Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

112705-iphone_4_two_better_than_one.jpg

BGR reports that sales of the Verizon iPhone have not quite lived up to Apple's and Verizon's expectations, offering exact unit sales data aggregated from five Apple retail store locations showing that Verizon iPhone only barely outsold the AT&T version over the Verizon device's first five days of availability.
Below are unit sales totals from five Apple stores combined (including two very, very prominent Apple stores) showing both Verizon and AT&T iPhone 4 sales during the Verizon iPhone's first five days of availability:

- Thursday: Verizon = 909, AT&T = 539
- Friday: Verizon = 916, AT&T = 680
- Saturday: Verizon = 660, AT&T = 471
- Sunday: Verizon = 796, AT&T = 701
- Monday: Verizon = 711, AT&T = 618
According to the source, pre-orders for the Verizon iPhone came in at about 550,000. And the first few days of in-store availability did in fact see strong Verizon iPhone sales relative to the AT&T iPhone, but that performance quickly tailed off to the point where sales are nearly equal.

Many observers had expected a rush of customers heading from AT&T to Verizon as the new device debuted, even though most AT&T iPhone customers are still currently tied to contracts. But the new data shows that, at least at a handful of Apple stores, AT&T iPhones are selling nearly as quickly as Verizon ones even as the latter should be seeing a huge surge with its debut.

What would possibly have been even more interesting is to see a comparison of this data to sales at the same locations just prior to the Verizon iPhone launch, in order to see just how sales of the AT&T iPhone have been affected by the availability of the Verizon model and to get a gauge of how total U.S. iPhone sales have changed with the new dual-carrier arrangement.

The report also offers statistics on Verizon iPhone purchasers, presumably gathered by Verizon and/or Apple at the time of purchase. According to the report, 14% of Verizon iPhone purchasers were coming over from an AT&T iPhone, while 30% had been Android users and 25% had been BlackBerry users.

Article Link: Verizon iPhone Sales Barely Topping AT&T iPhone Sales at Apple Stores?

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of potential Verizon customers are waiting until June to see if the iPhone 5 merges both phones.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Has the iNovelty-Gadget worn off? Or perhaps people are just waiting for the new version due this summer.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

quagmire said:
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of potential Verizon customers are waiting until June to see if the iPhone 5 merges both phones.

I think this will have a lot to do with it. Why be stuck for two years when the next iPhone is 6 months away?

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
What happened to all of the AT&T haters? So much posturing. I have seen a lot of people on this board actually make the move (but the move was to Android.)

Lets be honest. The iPhone is a great product that is being castrated by limited carriers and Apples policies. I really love the iPhone but I also really love a 60 dollar a month bill, WiMax, and the ability to use my phone the way I want to.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Not surprising. Its not a new device, just a new carrier. I think many people are waiting to see what happens at WWDC as well.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
30% ex-Android users moving to iPhone on Verizon? That's a big plus for Apple.

Admittedly, they might be Apple-fans who were tied to Verizon and couldn't get the iPhone previously.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
they need to take the long view: everyone knows an iPhone 5 is due in a few months, and most people (I'm guessing) don't want to shell out another few hundred dollars for the ETF. but over time, if verizon's network holds up, i expect they will get a lot of att defectors.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Two things:

1. People waiting for the revised version of the iphone, and

2. Current customers are locked into AT&T or Verizon smart phones and cannot upgrade at the present moment.

ApplLover

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
Panama
Not surprising.

I do not find this surprising at all.
The Verizon iPhone is as one other user put it "castrated".

It just does not deliver in speed and full capabilities like it should.

This release was way too hyped. I guess when all the information was in it just showed that for now AT&T is the place to be if you want the best iPhone experience.

eh270

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
It's true that people might be waiting for WWDC but that's not something that is carrier-specific, really. Maybe the Verizon-only limitations (data, conference calling, etc.) offset the perceived network advantage?

JAYnLA

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
Los Angeles
Yep. I'm waiting.

I would never buy a piece of tech when I know that a new version is on the way in a couple of months. Also, people seem to really care about the 'can't surf while on the phone' thing. I personally have never done both at the same time, so it doesn't matter to moi.

ObsidianIce

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Seventh Circle of Hell
Unlikely but if this happens to stay steady...it's not a bad thing..basically means that Apple is doubling their sales. How many phone makes can claim that? I do agree that most people are waiting for June to make a switch as well as a lot of people are probably doing what I am...waiting out my contract. We have 2 iPhones in the house, no way I would want to pay two termination fees. Att is not that bad for me.

xlosltove777

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
Long Island, NY
Along with the people waiting for the next iPhone release there are also a lot of Verizon users just waiting for the upgrade eligibility date. A lot of Verizon users got fed up with waiting for the iPhone and went with an Android phone. I got a Droid X last year because I started traveling around more for work and now I'm not eligible for an upgrade until 2012.

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009

Yeah ok so how many people are going to switch now when it is 100% certain the majority of early adopters have a contract that ends either this June or next June. Noone wants to buy out of their contract to get the same phone they already have. Perhaps people will buy out of their contract when a new phone is offered in June OR they will wait till their contract expires. The only people who are buying phones now are new customers who aren't tied to a contract or hardware upgraders who were already on verizon. Of course they knew that would happen they aren't idiots

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
So I really want to know what AT&T iPhone sales at Apple stores looked like prior to the Verizon iPhone release. Have total sales nearly doubled or is Verizon eating into AT&T's share? If total sales have increased significantly then having two carriers is helping Apple's bottom line, but if not then the same customers are just splitting between carriers.

I am surprised that Verizon and Apple expected really high iPhone-4 sales on Verizon. The biggest factors working against this were:

1) AT&T's preparation for this with extreme increases in early-termination-fees in 2010.

2) iPhone-4 has no "novelty" value for those looking to show off their phone to their friends -- you are certainly not going to be the first kid on the block with an iPhone-4.

3) Many of the main-stream media stories on Verizon iPhone mentioned the expected release of iPhone-5 this summer, hence many folks who normally don't keep track of that were made aware.

4) Verizon customers are likely by-and-large waiting for a 4G LTE phone for their next upgrade.

All this tells me that Apple needs to get LTE on the iPhone-5 and release it this summer for both AT&T and Verizon. Otherwise, Apple is going lose sales on Verizon to other LTE phones. However, this will make many Verizon customers upset since the second-hand market for a CDMA iPhone-4 probably won't be as good as a GSM iPhone-4 due to limited overseas markets for resale.

hifoo45

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
I think a lot of people will switch over when iphone5 comes out, they can "deal" with AT&T service for a few more months then make the switch when their contract it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.