Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shen

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
it is like watching the religious nuts predict the end of the world...

"2000! 2002! 2010! 2012! This time for sure!"

Granted, at some point they will both be right, but wouldn't it just be easier to admit that they have no idea?

MonkeyET

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Indio, CA
Verizon is believed to be able to comfortably handle the sudden growth of iPhone users, according to one analyst.

I find this hilarious. Who really knows what they can handle until it happens. I am sure AT&T thought they were prepared, but how exactly does one prepare? And what exactly constitutes an iPhone user, since everyone is different?

shen

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
It does.

Why does Scandinavia have better mobile telephony and broadband Internet systems with largely the same approximate population densities as the U.S.? At much lower pricing?

Actually, much of Europe is this way, particularly the larg.... snip

Look, the whole "freemarket competition is good" horse manure they like to wheel out just isn't true in all cases. If America could get that through its collective skull maybe we could get cell service that didn't suck and internet speeds above carrier pigeon, but until then...

In the mean time, watch as a few companies jump on "4G" networks even though there is not yet any such thing, and then we will repeat the network type disaster that makes a special iPhone for verizon necessary in the first place.

America: Learn from history? We don't remember breakfast.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
And the process continues,

Its coming on date X!

As date X approaches: its coming on date Y now!

Date Y: It will be here for date Z!

Give it up already.

There has only ever been one date: Early 2011. The rumors stopped being pure speculation earlier this year, and they have all pointed to 2011. Naturally, the speculation has gravitated to CES, but that's just speculation. There's a difference between pure speculation (what you're claiming is going on) and the substantiated information that the WSJ, NYT, and others have been printing for almost a year now.

The later in 2011 that it debuts, however, the more likely that Verizon and AT&T will be on different release schedules (i.e. June: AT&T; subsequent January: Verizon). A continued but limited time exclusivity to AT&T (from June to January each year) is looking more and more likely to me. Might also make sense given the difficulty that Apple had meeting demand this past year.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
It does.

Why does Scandinavia have better mobile telephony and broadband Internet systems with largely the same approximate population densities as the U.S.? At much lower pricing?

Actually, much of Europe is this way, particularly the larger former Eastern Bloc countries. America's laggard behavior is not justified by population density statistics. Note that American per capita income is much higher that most of those places. A close comparison (population density, income, etc.) would be Sweden, yet Sweden's technology infrastructure blows doors on the U.S.

Explain that.

I will remind you that Canada deployed their HSPA+ networks about 6-12 months before the U.S.

Now explain that one. Yeah, you can't.

Looking at the bigger picture, the U.S. needs to be compared with the rest of the world since technology knows no boundaries. The United States had the greatest landline telephony system, the first big cable TV installation, and yet they have let most of the world surpass them. Including little countries like Malta as well as big countries like Indonesia. If America is to be a world competitor, they must assess performance against the rest of the world.

No more of this bubble crap that you assume. It's almost 2011. We don't live in a fishbowl.
because the poor sods wont admit there slow at taking on tech word they think industrialised design will do some of us want more than angry birds to play with

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Look, the whole "freemarket competition is good" horse manure they like to wheel out just isn't true in all cases. If America could get that through its collective skull maybe we could get cell service that didn't suck and internet speeds above carrier pigeon, but until then...

In the mean time, watch as a few companies jump on "4G" networks even though there is not yet any such thing, and then we will repeat the network type disaster that makes a special iPhone for verizon necessary in the first place.

America: Learn from history? We don't remember breakfast.
I know, I know.

After all, I'm the one using a pay-as-you-go dumbphone. That's really the best price-performance value for low call volume folks like me. With Google Voice/Gizmo5, plus incoming calls to work, most of my calls are free anyhow. Paying for telephone calls is only when I'm walking about and care enough to pick up. I'm not paying for phone calls at home and work.

Paying for telephony is more of an amusement, not a utility. At least for me, here on 30 Dec 2010. I'm only averaging about $5 a month on telephony. I expect that to drop to $4.50 or $4 in 2011.

bergmef

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
North East, MD, USA
It does.

Actually, much of Europe is this way, particularly the larger former Eastern Bloc countries. America's laggard behavior is not justified by population density statistics. Note that American per capita income is much higher that most of those places. A close comparison (population density, income, etc.) would be Sweden, yet Sweden's technology infrastructure blows doors on the U.S.

Explain that.

I will remind you that Canada deployed their HSPA+ networks about 6-12 months before the U.S.

Now explain that one. Yeah, you can't.

Looking at the bigger picture, the U.S. needs to be compared with the rest of the world since technology knows no boundaries. The United States had the greatest landline telephony system, the first big cable TV installation, and yet they have let most of the world surpass them. Including little countries like Malta as well as big countries like Indonesia. If America is to be a world competitor, they must assess performance against the rest of the world.

