Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rodjam

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2008
iOS on Verizon website

On verizonwireless.com, under smartphones there is a menu to select by OS, and iOS is listed there, but it is grayed out...for now anyway.

Attachments

• verizon.jpg
    verizon.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 364

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
It has got to be legal

I just think that the reason there isn't a Verizon iPhone has to be some combination of exclusivity agreement with AT&T and Verizon resisting paying Apple enough for the right to sell the iPhone. The first reason is mainly legal and it would make sense to me that an exclusivity period would expire at the end of the year. The second reason has already been worked out as I think these rumors have merit and so a deal must have been struck with Verizon. So it seems that an announcement could happen on January 1. Apple's biggest concern is that people will stop buying AT&T iPhones while they wait for the Verizon to be available, and then there is some huge shortage of V iPhones (VIP phones? Vipephones? Vie Phones? I think we need a commonly accepted term for these new beasts). A shortage would slow down sales even more.

Macman1993

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
And the process continues,

Its coming on date X!

As date X approaches: its coming on date Y now!

Date Y: It will be here for date Z!

Give it up already.

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
On verizonwireless.com, under smartphones there is a menu to select by OS, and iOS is listed there, but it is grayed out...for now anyway.

I've noticed that before. It might be a Verizon iPhone hint, or because of the iPad.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Android users typically use more data than iOS users, so Verizon is prepared. Also voice and data uses separate bands on Verizon. That's why there is no simultaneous voice + data on Verizon. So if anything data will cripple, which is unlikely, and voice will not be affected.

EDIT: This is also part of the business week article.

From ITBusinessEdge (DEC 1 2010):

Research from online statistics provider StatCounter indicates that last month, BlackBerry OS accounted for 34.3 percent of mobile Internet users in the U.S., beating out iOS' 33 percent and Android's 23.8 percent, FierceMobileContent reports. Globally, Symbian leads all platforms with 31.9 percent usage, followed by iOS at 21.9 percent and BlackBerry OS at 19.3 percent.

triceretops

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
Illinois
What's wrong with AT&T?

I just dropped sprint a few weeks ago and finally got an iPhone. What have I encountered? Fewer dropped calls, better sound quality, an awesome phone. I'm happy. What's with all these whiners?:)

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
So according to "a person", it "could" happen "sometime after" a certain date? Wow, great insight, you analysts! I think they nailed that one.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
All I know is I am dropping AT&T like a hot potato as soon as I can (i.e. day one). As if some silly $325 ETF is going to hold ME back!

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
From ITBusinessEdge (DEC 1 2010):

Research from online statistics provider StatCounter indicates that last month, BlackBerry OS accounted for 34.3 percent of mobile Internet users in the U.S., beating out iOS' 33 percent and Android's 23.8 percent, FierceMobileContent reports. Globally, Symbian leads all platforms with 31.9 percent usage, followed by iOS at 21.9 percent and BlackBerry OS at 19.3 percent.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374032,00.asp
http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/12/08/arieso.says.android.data.use.double.iphone/

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I just dropped sprint a few weeks ago and finally got an iPhone. What have I encountered? Fewer dropped calls, better sound quality, an awesome phone. I'm happy. What's with all these whiners?:)
Many of them live in places other than Illinois, where the AT&T service might be good.

Notoriously, NYC and SF are two major metropolitan markets with poor AT&T performance. AT&T might be great in Dallas, but if you live in San Francisco's Mission District or Manhattan's Greenwich Village, that doesn't help you one bit.

The biggest problem is that no American mobile operator has substantially improved their customer satisfaction rating. In the past year, AT&T's rating dropped, while Sprint's nudged up a little, but they are all abysmal. The entire American cellular industry sucks, not just one particular carrier.

People in the United States are simply not getting the same quality of service as, oh, let's say NTT DoCoMo customers, despite paying an arm and a leg. And it's not relative. The entire American mobile telephony industry is rated amongst the worst business sectors by consumers. Most Americans don't know how great cellular telephony service can be elsewhere, and yet they are skewering American mobile operators in customer satisfaction surveys.

Last edited:

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010

Depends on where you live. Some people live in good places, and some live in bad places.

RobinMc

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
Iphone for Verizon?

