Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Verizon Announces Yearly Upgrade Program for iPhone Users

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In response to low-cost yearly upgrade programs from T-Mobile and Sprint, Verizon this afternoon announced a new program that will let iPhone customers upgrade to a new iPhone each year provided half of the device cost has been paid and the old device is traded in.

News of Verizon's program was shared by Re/code, and the site says Verizon's program will be available to all Verizon customers who purchase an iPhone 6s or 6s Plus and pay for their phone in installments. This includes customers who have already pre-ordered their devices.

According to Verizon, its new plan is superior to those offered by competitors because there is an option to pay off the phone over 24 months or pay half and trade it in each year.
"If you're not interested in upgrading, you still have the option to pay your phone off in 24 low monthly payments," Verizon said in a statement. "That's a better option than those "lease plans" offered by other companies, which can include surprise balloon payments just 18 months into your agreement, or ask you to turn over your phone without getting anything for it."
Earlier this week, T-Mobile introduced a JUMP! On Demand promotion that offers the iPhone 6s for as little as $5 per month with a qualifying smartphone trade in. Under the JUMP! On Demand program, customers can upgrade to a new phone as many as three times a year with device trade-ins.

Following the announcement of T-Mobile's promotional pricing, Sprint this morning announced limited time lower prices for its iPhone Forever program, letting customers get an iPhone 6s for as little as $1 per month with the trade-in of an iPhone 6.

With both programs, pricing varies based on iPhone 6s and 6s Plus capacity and the smartphone being traded in.

Article Link: Verizon Announces Yearly Upgrade Program for iPhone Users

JustThinkin'

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2014
Can you believe Verizon has the nerve to say their plan is better when they're practically stealing from their customers?!

They're actually only giving 1/2 the original price of the phone after only 12 months! This sounds almost the same as the EDGE plans they already have in place.

The Sprint and T-Mobile plans are definitely designed to try to hook you in to continuing to use their service, but at least they're not ripping you off on the device!

Comment

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Can you believe Verizon has the nerve to say their plan is better when they're practically stealing from their customers?!

They're actually only giving 1/2 the original price of the phone after only 12 months! This sounds almost the same as the EDGE plans they already have in place!

Their current "early upgrade" plan (which used to be called Edge) requires you to pay off the full price of the phone before upgrading. When Edge first came out, it was 50% required...then they upped it to 60%, then 70%, and 100% in May.

Comment

JustThinkin'

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2014
Their current "early upgrade" plan (which used to be called Edge) requires you to pay off the full price of the phone before upgrading. When Edge first came out, it was 50% required...then they upped it to 60%, then 70%, and 100% in May.
So am I supposed to applaud them for going back to their original, lesser ripoff?

I don't hate Verizon - in fact I'm happy with both them and T-Mobile. But I hate the audacity of anyone telling such bald-faced lies.

State the facts and let the customer decide whether the high cost is worth the convenience. But don't you dare say it's superior!

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Comment

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
T-mobile is still the best imo with the ability to jump three times.

Comment

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
So am I supposed to applaud them for going back to their original, lesser ripoff?

I don't hate Verizon - in fact I'm happy with both them and T-Mobile. But I hate the audacity of anyone telling such bald-faced lies.

State the facts and let the customer decide whether the high cost is worth the convenience. But don't you dare say it's superior!

Not saying it's superior to other companies' offerings, but it's better than what they had/have currently.

Comment

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
This is exactly the same as the Apple program but they don't require AppleCare. Slightly better than AT&T NEXT currently.

Comment

korndawg

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Iowa

Atleast w/ Edge they gave u a discount per line on your plan, now they just give you half price. This is no deal. With my Edge, I owed 320 on my 6 and sold it for 420. So I made $100 from what VZ would give me plus I got a discount per line with Edge.

Comment

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007

They're actually only giving 1/2 the original price of the phone after only 12 months! This sounds almost the same as the EDGE plans they already have in place.

The Sprint and T-Mobile plans are definitely designed to try to hook you in to continuing to use their service, but at least they're not ripping you off on the device!

Most Verizon subscribers are already brainwashed into thinking their network is flawless, why wouldn't they also get brainwashed into paying more?

