Verizon iPhone to Come After CES?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Businessweek reports that Apple is planning on introducing the Verizon iPhone sometime after CES 2011, according to a person familiar with Apple's plans. Businessweek speculates the anticipated event could come before Valentines day which falls on February 14th, but there's no clear indication how they came to that date.

The article debates how much of an impact a Verizon iPhone will have on AT&T's bottom line. The hassle of switching carriers as well as high early termination fees are cited as reasons that AT&T may not lose as many customers as some believe. AT&T has been hampered with coverage issues for some of its customers. Verizon is believed to be able to comfortably handle the sudden growth of iPhone users, according to one analyst.

Earlier today we discussed the possibility of hearing about a Verizon iPhone as early as CES next week, but it seems more likely that Apple will keep that announcement for themselves during an early 2011 media event.

Article Link: Verizon iPhone to Come After CES?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
The more rumors I see, the less likely I think a Verizon iPhone is.

O and A

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New York City
My theory is they will do a pre annoumcent like did they with the original iphone.

So late jan announcment available in June or in march.

This gives time for people to prepare not to renew their contract if they were thinking about sticking with their current carrier.

Also I assume phone needs to go through FCC approval process and apple will likely announce it before it submits it.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Please let it be true so this will be over.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
I'm going to bookmark this thread so that I can laugh when that date passes by without any Verizon iPhone just like 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
My theory is they will do a pre annoumcent like did they with the original iphone.

So late jan announcment available in June or in march.

This gives time for people to prepare not to renew their contract if they were thinking about sticking with their current carrier.

Also I assume phone needs to go through FCC approval process and apple will likely announce it before it submits it.
It takes less than 90 days to get approval from FCC (see iPad 3G), and Apple only originally pre-announced the original phone because it was their first move into the market, and it was getting to the point that they had to reveal something otherwise something would leak out prior to Jobs's announcement.

Also, it doesn't make business sense for Apple to "give time for people to prepare." Apple wants to sell these things on Verizon yesterday.

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Anytime is good for me. Just hopefully before March when my current contract with Verizon ends, so I can get my hands on the phone without having to wait. :D

bigjohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2000
Monrovia, CA
all i know is that i talk on my iphone for more than 2 minutes once a month and during that call, the signal drops at least 3 times no matter where i am.

revdrcr

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2010
Who cares?

Verizon could've had the iPhone 4 years ago, but they said no and AT&T said yes. I have been using iPhone on AT&T since mid-2009, 3G, 3GS, and now iPhone 4, and have used it up and down the East Coast, and have had no problems with AT&T's service. I know others have, but the majority of iPhone users have not. If, and when, the iPhone ever does show up with Verizon, it will be interesting to see how they handle the massive increase in data and calls. Frankly, if it had been Verizon from the start, I doubt their track record would be that much better than AT&T.

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
AT&T will rely on earning ETFs in the next fiscal year if this ancient rumor really comes true. :D

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Enough with the pushing bs. We already pushed from nov to dec to Jan.

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Verizon could've had the iPhone 4 years ago, but they said no and AT&T said yes. I have been using iPhone on AT&T since mid-2009, 3G, 3GS, and now iPhone 4, and have used it up and down the East Coast, and have had no problems with AT&T's service. I know others have, but the majority of iPhone users have not. If, and when, the iPhone ever does show up with Verizon, it will be interesting to see how they handle the massive increase in data and calls. Frankly, if it had been Verizon from the start, I doubt their track record would be that much better than AT&T.
Android users typically use more data than iOS users, so Verizon is prepared. Also voice and data uses separate bands on Verizon. That's why there is no simultaneous voice + data on Verizon. So if anything data will cripple, which is unlikely, and voice will not be affected.

EDIT: This is also part of the business week article.

Verizon has largely avoided coverage snafus while handling soaring demand. It has invested heavily in powerful cell tower gear and new fiber-optic lines to connect the towers to the Internet. "Even if Verizon's iPhone customers go wild next year, [the carrier] can easily handle the capacity," says Michael Howard, co-founder of Infonetics Research in Campbell, Calif.

rcjh22

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
Do you think they might do an iPad event with a one more thing.. The iPhone coming to verizon in June or whenever they update the iPhone?

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
I'm going to bookmark this thread so that I can laugh when that date passes by without any Verizon iPhone just like 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010.
I'm going to bookmark this thread so that I can laugh at aristotle when there's a Verizon iPhone by that date.

Actually, I've got better things to do. So I'll laugh at him now because it will happen.

Salvatore22

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2010
New Jersey
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

As much as I would love for this to happen it just seems to me like the boy whir cried wolf

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
I'm going to bookmark this thread so that I can laugh at aristotle when there's a Verizon iPhone by that date.

Actually, I've got better things to do. So I'll laugh at him now because it will happen.
Uh huh. Keep telling yourself that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.