Ok OK OK.... I wanna have a positive attitude about a Verizon iPhone...Honest I do! It's absolutely CRUEL of APPLE to hold back from allowing iPhone to be part of the Verizon family.... especially when there are sooooo many Verizon cell phone holders that ALSO possess the MAC~IPAD~ITOUCH, etc.... My renewal for Verizon is in March as many others I see. I HOPE the GOSSIP about a Verizon IPhone is TRUE! Or I will just get the excellent rated ANDROID! IF APPLE keeps dragging their feet.... I truley Believe Verizon just MAY come up with a phone that is better than the iPhone! I'm just sayin......

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
February 1 is "After CES". April 1 is after CES. Hell, December 31, 2015 is "sometime after CES 2011".

I guess a Verizon iPhone IS coming after CES.

:rolleyes:

Mark

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
How is the Android OS? Do you like it more than iOS?

They both are very strong OSes at this point. I have had an iPhone 4 and Droid X with FroYo. Thank god for contact cancellations. :p If I had to stick with one for a couple years it would be Android. iOS is fantastic, but I'm sick of the Walled Garden. Android can do so many of those things I have always wanted so bad but iOS could never provide.

I love them both, but Android is a touch better in my book and only getting better.

Leoff

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2004
t's absolutely CRUEL of APPLE to hold back from allowing iPhone to be part of the Verizon family.... IF APPLE keeps dragging their feet.... I truley Believe Verizon just MAY come up with a phone that is better than the iPhone! I'm just sayin......

Um... Apple offered the phone to Verizon first, and Verizon turned them down. This isn't Apple "holding back" on anything.

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
att has stepped their coverage up BIG in my area. The way I see it- why switch to a slower network? (4G excluded)

JAYnLA

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
Los Angeles
But what about us?

I don't know if we'll be in the stats of defectors to Verizon. I ditched AT&T early last year because I didn't feel that I was getting what I was paying for. I've been waiting on the Verizon iPhone ever since.

So when the stats come out -- don't be fooled. Some of us left long ago.

black743

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
Huntington, WV
I just love reading from the folks who are convinced that Verizon will never ever ever get the iPhone. Do you honestly believe that nonsense? Apple will essentially double its market share in the U.S.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Um... Apple offered the phone to Verizon first, and Verizon turned them down. This isn't Apple "holding back" on anything.

It's unclear if Apple offered the phone to Verizon first. The various histories all say that Cingular's CEO knew about the plans months before Apple decided they also needed to approach Verizon.

In other words, Apple most likely wanted both carriers at first, and/or kept after Verizon mostly to try to get a better deal out of Cingular.

But without a prototype, and with what must've sounded like a crazy business plan, along with the Moto-Apple ROKR failure, Verizon turned them down. Back then, there was no guarantee that Apple could pull off a sellable device.

It was a whole year after Apple approached Verizon, before they and Cingular signed a deal, though.

Last edited:

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I just love reading from the folks who are convinced that Verizon will never ever ever get the iPhone. Do you honestly believe that nonsense? Apple will essentially double its market share in the U.S.
It's not "never." It's a matter of timing.

I'm not convinced that Verizon will get the iPhone in the next year. I'm thinking more like 2013.

There's a cost associated with developing a handset with a different technology, the COGS would be different, yet Apple would be compelled to sell it at the same price. The margins would be different. There's also the added cost of customer support, engineering, documentation, inventory, etc. for two different devices.

Depending on if you talk to the CDMA or GSM industry groups, they will say that GSM/UTMS captures 80-85% of the global telephony market. It's not just about selling to Verizon Wireless. The worldwide revenue potential for a CDMA handset is considerably less.

There is also a much harder metric to consider. If using the handset on different network technologies results in a different customer satisfaction rating, Apple may have to consider that. That's one reason why I think Apple may wait until 2012 or 2013 to release a CDMA/LTE iPhone. There is an upgrade path for the HSPA handset: HSPA+ 14, HSPA+ 21, or HSPA+ 42. There is no such upgrade path for EV-DO handsets, as far as I can tell.

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
I have to pay to watch Hi Def on my OWN Hi Def TV

cvaldes sez:

People in the United States are simply not getting the same quality of service as, oh, let's say NTT DoCoMo customers, despite paying an arm and a leg. And it's not relative. The entire American mobile telephony industry is rated amongst the worst business sectors by consumers. Most Americans don't know how great cellular telephony service can be elsewhere, and yet they are skewering American mobile operators in customer satisfaction surveys.

To clarify: Comcast has been rated as the worst American company for 5 years in a row. American mobile Telephony is somewhere under Commiekast.

Still sucking.

Yes WAI

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.