Verizon iPad w/iPhone unlimited plan?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Enrico, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Enrico macrumors 6502

Enrico

Like the title says, I have a Verizon iPhone with a grandfathered unlimited plan, is there anyway to activate a 4G LTE sim to use it in the Verizon iPad, with the unlimited data plan?
    Of course while doing this one would not be able to receive calls.... I know that if you have an Android Lte the switching works with a tablet or mifi...

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Not without violating the terms of service, no.

3. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

It can work but you will have to convert to an lte 4g phone first. Once you convert, you will have an active 4g sim with your phone / data info on it. You can then put that in the iPad.

4. mikefromnj macrumors newbie

If one has an lte phone with unlimited data and puts that sim in an lte I pad what part of the TOS would be violated? I thought Verizon was required to allow lte sim swapping.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Oops. Didnt realize we were talking about Verizon. I have no idea what Verizon's terms are. I used to have Verizon service but I'm with AT&T now.

Don't mind me...

6. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Good to know! So when I buy my iphone5 I will then convert my iPad to unlimited data plan!

7. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Couple questions:

1. Are you able to renew an unlimited verizon plan at the end of the contract, or do they not grandfather like AT&T?

2. Is it possible to buy such a plan/sim on eBay, like you can do with AT&T?

8. Ccrew, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

Ccrew macrumors 68020

1) You can keep a Verizon unlimited plan even with a contract upgrade. Once you have it you have it as long as you keep a data plan. If they screw up and put you on tiered they'll even roll you back to unlimited if you call customer service.

2: If you can find someone that will transfer an existing line of service to you then you can do it, although Verizon treats it pretty much like a new account from a setup standpoint, ie: credit check, etc.

I have 5 lines on Verizon and have been a VZ customer since the late 80's when they were Bell Atlantic. I've had lots of dealings with them so I know them well. Now if I could only diminish my $350 a month cell bill!

What I'd like to try is adding another line of service to my family share plan and whether they'll let me add unlimited data then to what is essentially a new line, when the master billing line has unlimited. $9.99 + $29.99 for the data plan less my 20% corporate discount would be fine with me for unlimited LTE. Alas though I have 5 lines on my plan which is supposedly VZ's maximum on a personal account (not including data only devices)

9. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Thanks! And you can still get the $30/month unlimited tethering plan if you have grandfathered unlimited, right?

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Yeah, you pay the tethering surcharge on an iPhone, but the plan is still unlimited. I had to jump through a few hoops to get them to do that though, as the tethering is a checkbox on the tiered plans in their system.

Don't know how much you've dealt with Verizon, but my experience with them is when you don't like the answer from a CS rep politely thank them and get off the line... and call back 20mins later with a new rep and answers will differ.

11. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

So how do I do this is if I have a iPhone 4s Verizon with unlimited data and an iPad 3 with Verizon?

I tried swapping sims...didnt work!

12. Enrico thread starter macrumors 6502

Enrico

It did not work because you need an LTE sim, not the one provided with the iPhone that is only used for international roaming purposes.

The trick that I was looking for, was supposed to activate an LTE sim with the iPhone existing unlimited plan, without needing an Android phone....

13. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Hm, now I need to price how much it would cost to switch to Verizon (new phone, unlimited plan, tethering). I'd like to try using LTE to replace my home Internet. Can't do that with AT&T (throttling).

14. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I'm looking for the same solution....

15. Tortri, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

I did this exactly what you want to do.

Call Verizon and tell them you are going to switch to a 4g phone that requires a microsim. They tell you that you can go to the store but they'll charge you $25 if you do so ask them to send you one which will be free and 2nd day shipped to you. Once you receive it call the 800 number provided in the paperwork and tell the rep you are still choosing your phone but you want to activate the microsim without the phone, he/she will ask for the long 89 number on the card the microsim is attached too and will work so if get a person who says that won't work don't believe them hang up and call again. Afterwards be asked to be transferred to a sales rep as you want to add a line of service, once you do so tell them you activated your sim and getting a new line for your current iPhone as its going to someone else and you are getting a new phone. WHEN YOU DO THIS MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE YOUR TEXT PLAN FOR THE UNLIMITED PLAN AS IT WONT DO ANY GOOD TO PAY FOR IT AND YOU CAN'T USE IT, MORE ON THIS LATER. They'll act confused as your old number isn't showing a phone but still active just ignore them blabbering itll work. You pay a activation fee but doesn't hurt to ask for a waiver of that fee, and a new line of service is $9.99 plus $30 for a 2GB plan. You'll get a new number of course and that's that. You'll have to wait a little while for activation I had to wait an hour but this was when the new iPad was released.

After all that turn off your iPad, insert the microsim, turn it on, go to settings/general/reset/subscribers sevices/ reprovision account. Afterwards it should work. It did take a bit to get it working it'll say LTE and so far it's unlimited.

Now the downside, when you go to verizonwireless.com it'll notice you are on a iPad and if you go to change anything on your plan it'll say you need to upgrade your device which means you can't change anything like I said make sure you got your text plan set, I didn't now I'm paying $5 for almost nothing.

Other than that works great, loving my unlimited iPad LTE. Sure I'm paying the same as a 3GB equivalent plan but I'd rather have unlimited as LTE is broadband speeds and 3Gb is a nights worth of Netflix and web surfing. So far i've used 1GB already and I personally don't think i've used it much.

Enjoy! Msg me if you have any questions.

16. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1336647

Reference link that answered some of my questions.

17. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

Since friday, I've been swapping my sim card. Works great! I do have unlimited data. But swapping sim card has been a pain. but free is free! :D

18. Enrico thread starter macrumors 6502

Enrico

Do you swap an Lte sim from an Android 4G phone?

19. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

I bought a galaxy nexus off of eBay just to test out lte when it first came out ( I have an iPhone 4s). I was able to buy a lte sim from a third party verizon store and I was able to activate it and switch my line the nexus using their website.

That might be an option to switch your line to a lte sim. Another option could be to buy a full priced phone, switch your line to it and then return the phone

20. Enrico thread starter macrumors 6502

Enrico

Problem is that when I want to switch back to the iPhone4S, the LTE sim in the iPad gets deactivated, and from what I remember at midnight the sim card would be permanently disabled.

21. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Yes, thats the draw back. You can't go back to a normal 3G phone without making the 4g sim useless. I don't know how the iPad is able to do it. (this is the same way gsm phones have always worked. Once you deactivate a sim, it becomes useless. )

22. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

So basically if you have the iPhone 4 you're screwed? You need the Nexus...?

23. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Read 7 posts up from yours

24. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I did, it's just extremely confusing and I'm not really sure how much I end up paying and the exact process, and if I lose my number, and how exactly the unlimited works, etc.

25. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

I'll see about itemizing it this week and reporting the process, I tend to not making it sound simple but it really is if you don't mind making some effort.