Verizon App Now Allows eSIM Activation on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 11, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

It is now possible to use the My Verizon app to activate eSIM service on an iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, or iPhone XR in the United States.

[​IMG]

The app was updated today to allow Verizon customers to purchase a cellular plan for the eSIM line of an iPhone without needing to visit a Verizon store. The in-app process should be more straightforward and convenient.

[​IMG]
    "My Verizon" changelog via Gabriel Lewis

Verizon and AT&T rolled out eSIM support last week, while T-Mobile is expected to offer an in-app solution for setting up eSIM later this month.

Other carriers offering eSIM service include Bell, Fido, Rogers, Virgin Mobile, and Lucky Mobile in Canada, Deutsche Telekom and Vodafone in Germany, T-Mobile in Austria and Czech Republic, Hrvatski Telekom in Croatia, 3 in Denmark and Sweden, Telia in Finland and Estonia, EE in the United Kingdom, and many others.

iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR models have both a physical SIM and an eSIM that allows for dual SIM, dual standby. This means you can have two lines of service on one iPhone, which is useful for purchasing data-only plans while traveling or having personal and business lines on a single iPhone.

Update: This process appears to be limited to customers of other carriers who are looking to add Verizon service via the eSIM.

Article Link: Verizon App Now Allows eSIM Activation on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR

2. ericg301 macrumors 65816

It's really great....

Its also great...

really Verizon? no one copy edits you're release notes?

3. marco114 macrumors 6502

marco114

Do you have to have a Sim at all? or is it only for a secondary line?

4. acarney macrumors 6502

Nice! Now I can try Verizon without going to a store. I wish att allowed you to add a line from the app rather then needing to visit a store!

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Where in the app is this located? I don't see it anywhere.

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

Instead of being the frontrunner of adopting latest technology (Wi-Fi Calling, VoLTE, Cellular Data Usage), T-Mobile falls to embarrassing and distant 3rd place with eSIM.

7. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Hmm can you switch from a Verizon physical sim to the esim through the app? I'd like to make my Verizon phone use the esim to I can experiment with a Tmobile physical sim.

8. cmaier macrumors G4

I can’t find any mention of esim ANYWHERE in the app?

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

All I can find is a FAQ about eSIM. No actual way to set up eSIM in the app that I can see.

10. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

I hope T-Mobile eSIM app won't fall too behind. Even though I got eSIM activated.

11. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

Of course this rolls out after I spent hours working with Verizon reps to get my number ported over.

12. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

13. cmaier macrumors G4

14. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

AT&T needs to do the same. Can you use the app to disable the eSim and go back to using a physical sim as well?

15. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

16. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

Yep. If you are a customer it asks you to call them to finish account setup (most likely to attach it to your current account).

17. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Just delete the eSIM on the phone under settings and then put the physical SIM in.

MR should edit the story to reflect that this option is for new customers. There is no in app ability for current customers.

18. michael31986 macrumors 68040

19. cmaier macrumors G4

Personally I prefer physical sim. Each year when I get a new iPhone I just swap in the old sim into the new phone. I’ll reserve the esim for a second account when traveling - before too long I expect pay-by-the-week options abroad, much like iPad.

20. WannaGoMac, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018

WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Compared to the other things you mention, the eSim is a distant 10th on my list. ;)

Yes, later this month is a huge falling behind, T-Mobile should be ashamed/s:rolleyes:

edit. Shoot, i forgot this is macrumors forums. The forum where someone always finds a way to complain. Here's the handy Macrumors bingo card, guess we need to add something about cell carriers. :D

[​IMG]

21. Sanme macrumors newbie

Sanme

Can someone remind me why it’s not available to the X again?

22. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The iPhone X doesn't have eSIM.

23. NMBob macrumors 6502a

"It''s also really really great because we get to charge you more."

They edited that one out.

24. Thatbradswag macrumors newbie

Thatbradswag

Am I the only one who feels like we’re going back in time to the CDMA days of using a MEID/ESN to activate? Personally, I would have preferred a duel physical slot like the Chinese model but I guess not having to go to an actual store is beneficial to most.