Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
ATT doesnt really btoher me anymore. My guess is that this is now about releasing this information every now and then to keep att in line. It certainly got their attention with the ipad data plans.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
I can't see AT&T's exclusivity lasting any longer than it already has. Signing with other carriers (Verizon primarily, possibly Sprint... not tMobile because of their non-standard 3G bands) will give Apple more money than they could possibly be getting paid by AT&T in revenue sharing off iPhone contracts. With the dollar amounts Apple is raking in right now, it would be foolish for them to continue to partner with only one carrier in the US with the potential significant increase in income by adopting a multi-carrier model.

mrmfast

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2010
This is pretty funny. I can remember so many people on these forums saying the iPhone would NEVER come to Verizon. Man are they eating their words right now. :p

Haha I know!!!! For better or worse, my family and all my friends are on Verizon so I'll be on Verizon's network for a long, long time. I've been patiently waiting for this announcement, and I couldn't believe how vehemently so many of the people on here bashed Verizon.

I don't even understand why, it's not like the iPhone coming to Verizon makes the one in your pocket any better or worse, it just means more of us are happy! I would never want anybody to not have access to a product that they like! Anyway, woohoo! I can't wait haha. I was going to buy some kind of Android phone when my contract was up but now I'm waiting for the iPhone!

jeffereyj

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
CDMA: talk & data at same time?

so would it still be technically not possible to surf & talk at the same time on the CDMA iPhone...?

CluTcH

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
i was watching fast times or something on msnbc or something but they were talking about apple and had the guy from wsj on the phone and he was explaining it and what info he had.. the two points i got from him which i did not like is that there working on a cdma version for verizon which will be very similar to the 3gs xcept an even faster processor and the new iphone will be like the "nano" version of the the 3gs which is complete ********.. i dont want a smaller screen.. thats not revelutionary at all.. if this is true than **** apple i'll go get a ****ing android phone.. the new 4g evo with its 4.3' screen and front facing camera.. **** apple if thats the case

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
well whatever it is, at this point, I'm actually more excitied for the HTC incredible that will probably be out on Verizon in a few weeks and the Evo coming out on Sprint. Frankly, I'm not that interested in the iPhone as i used to be so I don't really care if it comes out on Verizon or not. The iPhone has lost it's charm for me. That being said, if it does come out, I would definitely consider purchasing it.

If your not interested what are you doing in the iPhone section?

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I find it difficult to believe that Apple would farm out the production of a different iPhone to a different company. Apple seems to prefer simplicity in manufacturing, and tight control. It would seem more likely that they'd make a single model with dual band capability for whenever Verizon was ready.

roocka

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
Indianapolis
I am more excited about China Mobile

When they go to China Mobile, watch out. Mobile (smart phones) are the current and next technology to sweep the land. Though some of us have been blessed with them for years and understand their true power, the masses will soon be enlightened.. My stock portfolio is smiling..

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
If this is true, which it probably is due to WSJ being pretty reliable, then it is probably a deal cut with Verizon which is lucrative for Apple. So, expect an expensive phone or more likely an expensive plan. The economics of this would not work any other way other than Verizon making it worthwhile for Apple to do the required engineering.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
There's no doubt that Apple is developing a CDMA version. They have to. They need to have that bullet ready in case at&t steps out of line.

Now will it be released? I doubt it. But I wouldn't mind all the whiners leaving at&t and crashing another network.

I would say it is more likely Apple is working on 4g technology now and will carry on with AT&T until the LTE rollout on VZW is up to scratch. Then you might see an iPhone on Verizon.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Yeah, I mean, it's hardly shocking "news." We would expect a new iPhone sometime this summer. The inclusion of a Verizon/CDMA version would be pretty newsworthy, though.

I've been saying this for a year. No surprise to me. A CDMA phone for people who never leave the USA. Lot's of sales there my friend. :apple:

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
I always believe competition is a good thing. If this is true, it should ease the strain on AT&T's network.

However, I'm sticking with AT&T. Before my iPhone, I was a satisfied Verizon customer for many years. But AT&T has treated me well and I see no reason to switch, especially with the rollout of 7.2/mb 3G across their network.

Also, I'm willing to bet that a CDMA iPhone would not also carry a GSM/WCDMA chip for international roaming capability. That would be a definite deal-breaker for me. It's been such a joy being able to have a phone I can use overseas.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Choice is good. Hopefully Apple makes available the iPhone to all of the carriers who meet their requirements. Customers should have a choice of what network they want to use based on the quality in the area they live or the plans that work best for them. What a concept! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.