No more of this bubble crap that you assume. It's almost 2011. We don't live in a fishbowl.

I don't think we do too bad compared to some. Someone mentioned sweden in an earlier post. Looking up their broadband speeds, I saw anywhere from 10 to 50M listed, I can get here. Verizon Fios is up to 50M and comcast is offering up to 40 in my area. On the mobile side, verizon's lte covers 10 times the people that sweden does with their lte (100 million vs 10 million) so that isn't lagging too far behind either. I think we are doing ok.

That said, I have no att coverage at home or work ... go figure.

Top 10 Countries

Following are the top ten countries of the world with respect to their Broadband Internet speeds:

South Korea 17187 kbps
Japan 16,365 kbps
Lithuania 11,295 kbps
Sweden 11,280 kbps
Romania 10,236 kbps
Latvian 9,782 kbps
Bulgaria 9,074 kbps
Netherlands 8,734 kbps
Germany 7,447 kbps
Russian Federation 7,260 kbps

These results tell us that it does not matter how large or small your country is. The technology can be anywhere. In comparison to United States (U.S) on area basis, these countries are nothing. But U.S. in no where in the Top 10. United states have only download speed of 6,198 kbps. Korea’s broadband speed is almost 3 times than that of United States.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I don't think we do too bad compared to some. Someone mentioned sweden in an earlier post. Looking up their broadband speeds, I saw anywhere from 10 to 50M listed, I can get here. Verizon Fios is up to 50M and comcast is offering up to 40 in my area. On the mobile side, verizon's lte covers 10 times the people that sweden does with their lte (100 million vs 10 million) so that isn't lagging too far behind either. I think we are doing ok.

That said, I have no att coverage at home or work ... go figure.
Yeah, go look at what Swedes pay for their broadband versus what you pay for Verizon FIOS. The Europeans pay peanuts for great speeds. And they get those speeds riding on the train. Wireless. Two years ago.

Also remember that Sweden's LTE covers a far larger percentage of their population than the U.S. The U.S. population is about 308 million; Sweden's population is about 9 million, 1 million less than what you claim Sweden's LTE covers. Meaning LTE covers 33% of the U.S., and 111% of Sweden. Those are some damned funny figures.

Even worse? Russia. They are basically twice the size of America with half the population. And yet they have broadband speeds that blows doors on U.S., based on the figures you dug up. (Thanks for justifying my argument.)

You will need to do your analysis very carefully. Remember that every single technology analyst work his/her salt will say that the U.S.A. has fallen behind in terms of broadband Internet and mobile telephony. It's not just me saying it.

Thanks for your research.

Godspeed, son.

Last edited:

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
I'm going to bookmark this thread so that I can laugh when that date passes by without any Verizon iPhone just like 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010.

It's a tough world we live in.

Bookmarked for the call-out when it's announced.

cheers
JohnG

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Keep your bookmark, but most of those cowards will leave the site.

I've accumulated a few myself ("AAPL will be $x on this date" or "iPhone sales will be n"). They are hilarious bookmarks. The stock prediction threads are the best because I can quantify how wrong these people were.

I've seen the most vociferous posters simply vanish.

brianfast

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
The problem is there isn't enough telecom competition in the United States. Deregulation would go a long way for lowering phone bills.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
it is like watching the religious nuts predict the end of the world...

"2000! 2002! 2010! 2012! This time for sure!"

Granted, at some point they will both be right, but wouldn't it just be easier to admit that they have no idea?

Your right. And that point will be in January.

Based off solid evidence.... Verizon iPad, verizon CEO wishing for iPhone, AT&T early upgrade to iPhone 4, android activations passing ios activations, then there are about 50 analysts saying when it will come out in Jan bit the not too credible.

Sonny1

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
New York, NY
But wait, there's less!

I'm so excited by the thought that Verizon will be selling iPhones, that the rumor, starting here right now, that an iPhone will be introduced on January 2 by New York's Carnegie Deli has me ordering corned beaf on rye sandwiches to be delivered just before lunchtime.
As a Verizon customer locked into a two-year contract, I would be more interested in the advent of two tin cans attached by a length of string.
The more likely result of Verizon armed with iPhones is heavier traffic, slower connections and more disconnects. Not to mention higher charges for wielders of iPhones that will suck up electrons as if they were light sabers.
Where's Darth Vader when we need him?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
My theory is they will do a pre annoumcent like did they with the original iphone.

So late jan announcment available in June or in march.

This gives time for people to prepare not to renew their contract if they were thinking about sticking with their current carrier.

Also I assume phone needs to go through FCC approval process and apple will likely announce it before it submits it.

