Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
I just received my 15" i7/32Gb/1Tb/Vega 20 after UPS showing back and forth that I'd get it today or tomorrow. I have access to a very nice thermal imaging camera thru work so I thought I'd compare it to the other two laptops I have available to me. The middle one is a Yoga 720 15" i7/4K/GTX 1050/16Gb/512Gb and the one on the left is an HP x 360m i5/8Gb/128Gb. The two Windows machines are about 6 months old. The Macbook clearly ran cooler than the other two. Below are some shots of the Macbook's benchmarks. I've also got video of them running Cinebench, but of course Fluke doesn't have a MacOS version of their software to convert it to a usable picture or video.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
A couple more scores.

[doublepost=1542763614][/doublepost]
Would you mind running a heaven benchmark at the same time as driving the computer at 100% CPU with intel power gadget at the side? This is mainly to check the cooling capability & verify the throttling.

CPU 100%, run In terminal until at 100%:
yes > /dev/null
ref: https://geekgiant.in/how-to-undervolt-a-mac-to-increase-its-battery-life/

reference past benchmarks:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nchmarks-wipe-reinstall-ram-upgrades.2095033/

I'm downloading them right now

Reactions: idck_cn

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
Would you mind running a heaven benchmark at the same time as driving the computer at 100% CPU with intel power gadget at the side? This is mainly to check the cooling capability & verify the throttling.

CPU 100%, run In terminal until at 100%:
yes > /dev/null
ref: https://geekgiant.in/how-to-undervolt-a-mac-to-increase-its-battery-life/

reference past benchmarks:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nchmarks-wipe-reinstall-ram-upgrades.2095033/

So I didn't feel comfortable setting the CPU to 100% but I ran the benchmark and got the following. The highest I saw the temp get to was 80c but it came back down really quick.

Reactions: Trusteft

mario-64

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Any chance you could install WoW and check frame rates (CTRL+R) at 50 percent scaling? This should equate to 1680x1050 resolution. Thank you

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
Reactions: Trusteft

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Q1: Dollars-to-value is it worth getting the Vega 20 GPU upgrade?

Using Mac for the following:
  • Adobe CC (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
  • Two 4K-Displays, or may upgrade soon to LG 5K Ultrawide (5120 x 2160 Resolution)
  • Occasional Games on Steam (Mac); and will occasionally Bootcamp into Windows for Steam Games (PC)
Q2: ...or do you recommend to stick with the cheaper GPU option and getting eGPU for games?

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
So the offscreen performance looks fairly comparable, if not slightly better, than the 1050 Ti? Am I reading this correctly?

It's hard to tell on a Mac. Comparing Apples to Windows requires you to do benchmarks in Windows, which have better APIs such as Directx and Vulcan. That card with the proper driver from AMD will definitly perform better in Windows. AMD cards tend to have better performance gains in Directx 12 and Vulcan than their Nvidia counterparts.

Last edited:

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
So I didn't feel comfortable setting the CPU to 100% but I ran the benchmark and got the following. The highest I saw the temp get to was 80c but it came back down really quick.
QUOTE]
Thanks. You should be able to run the CPU at 100% given that temp. They are allowed to run up to around 100C, but hopefully no higher than 95C. The throttling should kick in to control the temps & that's what I'm looking for. If it only hits 90...that's really, really good.

Reactions: darksithpro

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016

Ahh, I see what you did. You wanted to see if the brand new RMBP was going to throttle under full 100% cpu and gpu load, set him up with the test and it didn't.:D:p

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Looks like about 60+% faster in the offscreen benchmarks :)

Which is exactly what Apple claimed. However without Windows benchmarks we really cannot determine how it compares to a 1050, or 1050ti unless a tester runs several synthetic benchmarks in Windows, under same OS and API/s to get a correct determination on how fast this chip is apples to apples.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Ahh, I see what you did. You wanted to see if the brand new RMBP was going to throttle under full 100% cpu and gpu load, set him up with the test and it didn't.:D:p

He didn't run the cpu at 100%. It should throttle like every other processor. That won't concern me...I actually am glad the test he ran shows no issues. I'm looking at thermal capability. If the CPU throttles some & not too much...that means the machine can keep up. I'm leaning towards buy this when I get back from my deployment. In normal use, I'll end up shutting down the hyper threading & increasing the fans as required to keep the temps down. If the thing screams to 100C & throttles down & stays at 100C, that's not good. I think it will scream to 95C, throttle some with the fans going up...maybe to 100%, but then the temps drop & stay reasonable. That would be extremely workable.

I know I will buy this, I just don't know if I'll go with the i9 or i7.

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
He didn't run the cpu at 100%. It should throttle like every other processor. That won't concern me...I actually am glad the test he ran shows no issues. I'm looking at thermal capability. If the CPU throttles some & not too much...that means the machine can keep up. I'm leaning towards buy this when I get back from my deployment. In normal use, I'll end up shutting down the hyper threading & increasing the fans as required to keep the temps down. If the thing screams to 100C & throttles down & stays at 100C, that's not good. I think it will scream to 95C, throttle some with the fans going up...maybe to 100%, but then the temps drop & stay reasonable. That would be extremely workable.

I know I will buy this, I just don't know if I'll go with the i9 or i7.
There is hope!

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Thanks for the tests! Of course, in order to properly evaluate the performance of this GPU, one needs industry reference benchmark results such as 3dmark and friends. But they will appear eventually. So far, it looks rather good.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
Posted on Twitter game results with Vega 20.

PNG image.png

Reactions: 0-0

TheMarkness

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
Yep sits neck and neck with the XPS 15 which has the i7-8750 / GTX 1050Ti so that makes a fair gaming side machine. I use mine for work, video editing, music / mainstage on Mac side but also enjoy having something mobile and usable to game on Windows side. This will fit the bill nicely, allow me to consolidate a seperate gaming laptop.

Mine arrives Friday ahh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.