Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
18 years ago we took our daughter to Disney World in Florida. I still have fond memories of that trip. I don't have any fond memories of the computer I was using back then.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Vacation. Time spent with your kids >>>>>>>>>>>> a computer that you will replace in a few years.

I put off purchasing a rMBP to go on vacation with my wife and kids so that my wife could visit her 93 year old gramma and my kids could visit Legoland. No brainer for me.

The kid is going on vacation either way, it's just a matter of where. The Dells are a ton of fun. I'd rather go there than Orlando anyway.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
18 years ago we took our daughter to Disney World in Florida. I still have fond memories of that trip. I don't have any fond memories of the computer I was using back then.

From the OP: They did the whole Disney trip 2 years ago, too. I'm sure they have tons of memories from that trip too.

This isn't about buying a computer vs. taking a vacation. This is about whether the OP should take 1 trip & buy a computer or take 2 trips. The thread title doesn't help much, but that's really what this is about.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I've driven past the Wisconsin Dells and the parks look super depressing. Go to Orlando.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Here's a suggestion that's completely off-base: neither of the above!

When I was 12 I saw Disneyland for the first time, with my parents. This was 1961 (yes, 52 years ago!). I still remember the experience. However we did a lot more on that vacation (it was 5 weeks, the longest vacation I've ever been on, by far), and there were plenty of other experiences on that trip I remember more fondly.

All I see here is discussions about vacations to theme parks versus a computer. I'd suggest the vacation over a computer, that's for sure, but go someplace that will be more "mind expanding" than the artificiality of a theme park. If you live in a city, vacation in the country -- for instance visit a few National Parks. If you live in the country or small town vacation in a large city.

Antares

macrumors 68000
Going with the computer is pretty much a no-brainer.

A vacation is brief thing. It can be fun but will come and go quickly. A computer is also fun but will last you for years. The computer can have a positive impact on his life. Something that he will be able to appreciate and use and learn from for a very long time. A vacation will be a joy. But what then? It will be a fleeting experience. He'll just eventually forget about it.

No. Going with the computer is the easy choice here. Besides, think back to when you were your son’s age. Which would you have preferred? Vacation or a computer? I know that if I was the kid, I would definitely prefer the computer. But like others said, just ask him.

dreammaker23

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
I say, Vacation!

Spending time with family #1

But if it is a necessary thing to own another Apple product.
Ask your Son, & then ask yourself.

Pretend you were in his shoes...If you feel any regret what so ever to NOT go on this trip with your son.

Then you have your Answer! :)

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Trips with my son are without a doubt my best $ spent in life

Estes Park CO
Road trips Mi, IA, IL, IN, KY, OH... Just hanging out on the road
Kauai HI
Disney- a few times.
on and on.

He is now 16, and we speak of Colorado and Repelling like it was yesterday. Scuba in HI etc.
This summer it's on the road to check out some College's

Good thread OP, but time with family rocks- forget the machine it can't give back.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Some of my best childhood memories are of vacations I took with my parents. I do have good memories of playing with computers as well, but the vacation memories are better. Also, I play with computers every day now, while some of those vacations I haven't had a chance to do again. Besides, you already have two computers that your son can access, so what does giving him his own really get him?

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
A computer lasts for 5 years (or 10 years if it's a Mac). But the memories from a trip to Orlando, assuming it's Disney World you're planning to take him to, will last forever.

I wouldn't even give the boy a choice, but take him to Orlando and buy him a computer later if he really needed one. In another thread I saw a guy who had gotten a late 2008 MB-alu for only $250, so there's obviously a good second-hand market for Macs.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Get the mbp. The feeling and excitement of purchasing it and turning it on for the first time doesn't compare to the life sharing events.

Now go look into a mirror and recite these words.
Selfish prick. :)

That's my answer, thank you for asking

You know what's right. You won't regret spending the time with your son.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I own a iMac 27" 2011, and an Macbook Air 13" 2011... I want to purchase a DSLR camera and Photoshop Lightroom 4. I plan to either go on vacation with my 12 year old to Universal Orlando & Island of Adventure & Wet N WIld & the Magic Kingdom in Florida or I was going to give my Macbook Air 13" to my son and purchase a new MacBook Pro 13" so I can put the Photoshop Lightroom 4 on my new Macbook Pro 13".. Should I purchase the new Macbook Pro or should I take my 12 year old on vacation in Orlando? (We went on vacation and did all, and I mean all of the Theme parks in California about 2 years ago, Disney Land, Disney Land Adventure, Knotts Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain for 2 days, Universal Studios, and Santa Monica Beach) Please help, Oh and even If we don't go to Orlando and I purchase the MacBook Pro, I'm still gonna take him to Wisconsin Dells this Summer...

