Verizon (iPhone) Facts and Myths

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zepaw, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Zepaw, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I am tired of the misinformation being spread on this forum. I offer this post because I do not think most of it is malicious misinformation. It is an iPhone forum and so at this point most US posters are with AT&T; they have little knowledge of Verizon or base what they know on how it was X years ago when they were a subscriber.

Lately this forum has become a hotspot for bickering about wether AT&T or Verizon is better. It is not a contest with a winner or loser, they are both huge networks that have their own sets of strengths and failings. So much comes down to the simple fact of where you live giving you better service from one company or another. I owned an iPhone 3GS and 4 through AT&T and had a Droid X with Verizon last fall. I had an overall great experience with both. I am currently a Verizon subscriber with a mobile hotspot who will be grabbing an iPhone 4 day one on Verizon.

Verizon has Unlimited Data. This is completely true and means exactly what it should. There is no secret 5GB cap. I went over 5GB each month and suffered no fines or slowing of my data speed. This rumor has a seed of truth but for their smart phones Unlimited now truly means Unlimited.

I don't know why people keep saying Verizon will probably remove their Unlimited data soon. The only source seems to be other posters saying the same. Vz and AT&T tend to follow lock step a lot, but Verizon seems to realize the competitive advantage they hold by keeping Unlimited Data and show no sign of throwing it away so soon. Update: Verizon's COO has said they do do plan to keep unlimited for a time because they would be shooting themselves in the foot (his words) to get rid of it now. However, Verizon's COO has said Verizon will follow AT&T's lead and go to tiered plans in the "not too distant future". Not much of a time frame, could be a month or even a year; they have been hinting at getting rid of unlimited for over a year. At this point I think they would have removed it earlier, but realized how smart it would be to keep it until they have the iPhone 4.

If you think it will be scrapped because iPhones are just so data heavy then know it has been reported over and over Android phone owners use more data than iPhone users. It makes sense to me because there were so many more things I was able to download with Android app that Apple's market would never allow such as a Youtube downloader.

Verizon Customer Service. I hear a lot of knocks against Verizon's customer service here. This is something more anecdotal so I would never say anyone's experience is not valid, but I will offer my own experience to counter it. I would grade AT&T's CS a 10/10 and Verizon's a 9/10. I had a couple representatives go above and beyond to assist me at AT&T, but always got my problems solved with help from Vz as well. With any call-in support you are going to get clueless people, but I did happen upon more when calling Vz.

Interesting to note Verizon and AT&T tied for last in a study of customer's satisfaction about call-in customer support. These satisfaction studies change pretty often, but that is where it stands now.

A good thing for everyone to remember is how much luck is involved. With most of these places you could get the worst rep you have even dealt with and when you call back 5 seconds later get the most helpful person you will ever know.

Verizon vs AT&T signal strength. This is completely dependent on your location. There are million who get better AT&T coverage and millions in an area better served by Verizon. Data Speeds on AT&T can be faster, but that does not help those (like me) who live far outside of AT&T 3G coverage area.

Simultaneous Voice and Data. It is true that it is not possible to be on the phone and use data (i.e. surf the web) while you talk. Verizon's CDMA network is not built to handle this function unless the phone maker adds a "svdo chip" to the phone which the Vz iPhone will not have. This is the state as of now 2011, I doubt it will be the same X year(s) from now especially with the LTE/4G network.

This can be an issue for some people; AT&T says about 1/3 of iPhone customers use this feature daily while half said at least once a week. It matters little for people like me who could not go to AT&T even if they wanted to and just like any feature there is still a portion who do not need/want the feature enough to care. Verizon has never had this feature and it's smartphone sell just fine. It will not kill the Verizon iPhone.

Verizon apps/"bloatware" and Verizon logo. There will be NO applications preinstalled by Verizon on a Vz iPhone. There will be some available for download through the App Store. There will be no Verizon branding on the Vz iPhone.

If you want to complain about preinstalled apps gripe at Apple. With every iOS device I have had I needed to hide away the uninstallable Stocks app because I have absolutely no use for it.

Verizon iPhone 4 cases. Some cases designed for the original iPhone 4 will not work for a Verizon iPhone 4. The front and back facing are the same, but the mute and volume buttons have been moved slightly. If you are wondering about a specific case you must contact the vendor/manufacturer. Apple has already redesigned their bumpers to work with either Carrier's iPhone 4.

