Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Verizon iPhone to Launch February 3rd?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Boy Genius Report claims to have heard that the vacation blackout being imposed on Apple's retail store employees has been narrowed down to February 3rd-6th in several regions of the United Sates, suggesting that a major launch is scheduled for that weekend.
BGR has confirmed with a source close to Apple that the company has blacked out employee vacation requests between February 3rd and February 6th - Thursday through Sunday. The four-day vacation freeze has been confirmed to be in effect in several regions in the United States. A recent report suggested the vacation black-out would cover a period of three weeks beginning in late January and extending into February, which still could be true in some regions.
The report's source has not confirmed that the Verizon iPhone is in fact the device apparently being launched in that timeframe, although it certainly seems to be the most likely candidate at this time, and the apparent Thursday debut at the front of that window is a common day of the week for Verizon product launches.

In addition to Apple's vacation blackout, we've received a couple of tips claiming that Verizon is also imposing a vacation blackout in early February, although those claims remain unconfirmed.

Article Link: Verizon iPhone to Launch February 3rd?

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
I will be interested to see how the iPhone performs on Verizon vs ATT although I don't have any strong reason to switch at this point.

Comment

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
Perfect. My AT&T contract runs out then. If the rates are the same or better then I will switch to Verizon for my first iPhone, else stick with AT&T.

AT&T wants $25/month for 2GB service but my niece, who demoed her iPhone for my at Christmas, got unlimited service for only $20. Competition should favor the consumer so let the price wars begin ;)

Comment

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hopefully soon the Verizon iPhone rumors will come to an end so that people can start complaining about the Verizon network in some fashion or another. ;)

Comment

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I'm normally skeptical....but everything is lining up. I think this is it. Though i don't care, I'm happy with AT&T.

Comment

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
These marketing guys at Verizon are Geniuses

Feb 3rd, a reporter approaches a customer in line at Verizon and asks, “Why are you here? Excited about the new Verizon iPhone?”

The potential customer responds, “I can’t wait to get my new Verizon iPhone and all of the new features such as….

-Slower speed (1mb versus 7mb)
-Inability to surf and talk at the same time (no concurrent voice and data)
-Loss of all my free Wifi Hotspots
-Loss of global coverage….I need to buy a second mobile phone for my next trip
-Higher bills and those famous Verizon nickel and dime charges
-Egotistical customer service

…I can’t wait!”

Verizon is laughing all the way to the bank.

Comment

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Am I missing something?

Why couldn't all this be for the iPad 2?

The 3G version could be GSM/CDMA and compatible with Verizon.

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
How many subscribers will AT&T lose if this comes true?
I do hope for a carrier price war so you US users can have some iPhone love for a little bit less too.

Comment

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Here we go again...

Isn't it right around that time, if not a little closer to MWSF that Apple generally announces their hardware refresh of the Macbook Pro and perhaps even the Mac Pro line? And didn't they do the same thing last year around the same time?

Not to dispel a rumour, but why must every site like this immediately jump to the conclusion that it is only for an iPhone for VZW, when there are MANY other factors that could play into this?

BL.

Comment

paulyras

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
Thank heavens. I can't wait for all of the perpetual ATT haters to get off my damn network so I can have all of the bandwidth to myself.

Wow, I sound like a grumpy old man.

Comment

mefck

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2010
Feb 3rd, a reporter approaches a customer in line at Verizon and asks, “Why are you here? Excited about the new Verizon iPhone?”

The potential customer responds, “I can’t wait to get my new Verizon iPhone and all of the new features such as….

…I can’t wait!”

Of course none of that matters if you can't connect or keep having dropped calls.

Comment

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
This is good for people sticking with AT&T. Some people will switch, more bandwidth for me. If you have an iPhone, you should care even if you aren't switching.

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Hopefully soon the Verizon iPhone rumors will come to an end so that people can start complaining about the Verizon network in some fashion or another. ;)

LOL! Agreed!

Also, the Sprint crowd will start complaining they are left behind! However, I assume once Verizon is on the map, others will follow quickly.

Comment

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.

…I can’t wait!”

On the other hand, they get a phone that actually, you know, can place and receive calls.

Anyone done an actual breakdown on price? Is a Verizon contract more expensive? That wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Comment

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
On the other hand, they get a phone that actually, you know, can place and receive calls.

Anyone done an actual comparison on price. Is a Verizon contract more expensive? That wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Every time I look Verizon and AT&T pretty much collude on pricing.

Comment

mickeyd26

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007

…I can’t wait!”

As long as I can actually make calls with the iPhone, then I'm GREAT. I had VZW before the iPhone and found coverage/call quality to be best. Switched to AT&T for the iPhone and call quality progressively got worse. After 3 years, dropped AT&T and went back to VZW. With the iPhone on VZW, it'll help balance the network congestion on AT&T and open up the iPhone to 3G in more areas of the US (albeit at slower 3G speeds compared AT&T).

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
i hope so, but this is an industry where the players seem only to raise their prices in response to their competitors raising prices, rather than lowering them.

Not sure I follow you??? My AT&T bill has gone down since my first iPhone 1.0 all in response to the need of the Mobile carriers to offer more for less money.

Comment

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Meh glad to see the back of this rumor - its been going on too long. If your Mobile networks were smart they would be like the ones we have in the UK ;)

All using the same specs/technology...hence why we've had the iPhone across ALL mobile operators in the UK for a while. Even the sub-network resellers such as Asda (Walmart) and Tesco (Who own 'Fresh & Easy' stores in the US) offer the iPhone on their tiny little networks :p

I think its pretty much the same across the whole of Europe, however cant say for sure.

I'm genuinely curious: Why have networks in the US opted to make life difficult? Why wont they just put standards in place like everyone else has? Its clearly worked... :confused:

Comment

paulyras

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
This is all shaping up to mean that we're not going to see much of a change to the iPhone until June 2012, when the LTE version, capable of working on either network, is released.

There's no way we're going to see the iPhone come to Verizon, then only 4 months later a whole new model on AT&T (or both). I predict at most an incremental processor upgrade on the Verizon version, which will land on the GSM versions later this spring / summer, perhaps with a bump in the theoretical data speed. Nothing more.

Comment

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Not sure I follow you??? My AT&T bill has gone down since my first iPhone 1.0 all in response to the need of the Mobile carriers to offer more for less money.

the example that always sticks with me is texts - i forget which carrier first raised the price of individual text messages, but within days all the major carriers matched the increase. here, from sen. kolh's letter to the carriers:

Your four companies are the nation’s leading wireless telephone companies, collectively serving more than 90% of the nation’s wireless subscribers. Since 2005, the cost for a consumer to send or receive a text message over each of your services has increased by 100%. Text messages were commonly priced at 10 cents per message sent or received in 2005. As of the end of the month, the rate per text message will have increased to 20 cents on all four wireless carriers. Sprint was the first carrier to increase the text message rate to 20 cents last Fall, and now all of its three main competitors have matched this price increase.

What is particularly alarming about this industry-wide rate increase is that it does not appear to be justified by rising costs in delivering text messages. Text messaging files are very small, as the size of text messages are generally limited to 160 characters per message, and therefore cost carriers very little to transmit. Text messaging files are a fraction of the size of e-mails or music downloads. Also of concern is that it appears that each of companies has changed the price for text messaging at nearly the same time, with identical price increases. This conduct is hardly consistent with the vigorous price competition we hope to see in a competitive marketplace.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.