Reactions: Glideslope
Comment

JustThinkin'

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2014
Not saying it's superior to other companies' offerings, but it's better than what they had/have currently.
Verizon has been saying some really stupid things lately. Another one was when they came out with their new Verizon Plans. They wanted to get the word "simple" in to mimic T-Mobile, which was probably a dumb idea in itself. But they proceeded to use such insulting phraseology and analogies they ended up calling their customers stupid!

Whoever's in charge of marketing is the one who's lost his mind!

Last edited:
Comment

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Why is this article displaying Verizon's old logo?

On topic, I'm glad there is competition spurring, but I still don't like any of these finance plans. They just seem to become more complicated and with more asterisks. Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel comfortable with any of these new plans.

I'll just stick to paying in full and not worrying about all this jazz.

Comment

mgmsales

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2014
While I like my Verizon service, they do consistantly find ways to ripoff their customers. So, Verizon, I like my 6Plus (purchased unlocked thru Apple) just fine. I'll wait for the IPhone 7. You can keep your trade-in deal.

Comment

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
How is this much different than Next? You make 12-18-24 payments and trade it in (on the 12 or 18) or buy the phone off (or paid off by 24). The buyoff issue is made very clear.

What the difference?

Comment

stevenshizzle

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009

In response to low-cost yearly upgrade programs from T-Mobile and Sprint, Verizon this afternoon announced a new program that will let iPhone customers upgrade to a new iPhone each year provided half of the device cost has been paid and the old device is traded in.

News of Verizon's program was shared by Re/code, and the site says Verizon's program will be available to all Verizon customers who purchase an iPhone 6s or 6s Plus and pay for their phone in installments. This includes customers who have already pre-ordered their devices.

According to Verizon, its new plan is superior to those offered by competitors because there is an option to pay off the phone over 24 months or pay half and trade it in each year.Earlier this week, T-Mobile introduced a JUMP! On Demand promotion that offers the iPhone 6s for as little as $5 per month with a qualifying smartphone trade in. Under the JUMP! On Demand program, customers can upgrade to a new phone as many as three times a year with device trade-ins.

Following the announcement of T-Mobile's promotional pricing, Sprint this morning announced limited time lower prices for its iPhone Forever program, letting customers get an iPhone 6s for as little as $1 per month with the trade-in of an iPhone 6.

With both programs, pricing varies based on iPhone 6s and 6s Plus capacity and the smartphone being traded in.

Article Link: Verizon Announces Yearly Upgrade Program for iPhone Users
New Verizon logo

Reactions: karthik2809
Comment

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
This is the first thing I'm reading about Edge getting all messed up. That's a great way to do business, sign your customers up for something and then change it without notifying them. It's a shame all of these companies are in a race to the bottom, in terms of how they treat their customers. There's no place to go.. I just got a check in the mail for some class action settlement with AT&T today. I figure I'll be getting one from Verizon for this in 10 years.

Reactions: ron7624
Comment

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
While I like my Verizon service, they do consistantly find ways to ripoff their customers. So, Verizon, I like my 6Plus (purchased unlocked thru Apple) just fine. I'll wait for the IPhone 7. You can keep your trade-in deal.

You are not alone. I'm on Verizon's Edge plan right now and all these financing deals have pretty much solidified me paying retail for my next iPhone.

Reactions: Flow39
Comment

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
This is the first thing I'm reading about Edge getting all messed up. That's a great way to do business, sign your customers up for something and then change it without notifying them. It's a shame all of these companies are in a race to the bottom, in terms of how they treat their customers. There's no place to go..

This is how I feel - being one of the first Verizon customers to do Edge. Won't be making that mistake again.

Comment

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2015
Rio Grande Valley in South Texas
Looks to me like Verizon is scared of T-mobile, especially with the recent "we're not gonna make as much money this quarter."

I love how T-Mobile is always the first to make the bold moves and then all the other carriers follow. Too bad their "deals" always have caveats to them :p

Last edited:
Comment

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Last time I had AT&T, they returned my payment (as overpayment) monthly and then followed by threatening me with collections for like a year. Ugh.. It was a horrible cycle that I had to mess with every month.

But apparently Verizon is just as bad, but in different ways.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.