Verizon "iPhone 5" release. Verizon is not the first carrier to be given a mid-cycle release. True it is the first with CDMA technology, but it is foolish to believe Apple has not already been well underway developing the next iteration of the iPhone to be ready for all carriers regardless of antenna. Apple knew about the Verizon/CDMA iPhone far before January 11. We can be 99.9% sure the "iPhone 5" will be released this summer and it is just as likely a Verizon/CDMA version will be released alongside GSM. No hard facts to prove this, but it seems fool hardy to think otherwise.

This entry has nothing solid to back it up so I get if you are not convinced, but think about this example. O2 was the first carrier to have the iPhone in UK. O2 lost exclusivity when Orange got the iPhone. It happened in late 2009. So tell me, does Orange still get their iPhones in the fall? No

Several things are not yet written in stone and we will learn more as the weeks go by and the iPhone 4 is "rereleased", but as of now this is how the facts stand.

This thread is not meant to put forth either AT&T or Verizon to be superior to the other, but simply to clear the air on simple things not known by enough people. Anything I missed?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Verizon has no published iPhone data plan prices

3. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Great writeup. Another misconception is that some people believe that ATT and VZ are the only two carriers and that Apple is going to change the release schedule to please Verizon.

There are more than 50 iPhone carriers worldwide VZ znd ATT are just two of them.

Also someone asked if the Upgraded Verizon iPhone is called 4s or iPhone 4.1 :rolleyes:. It is the same iPhone 4 just with a different antenna and no SIM due to it being CDMA instead of GSM.

4. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Your wrong about one. Verizon can handle voice + data at the same time, but only if phone makers put a SVDO chip in the phone. But the viPhone does not have this chip.

5. Zepaw thread starter macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Did not know that. Updated the original thread. :)

I like that one. Going to add something about that to the post as well.

6. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

There is no way android users use more data than iPhone users. What is your source?

iPhones have Netflix and Hulu apps that people like me live off of as I travel for work and most places do not have wifi. I also use it at work and there is no wifi. I'm not alone. When android gets a netflix app maybe I'll change my mind.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Did you click the hyperlink? It will direct you to the website.

OP, good writeup.
    You pointed out some pretty key facts such as Verizon isn't the only carrier to launch iPhone mid-cycle.

8. Che Castro macrumors 603

when are they going to release data plan prices ?

9. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

You can use voice and data at the same time on wifi, but not on 3G. If this is some kind crucial unbelievably important thing, at least it's doable when connected to wifi so it's not entirely true that it is impossible AT ALL if you have a VZ smartphone. And if it's such an unbelievably important feature then don't give VZ your money, give it to AT&T instead. It's not that complicated. People here are acting as if someone will come take away your iPhone now that another carrier is offering it.

I don't honestly get all this borderline fanboyism with telephone companies!...I mean...jeez...you love AT&T? AWESOME! Keep them! You love your VZ service? Great! I like my service and I will enjoy my iPhone on it. Who the hell cares? Get the provider who works best for YOU! My "loyalty" to Verizon is simply based on the service they provide me in my area, which is superior to the other providers here. End of story...if they offer ***** service in your area then my all means go with another carrier!

10. Zepaw thread starter macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Really no way to tell yet. According to some people Call-support people have revealed $30/unlimited will be an option. I imagine we will know for sure by the time Feb 3 preorders happen.

11. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

apple/verizon will not release iphone 5 with the at&t version.

12. Zepaw, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

Zepaw thread starter macrumors 65816

Zepaw

They will not release the Verizon version will not be released along side the one going to dozen of other carriers this summer? Why would they wait 8 months to release iPhone 5 again? It is an antenna, that's it! It does not take that long to change an antenna.

Gonna bring in an example to make this easy to grasp. O2 was the first carrier to have the iPhone in UK. O2 lost exclusivity when Orange got the iPhone. It happened in late 2009. So tell me, does Orange still get their iPhones in the fall? No

13. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

if they release iphone next month only to release the 5 in the summer it would piss way to many people off.

14. Zepaw, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

Zepaw thread starter macrumors 65816

Zepaw

How many more people would be angry if it did not come out along side the rest?

The iPhone's yearly refresh is common knowledge. Even my mother who does not follow tech news at all was telling me about how it is, in her words "a mid-life device". People buying this know what they are getting into. Also, a newer version will be coming does not make the iPhone 4 any less of an incredible device.

