021
Well certainly my Canadian purchased iPhones and Apple Watches have worked when I have gone home to Australia for holidays. Not sure about 5G and eSims though.
Were your Apple watches WiFi only? Or using cellular data via eSim?

njvm

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
No - I have always had the cellular watches and I didn't have any problems with them.

New York

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
I'm not sure if this helps, but my iPhone 6 worked fine when I relocated from the US to Australia. I bought the phone on contract from Verizon in the US and switched to Optus in Australia (with both carriers I used a physical SIM). My Apple Watch Series 4 (cellular), purchased in Australia, also worked when paired with that phone.

Prior to the iPhone 6 (or was it the 5?) you couldn't do this, but I'm pretty sure you can with every iPhone issued since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.