My take is the Verizon iPhone will launch around mid-Jan right after CES. This will give enough buzz for MacWorld in SF.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I seriously have to laugh at these 'business analysts' with 'sources close' that have had everything wrong. WSJ? laughable. Businessweek? same. DigiTimes? they've had it wrong.

To put it bluntly, there is more of a chance that soap will be used in the men's restroom before Verizon gets the iPhone before, during, or immediately after CES.

Nothing to see with this rumour, except more VZW fanbois crying not only because 1) they still don't have the iPhone, and IMHO, won't until LTE gets rolled out to everyone, but 2) they believed the 'analysts' and 'sources' who got it wrong.

BL.

Freeport

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I'm getting a little tired of these Verizon rumors. They've been around for a long time, and nothing has happened. It seems obvious to me that everyone wants one so much, they're trying to imagine it into existence.

There might be a Verizon phone, but Apple won't break iPhone's product cycle by introducing a sister model 7 months after the iPhone 4, nor a half-upgrade 5 months before unveiling iPhone 5. It simply won't happen, because it's not the way Aple does business. If the phone arrives, it will arrive together with the iPhone 5. If. Isn't this obvious to anyone else?

sbcooler

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
NY
I switched on November 1st from Verizon to my first iPhone...the iPhone 4. I live on Long Island about 50 miles from New York City. And let me say this much. I only get about 1-2 dropped calls per month. The voice quality is great. I get at least as good reception as my old Verizon phone. I had some dead spots near the beach with Verizon...they are a little less dead on the AT&T iPhone. I am mostly in midtown Manhattan and the upper east and upper west side...so far the iPhone has excellent reception.

I see so many complaints with AT&T, yet I've been using Verizon for the past 10 years and it's no better...maybe even a little worse in my experience. And supposedly the data rate for emails and the internet is twice as fast on AT&T.

If Verizon got the phone and I could switch back I WOULD NOT DO IT. My experience so far at least is an order of magnitude better. I just don't get all the complaints. I wonder if that had more to do with a couple of years ago, unrealistic expectations and perhaps a few glitches along the way with smart phone growth?

In any event, I will hold this iPhone 4 for 2 years and until LTE comes out, probably upgrade in 2-3 years time to iPhone 6. That's the plan.

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I just dropped sprint a few weeks ago and finally got an iPhone. What have I encountered? Fewer dropped calls, better sound quality, an awesome phone. I'm happy. What's with all these whiners?:)

I can verify that. I used to live on the fourth floor of a building and right outside my window, 50 feet away, was a water tower right at my room's elevation. It was a direct line of sight. When I was living there, Sprint installed cell antennas all around the water tower. Reliabilty improved a little, but in spite of this, the sound quality on my Sprint phone was still terrible and I was getting dropped calls quite often (but not like before).

Now, I am on an AT&T Tracfone. The cell towers are on a hill two miles away. My call quality is vastly better and I never get dropped calls.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I'm getting a little tired of these Verizon rumors. They've been around for a long time, and nothing has happened. It seems obvious to me that everyone wants one so much, they're trying to imagine it into existence.

There might be a Verizon phone, but Apple won't break iPhone's product cycle by introducing a sister model 7 months after the iPhone 4, nor a half-upgrade 5 months before unveiling iPhone 5. It simply won't happen, because it's not the way Aple does business. If the phone arrives, it will arrive together with the iPhone 5. If. Isn't this obvious to anyone else?

But it's not a sister model it's just on another network, when apple brings the iPhone to other countries it's not at the same time as the product launch

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I don't believe Verizon is ready for a "sudden jump in users." I don't know about there 4G network, but I hit many dead spots with my 3G phone.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I like to switch devices too much to be on a CDMA network. The dirty little secret is Sprint and Verizon love their ability to lock out device ESN's. In addition, after the dust settels from the Verizon launch, the GSM versions should still have a better resale value.

Yes big red has good coverage, but all they need it the iPhone to really start showing people how ruthless they can be. Before the smartphone boom, Verizon was the WORST in dealing with customers. ATT has had a huge target put on them thanks to the iPhone. I think those ATT/iPhone users that wait before jumping might be suprised when 1 million + leave to Verizon how much the ATT network improves due to overload releif.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I couldn't care less about a CDMA iPhone (imo it won't happen). What I want next year is for Apple to unlock all existing US iPhones.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Picked up an iPhone today. I couldnt wait any longer. If I hear some more definite news about the Verizon iPhone then maybe I'll return this one. But I'm so happy to be back right now.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Is it time...

to start publishing rumors about rumors? It's just silly. First of all, iPhone on Verizon is not a big deal anymore. Yeah some people would appreciate it but that's it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.