I'm twelve years old. My dad promised me a vacation to Universal Orlando & Island of Adventure & Wet N WIld & the Magic Kingdom in Florida but instead he had to buy this new MacBook Pro that he didn't need at all. Then I had this accident where I spilled a whole bottle of Coke, half on his new MacBook Pro and the other half on his iMac 27". I am so sorry :D

(My part is of course made up. I sincerely hope so is the part of the thread starter).

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I don't really get where all this outrage is coming from. It's not "spending time with my child or giving them a computer", it's "take two vacations, or give me child a computer and take a vacation this summer".

OP, either way you're doing just fine. It seems here that you love your child quite a bit. You can't make a wrong choice here, so either ask your son, or flip a coin.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
A serious question?

If so then take your kid to Orlando. No contest.

I went last year with my family. At 23 I still think it's awesome :D

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Cats in the cradle dude. Listen to that song and realize you will never ever ever get these days back with your son. Family first there should be no debate. And wow for asking the internet this, just wow.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I don't really get where all this outrage is coming from. It's not "spending time with my child or giving them a computer", it's "take two vacations, or give me child a computer and take a vacation this summer".

OP, either way you're doing just fine. It seems here that you love your child quite a bit. You can't make a wrong choice here, so either ask your son, or flip a coin.

Because it comes down to asking us whether he should by a superfluous new toy for himself or spend that money on a family trip (before you tell me that they will go on a trip regardless, note I said spend that money).

Now, perhaps you don't realize this, but most people with children would literally get tortured and die for their kids. So, to hear about this supposed conundrum is going to cause quite a big disconnect in most parents' minds.

I'll also point out that I, at least, got the impression from the OP that going to the Dells was going to be a less exciting option. If this wasn't the case, surely the OP would just ask his child which trip they prefer and be done with it. The fact that they came here implies, to me, that he suspects the trip to FL would be preferred, but he really wants validation for making the selfish choice.

So you can agree or not with those reactions, and it could all be completely wrong anyway. However I suspect those are the impressions most have gotten from the post, and that is why most of the thread has erupted in "outrage." Hope that helps you see where the others are coming from.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
My parents would never have bothered to give me the a choice like that at 12 years old. I would have been "forced" into the vacation and would have loved every minute of it.

Do not put the kid in the middle of this choice. A 12 year old can't weigh what will be most important in the future, they are in the present. Unless you can't pay the bills and provide for family basics without the new gear for work, spend the money on family time.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I own a iMac 27" 2011, and an Macbook Air 13" 2011... I want to purchase a DSLR camera and Photoshop Lightroom 4. I plan to either go on vacation with my 12 year old to Universal Orlando & Island of Adventure & Wet N WIld & the Magic Kingdom in Florida or I was going to give my Macbook Air 13" to my son and purchase a new MacBook Pro 13" so I can put the Photoshop Lightroom 4 on my new Macbook Pro 13".. Should I purchase the new Macbook Pro or should I take my 12 year old on vacation in Orlando? (We went on vacation and did all, and I mean all of the Theme parks in California about 2 years ago, Disney Land, Disney Land Adventure, Knotts Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain for 2 days, Universal Studios, and Santa Monica Beach) Please help, Oh and even If we don't go to Orlando and I purchase the MacBook Pro, I'm still gonna take him to Wisconsin Dells this Summer...

yikes
whatever you do make sure you spend money!

----------

The kid is going on vacation either way, it's just a matter of where. The Dells are a ton of fun. I'd rather go there than Orlando anyway.

typical Lannister response
;)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I was in a similar situation before (I won't be too specific) when I was younger, and we ended up choosing the vacation. Years later, I don't regret the decision. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Orlando is over rated and the memories fade...

Not my family, we love going there and my children have memories for a life time. My friends who had the opportunity to go there as a child mention it fondly to the point its a cherished memory.

Technology breaks or gets replaced but providing an experience such as a wonderful vacation will last a life time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.