Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatguysmells

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
Pandora
Don't encourage the non GSM providers. That is like feeding the trolls.

Well, if you have to do it at least make it all in one device. Don't splinter the iphone into two types....

Understandable. Atnt works really well in Texas, I looked at their coverage map. But you might not know this so let me enlighten you, most of the country does not live in TEXAS. I know, I know it's shocking. :rolleyes:

BigTRQ

macrumors regular
May 30, 2007
I'm consistently amazed at all of the "it'll never come to Verizon," or, "Apple won't make two versions" comments. Other phone companies make CDMA and GSM versions of phones every day. Apple not releasing a CDMA version really doesn't make sense. All that cash to burn, and yet no CDMA iPhone. Isn't the old saying, "you have to spend money to make money" fitting here?

At some point, won't shareholders demand more markets for the iPhone so that revenues (and thusly dividends) continue to rise? Isn't that why Apple is in business, to make money?

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I'll still believe it when I see it. Personally, I don't see the profit in developing and releasing a phone that would only be compatible on what...3 networks worldwide?

Secondly - would Apple need to start running two separate commercials for two iPhones on different carriers with presumably different capabilities? Seems unlikely, but that would be a problem for Apple marketing.

But I admit that Apple is far smarter than I am in these matters. Perhaps they've found a way to make it work.

(And the fact that this is a WSJ article with a dual byline does lend this rumor some cred)

kdarling

macrumors P6
so would it still be technically not possible to surf & talk at the same time on the CDMA iPhone...?

There are two ways to do talk+data at the same time on a CDMA phone:

1. The device maker can implement SVDO (simultaneous voice+EVDO).
  2. They could use VoIP.
Neither seems likely to me, so it's likely they would ignore the situation since that's the way things are now.

I would say it is more likely Apple is working on 4g technology now and will carry on with AT&T until the LTE rollout on VZW is up to scratch. Then you might see an iPhone on Verizon.

Verizon will pass 100 million LTE customers later this year, so they could make a combo CDMA+LTE phone. However, Verizon recently said they don't expect to have any LTE handsets until 2011... although they said if demand is there, it might be very early 2011.

GSM = talk and data at the same time.

UMTS 3G = talk and data at the same time. GSM 2G = not.

LTE = Long Term Evolution is the 4th generation standard for GSM technology and it is based on HSPA/UMTS.

LTE is 4G for anyone, and Verizon is way ahead deploying it in the USA. LTE is not based on HSPA/UMTS. It's closer to WiMAX in many ways than to either CDMA2000 or GSM.

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
This is pretty funny. I can remember so many people on these forums saying the iPhone would NEVER come to Verizon. Man are they eating their words right now. :p

Not sure why. This is not only a rumor, but repetitive one. I still think this is just to keep ATT on its toes. Maybe they will do one when LTE comes out, but there is no reason to create an entirely seperate phone the year before everyone jumps to a global celluar standard. I also think that 90% of people who want an iphone have one. Its been out long enough that people have had several chances to get out of a 2 year contract.

Until Verizon solves the data while using voice issue, I wouldnt even think about switching.

thatguysmells

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
Pandora
CDMA = talk or data but not at the same time. Phones are programmed to a specific network at the factor. There is no such thing as an unlocked CDMA phone. CDMA is used in the US on Verizon and Sprint, the legacy (old) network for Bell and Telus in Canada and on some smaller budget carriers in other parts of the world.

GSM = talk and data at the same time. Phones can be manufactured as not locked into a specific carrier or as locked to a specific carrier. In either case, all GSM phones use SIM cards which can be swapped into other GSM phones as long that phone is not locked to a different carrier. GSM is used all over the world and has become the standard in most of Canada now which used to be split like the US is between GSM and CDMA carriers. AT&T and T-Mobile in the US are both GSM but T-Mobile uses strange 1700 Hz frequency for their 3G service making phones specific to their service not work on AT&T or visa versa.

HSPA/UMTS = 3G GSM. It uses a standard called WCDMA for the radio interface which is not to be confused with CDMA (CDMA2000). It uses SIM cards like earlier GSM standards like Edge.

LTE = Long Term Evolution is the 4th generation standard for GSM technology and it is based on HSPA/UMTS.

SIM = Subscriber Information Module. It is a small card that stores your identity including your phone number on the cellular network. Some phones also use it to store a small contact list.

