Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reported tonight that Verizon Wireless and Google are working on a tablet computer to take on the iPad. Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam revealed the plans in an interview:
"What do we think the next big wave of opportunities are?" Mr. McAdam said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. "We're working on tablets together, for example. We're looking at all the things Google has in its archives that we could put on a tablet to make it a great experience."
Bloomberg confirmed that the new device will run Google's Android operating system. While neither Verizon nor Google had more to add at this time, details will apparently be announced later this week.

IDC analyst Al Hilwa believes "everyone is going to have a device that is going to compete with the iPad" and that Apple has created and legitimized the tablet market. Apple's iPad has already sold over 1 million units in the first 28 days on sale.

This public Verizon/Google partnership has cast some doubt on the possibility of an Verizon iPhone in the next month, but Business Insider's Dan Frommer suggests that this announcement was simply a negotiation tactic by Verizon who may be still be in talks with Apple about the next iPhone.

Article Link: Verizon and Google Working on Android Based Tablet

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
this made me think

Wouldn't Google have a problem with Verizon if they teamed up with Apple [IF THE RUMORS ARE TRUE]

I mean Verizon and Google are pretty much a team against Apple and AT&T

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
How long until these tablets are refereed to as the "iPad killer"?

iPod killer - still waiting
iPhone killer - still waiting
iPad killer - maybe third times the charm?

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
And all possibilities of a Verizon iPhone have been thrown out of the window and picked up by the sanitation department.

bondsbw

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Yes, but when?

The last time I tried to hold out for an Apple competitor, I waited from June until September and finally decided to upgrade my original iPhone to the 3GS. A few weeks later, the Droid comes out and I'm stuck with AT&T for another two years.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
An Android tablet is inevitable. Whether it is any good.... We will have to see. My big concern with google will be privacy and ads. I don't know if I really trust them with my data just to send me more ads.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
"We're working on tablets together, for example. We're looking at all the things Google has in its archives that we could put on a tablet to make it a great experience."

Sounds inspired :rolleyes:

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009

iPhone killer - still waiting
iPad killer - maybe third times the charm?

The HTC Droid Incredible is the current iPhone killer IMO plus it's on the better network...

As for the iPod and iPad though... well... that's another story :rolleyes:

icyfire

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
An Android tablet is inevitable. Whether it is any good.... We will have to see. My big concern with google will be privacy and ads. I don't know if I really trust them with my data just to send me more ads.

the android tablet is going to be just like the android phones. Usable but not very polished.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
I can't stand using my wife's Android phone. It's buggy, slow, freezes, and feels cheap.

But it was $29 with contract so she got it. This is EXACTLY what killed off the Apple back in the 80's: cheap.

Android is pretty crap, but it is cheap and it is "good enough".

I have a bad feeling about this.

s.

JakeTheMac

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
Ok more proof of why Apple will never put the iPhone on Verizon. :p

And we will wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, oh and wait for the iPad killer. :rolleyes:

RazHyena

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
USA
Awesome.

Finally, those of us living in the humongous "white spots" in AT&T's "awesome" coverage area might get a 3G tablet.

iPhone killer - Droid
iPad killer - still Waiting

Zune didn't have a chance.

JakeTheMac

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
I can't stand using my wife's Android phone. It's buggy, slow, freezes, and feels cheap.

But it was $29 with contract so she got it. This is EXACTLY what killed off the Apple back in the 80's: cheap.

Android is pretty crap, but it is cheap and it is "good enough".

I have a bad feeling about this.

s.

That's as true as it gets.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Hardware wise, there are three cellphones that can strongly compare to the iPhone:

Motorola Droid (with Android 2.1 update)
Google Nexus One
HTC Incredible

I expect a flood of touchscreen cellphones using Android 2.2 (code name FroYo) by the end of 2010.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
MS have been trying tablet for 10+ years, now once Apple introduces everyone wants to join in. Same story with Mac, IBM was sleeping till Apple come up with a personal computer. Then IBM+MS took over the market.

Same story with Google and android after the introduction of iPhone.

Oh well, apple will always be sidelined with bigger players. They are saying more competition is good. Yeah right, we have suffered thru MSDOS/Win for so long. Same case with IE after netscape's failure.

But google is better than MS, so won't mind using a google phone once apple get sidelined again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.