Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Verizon today announced plans to expand its 5G Ultra Wideband technology to more than 100 million people across 1,700 cities in the United States, offering 5G speeds that are up to 10x faster than 4G LTE speeds and that can hit up to one gigabit per second.

5g-verizon.jpg

According to Verizon, "nearly one in three Americans" will be living in areas where faster 5G speeds are available, but while the technology is coming to 1,700 cities, it's worth noting that it will be limited to select areas.

Apple's 5G iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 models are able to take advantage of Verizon's 5G Ultra Wideband technology, but an appropriate Verizon plan is required. Not all of Verizon's plan offerings include 5G UW speeds.

Ahead of 5G Ultra Wideband expansion, Verizon is updating its unlimited phone plans. As of January 5, the 5G Get More, 5G Play More, and 5G Do More plans will offer speeds up to 10x faster, and the highest-tier plan, the 5G Get More plan, now features unlimited premium data. It was previously capped at 50GB per month. Lower tier plans will not include the fastest 5G connection speeds.

Verizon's 5G expansion announcement comes as AT&T and Verizon have both agreed to delay the C-band spectrum launch that will enable the rollout of the faster speeds. The Federal Aviation Administration has asked the cellular carriers to hold off until January 19, after previously asking them to delay deployment until January 5.

The new agreement is designed to ensure there will be few disruptions to air operations when the C-band spectrum is deployed, as it gives the FAA and FCC more time to prepare. AT&T and Verizon initially balked at further delays for the C-band rollout because the deployment was already pushed back a month, but have agreed to one further two week delay. AT&T and Verizon have been assured that they will be allowed to deploy their new 5G wireless networks later this month.

Article Link: Verizon Announces Plans to Expand 5G Ultra Wideband to 1,700 Cities in January, Offers Improved 5G Plans

Last edited:
Reactions: duanepatrick

JustinCymbal

Contributor
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
Awesome!

I have the iPhone 13 Pro and the 5G speeds on Verizon are a huge improvement over 4G

I get 4 or 5 bars of service on Verizon pretty much everywhere I go here in the Boston area

My relatives live in Cleveland, Ohio and I haven’t been there since the pandemic started but I’m hoping that the 5G coverage out there is everywhere once I go back to visit

DeepIn2U

macrumors G4
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Awesome!

I have the iPhone 13 Pro and the 5G speeds on Verizon are a huge improvement over 4G

I get 4 or 5 bars of service on Verizon pretty much everywhere I go here in the Boston area

My relatives live in Cleveland, Ohio and I haven’t been there since the pandemic started but I’m hoping that the 5G coverage out there is everywhere once I go back to visit

I've always been curious about such '5G speeds' being an improvement on a mobile device with a mobile browser.

How much faster is THE most difficult website loading between 4G LTE and 5G on an iPhone via Safari, FF, etc??
Are your: emails, iCloud data, and apps sync'ing data noticeable faster?
Is iOS been coded at its core were such data will sync faster or say iCloud folder content simultaneously?
^ example 5 folders with mp4 videos, another 8 with PDF, Word, Excel documents and other 40 folders with lots of pictures taken from iPhone ... are they sync'ing linearly folder by folder (via the categories mentioned) or are they ALL sync'ing at once?

I ask because I'm on 4G LTE and it's somewhat noticeably faster over 3G for me north of the border across 3 carriers I've tried but not much difference - signal strength not been a factor in my comparisons of 3G to 4G LTE.

MallardDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Meh. unless you're in a congested area like a stadium, and want to stream video on the go, not much need for ultra wide band. Talk to me when it has a terabyte or more datacap and is a replacement for landline internet.

Reactions: NMBob and Antes

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
So…5G (at least on a major carrier like AT&T) charges you extra for a service that has the same speeds as 4G LTE.

And what’s worse, I’ve been to Washington DC, NYC, and other big cities, and have yet to find 5G+ mmwave
Are you on an eligible plan?
5G UW on mmWave is typical speeds of 1,000+ Mbps
5G UW on c-band will see typical speeds around 300 Mbps.

Reactions: haunebu

xpxp2002

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2016
Awesome!

It is, if you’re bringing Verizon. They already have mmWave up all over the city and several inner suburbs. I think you’ll be pleasantly impressed.

sw1tcher

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
Talk to me when it has a terabyte or more datacap and is a replacement for landline internet.

Reliable 5G home internet now just $50 a month.

Is there a data cap on the T-Mobile Home Internet service?
Nope! There are no data caps on our 5G Home Internet service.

Reactions: brn2prgrm2

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Meh. unless you're in a congested area like a stadium, and want to stream video on the go, not much need for ultra wide band. Talk to me when it has a terabyte or more datacap and is a replacement for landline internet.
I use tmobiles 5g for replacement for landline internet. I’m getting consistently faster speeds and no caps. Half the price.

Reactions: brn2prgrm2

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
That is exactly what 5G home is. No data caps and speeds up to 1 Gbps.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

hokkdawg

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009

You bring up a good example use case, because the future of broadcast TV is actively shifting to better embrace the fact that everyone is carrying around a portable HDTV in their pockets now, and we really need a more robust wireless network that can support full-quality smooth and reliable broadcast streams. Ditch the HDTV antennas and individual network transmitters, imagine a TV with a cellular chip instead.

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
So…5G (at least on a major carrier like AT&T) charges you extra for a service that has the same speeds as 4G LTE.

And what’s worse, I’ve been to Washington DC, NYC, and other big cities, and have yet to find 5G+ mmwave
In northern Illinois, I found the mmWave connection once. I ran a speedtest and got over 1gbps down. Then I moved my phone a few inches and lost it.

opfreak

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
I've always been curious about such '5G speeds' being an improvement on a mobile device with a mobile browser.

How much faster is THE most difficult website loading between 4G LTE and 5G on an iPhone via Safari, FF, etc??
Are your: emails, iCloud data, and apps sync'ing data noticeable faster?
Is iOS been coded at its core were such data will sync faster or say iCloud folder content simultaneously?
^ example 5 folders with mp4 videos, another 8 with PDF, Word, Excel documents and other 40 folders with lots of pictures taken from iPhone ... are they sync'ing linearly folder by folder (via the categories mentioned) or are they ALL sync'ing at once?

I ask because I'm on 4G LTE and it's somewhat noticeably faster over 3G for me north of the border across 3 carriers I've tried but not much difference - signal strength not been a factor in my comparisons of 3G to 4G LTE.
the best use I found for UW... is at airports. If you want to download a movie before a flight, and theres UW. Its literally seconds to download from amazon or netflix.

Reactions: slvrscoobie

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Just need at least a 3g tower put near my home in the mountains so I can get rid of the verizon in home network extender that disconnects sometimes

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Verizon and AT&T have already pushed the rollout by a month and may delay even longer.
They pushed out by a month, 2 months ago. Original date was December 5th and then was pushed to January 5th.
Last night they gave their final approval of a 2 week delay to January 19th.

Reactions: upandown

4jasontv

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2011
I am talking about Verizon, not T-Mobile.
I see. I must have missed that because I only saw someone discussing T-Mobile. Though I find it hard to believe that Verizon offers consistent 1 gbps data with no data caps including reduced speed or data prioritizing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.