The iPhone 3G/3GS work on both Edge (2G) and HSPA/UMTS (3G) networks it does not work with CDMA2000 networks.

As far as "talk or data but not at the same time" is concerned, when I'm on my Blackberry Storm 2 and I'm taking a call, I can still get notifications that I have a new email or text message. If I'm browsing the internet I can still receive a call. So please tell me how "talk or data but not at the same time" affect real world usage? I just hear that statement all the time from Atnt fanboys and I think it's misleading.

JennaLDS

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2009
Utah!
Jessica: No I know that AT&T can screw me but they have not so far, I have had them for years, and they have not screwed me near as bad as Verizon. :/

littvay

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
I was planning on getting the Nexus One once it came to Verizon...but this sounds like a good enough reason to wait a few months.

And I would bet money this is what they wanted to accomplish by placing this leak in such credible source.

rossihvac

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Why would Apple put the iPhone on an inferior network? Verizon has great coverage but their network is slow and in my opinion all the verizon fan boys bogging down the network might make it worse than AT&T. I guess I'm just lucky that my service works perfectly on long island

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
As far as "talk or data but not at the same time" is concerned, when I'm on my Blackberry Storm 2 and I'm taking a call, I can still get notifications that I have a new email or text message. If I'm browsing the internet I can still receive a call. So please tell me how "talk or data but not at the same time" affect real world usage? I just hear that statement all the time from Atnt fanboys and I think that statement is misleading.

Isn't the Blackberry Push service what allows the txt and email notifications? That's different from pure data usage I thought? The Blackberry voodoo?

Of course your phone will ring if you are surfing.....the real test is to answer the phone and go BACK to surfing while talking on speaker. That's what phones on AT&T can do from what I understand.

-Kevin

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Since when do companies care about wasting resources?

Apple cares very much about wasting resources. They only have limited resources (people) to plan these events. To have them gearing up for a media event 6 days prior to WWDC would have a detrimental effect on WWDC itself.

morhr1

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2010
Was walking out door to buy gsm/cdma phone made by others from Verizon when I heard this news. If iPhone is coming what do I do? I would wish Apple, like RIM, Samsung and others would make dual phone, but I've carried two phones for the last 7 years so I guess to have an iPhone I can continue doing the same.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Isn't the Blackberry Push service what allows the txt and email notifications? That's different from pure data usage I thought? The Blackberry voodoo?

Of course your phone will ring if you are surfing.....the real test is to answer the phone and go BACK to surfing while talking on speaker. That's what phones on AT&T can do from what I understand.

-Kevin

Bingo, It's what allows me to read an email (and any attachments) on the move (normally on the train in my case) while talking to the person who has just sent it. In my case it's O2 and not AT&T however the technology is the same.

Rubey81

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2009
I'm guessing Apple will start moving the current iPhone 3Gs production line over to using CDMA tech and that will be for Verizon users.

New iPhone HD will be for AT&T users.:D

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
If this is true, which it probably is due to WSJ being pretty reliable, then it is probably a deal cut with Verizon which is lucrative for Apple. So, expect an expensive phone or more likely an expensive plan. The economics of this would not work any other way other than Verizon making it worthwhile for Apple to do the required engineering.

All Verizon has to do is provide a bunch of customers. That is enough to make it worthwhile for Apple.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
I don't know anything about the technology, but I don't see why not? Or is it like AT&T vs. Tmobile 3G?

CDMA phones need to be coded for the network they're going to be used on, whereas GSM phones have that function done through their SIM cards.

Have they got enough customers to justify the costs of producing and supporting a different iPhone?

The "leaked" price (cuz it's unconfirmed) for Verizon's Nexus One is higher than the Nexus One for T-Mobile. Apple might charge more for a CDMA iPhone to make up for the lower demand.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
All Verizon has to do is provide a bunch of customers. That is enough to make it worthwhile for Apple.

Have they got enough customers to justify the costs of producing and supporting a different iPhone?

Apple is a business and they care about their bottom line. Why else do you think they are sitting on a cash pile that large?

The iPhone 3g/3gs are sold worldwide. There are more sales outside of the US than in it. a CDMA iPhone would be very limited in comparison.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Does anyone know why it could possibly be on the 22nd of June instead of waiting for the start of WWDC to release this?

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
A CDMA iPhone doesn't automatically mean Verizon.

Couldn't it also be a model for China? Don't they make a CDMA version for that market already?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.