Many people will even be holding out for an iPhone 5 since it should only be 4 months away. Others (like myself) expect to sell the iPhone 4 this summer to upgrade to the iPhone 5.

15. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

I spoke to a rep today, and he confirmed that they have been told directly to not confirm any data prices or plans, because they just don't know yet. He was also instructed to say that the $30/unlimited will most likely stay, but that he could not 100% confirm it.

I wonder what they're waiting on. Judging public interest to see how much money they can charge us and still get away with it, perhaps? :rolleyes:

16. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Why didn't Verizon justvwaut til when apple normally releases new iPhone? What's going to happen is many Verizon will get iPhone in February and won't be able to get the new release.

17. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

In all actuality... Verizon is being very smart.

The reps giving out odd info is to be expected. They don't know anymore than we do for most of them I would expect. They're taking info they have and interpreting it.

Verizon is holding off until later this week to say that the $30 Unlimited plan will stay, and any other little iPhone release tidbits.

All of a sudden they have new Press going for the next week, then the following week is pre-order week, then the following week is release.

They are making a solid press campaign that's guaranteed to keep the iPhone in the spotlight.

It's annoying to us, but brilliant for them.

Because then they'd be news mixed in with the iPhone announcement. By releasing it now they're in a "dead season" for just about everything. So they're dominating the Tech news. They don't have anything coming right now from Apple that will shadow it, either. Plus they want to get this phone out there, and their customer base exploding upwards as fast as possible.

18. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

It could also be that since it's a non-exclusive deal, maybe a t-mobile and sprint iPhone 5 will be released along with AT&T and verizon, so verizon ponied up some extra dough to get it early and lock some customers into place before the iPhone is available everywhere?

19. bergmef macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping all are added for when the iphone 5 comes out. Then you can truly pick what is best for your location.

20. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

Not true

FAIL, need we say more?

21. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Yes it is. The 5GB cap people keep referring to appears to only be for data cards. Not Smartphones.

How is it fail? Sure it could come in useful, but then again the ability to make stable calls on a much larger spectrum is WIN. The amount of dead spots in Phoenix for ATT is pure FAIL for a major Metro area.

Not to mention a vast amount of users just don't need the ability, and when the LTE iPhone comes out (2012) that wont be a problem. Hell they could even implement SVDO support into the summer release of the next iPhone. Either way it's a non-issue.

Sound like another die hard ATT person trying to make themselves feel better, and to hate on anyone who is getting an iPhone that hasn't bee on the original network.

Who cares if its ATT, Verizon, or any other carrier. Just enjoy the product you choose, and that's all that matters.

22. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

I've been on the unlimited data plan for two years and never seen a 5GB cap despite streaming radio for hours on end and other GB hogging apps.

I live near Peoria, IL and ATT coverage is so poor that I've seen people not have a phone signal, let alone data, merely 20 miles SW of there. Illinois is a relatively populous state but reliable ATT coverage in my area is nil.

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Wrong, at least for AT&T.

I love how the OP acts like this is an unbiased appraisal of Verizon and AT&T and then proceeds to write all this stuff about Verizon, which may or may not be true. It's also really strange that Verizon is not publishing data plan rates, if that is the case.

24. goosnarrggh, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Well, in an area where AT&T hasn't rolled out 3G service yet, or where 3G coverage is so spotty that they regularly fall back to 2.5G or 2G service, AT&T customers are in very nearly the same boat. And there's a huge chunk of the USA where an AT&T customer would be using 2.5G or 2G service -- and hence they'd also have to forego simultaneous voice+data.

Except, when an AT&T user is using 2.5G or 2G to access data, they don't even get notification of the fact that an incoming call is waiting to be answered -- it will be shunted directly to voicemail. At least with Verizon, the phone will ring and the user will be given a chance to decide whether or not to interrupt the data connection to answer it.

In this respect, it relates back to the OP's previous point about signal strength. If, in the customer's home area, AT&T's service is predominantly 2.5G or 2G, then Verizon and AT&T are about on par with respect to simultaneous voice+data, with Verizon having (IMO) a slight advantage (due to service prioritization), and potentially a huge advantage (due to EV-DO speed versus EDGE speed).

25. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

+1. The OP is speculating on most of this stuff.