Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
It's time for Apple (and everybody else) to remove carrier locking capabilities from phones.

It never should have existed in the first place. But now that phones aren't actually subsidized at all any more, the capability should be gone from future phone firmware.

Exactly. Since phones are now being financed, what's to stop the carriers from collecting the monthly payments on phones, even if the customer ports out?

Verizon also plans to no longer be the fastest network.

Coverage>speed.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
What does the fastest mean?

- faster in every square inch
- faster in select cities
- faster by some weighted average of a crowd source speed test?

6E2CEE17-2CAD-4CF1-8BD7-7871ABC72421.jpeg

nathanic

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2018
I thought Apple took care of this with Find my iPhone. This kept stolen phones from activating
theft isn't the problem. It's when fraudulent customers come into stores signing up for a new verizon account with a fake ID so they can get the iPhone with the 24 month installment. They then cancel their account and sell the iPhone for full price. So Verizon ends up paying for an iPhone.
[doublepost=1518780794][/doublepost]
Exactly. Since phones are now being financed, what's to stop the carriers from collecting the monthly payments on phones, even if the customer ports out?

Coverage>speed.

They're not worried about customers that are porting out. They're concerned about fraudulent customers that set up accounts with fake ID's. So when they cancel their account, there is no way to charge that person anymore.
[doublepost=1518781005][/doublepost]
While I typically recommend that people just go through Apple for iPhones, I've bought my last 4 iPhones through Verizon to take advantage of deals. That said, if Verizon makes me jump through hoops to unlock phones going forward, (and yes I'm aware the other carriers already do this, but I liked how Verizon were unlocked out of the box) I will just deal directly with Apple. Although, my experience with Verizon stores has been much better than yours.

Just to clarify, Verizon does not sell unlocked iPhones right out of the box. While the phone is unlocked in the sense that it is ready to take on any SIM card, it will be locked after activation. BUT in the case of activation with a Verizon SIM card, the phone stays unlocked because the frequency they use.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
"Verizon plans to stop selling unlocked smartphones as a way to deter criminals from stealing the devices, the company told "

Sure they are worried about theft. :rolleyes:

Does Verizon expect us to believe they are going to start locking iPhones sold by them because they are worried about theft?

That's an insult to their customer's intelligence.

nathanic

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2018
"Verizon plans to stop selling unlocked smartphones as a way to deter criminals from stealing the devices, the company told "

Does Verizon expect us to believe they are going to start locking iPhones sold by them because they are worried about theft?

They're not worried about customer's iPhones being stolen. They're concerned about scammers starting new accounts with fraudulent IDs and getting an iPhone on the installment billing, then cancelling the account and ending up with a free phone to sell.

Reactions: I7guy

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
They're not worried about customer's iPhones being stolen. They're concerned about scammers starting new accounts with fraudulent IDs and getting an iPhone on the installment billing, then cancelling the account and ending up with a free phone to sell.

A scammer can still start a fraudulent account, cancel it, use an unlocking service to unlock the phone and then resell it. Granted, their profit will take a bit of a hit, but it can still be done. Unless carriers start blacklisting IMEIs, locking the phone won't make a bit of difference.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Just to clarify, Verizon does not sell unlocked iPhones right out of the box. While the phone is unlocked in the sense that it is ready to take on any SIM card, it will be locked after activation. BUT in the case of activation with a Verizon SIM card, the phone stays unlocked because the frequency they use.
I'm not referring to the "SIM-free" model that Apple sells. However Verizon iPhones used to work the same as the "SIM-free" version from Apple. What you're referring to is what Best Buy, Target, and possibly other retailers sell. This is referred to as the universal phone I believe. When you buy an iPhone from them they are unlocked and then follow the unlock policy of the carrier they are first activated on. Previously you could buy an iPhone from Best Buy, then activate it using a Verizon SIM first, this would keep it unlocked for use on any carrier as Verizon didn't lock their iPhones. However, it seems like Verizon will have a lock policy similar to what others have.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012

Umm, they are. Verizon stores get robbed a lot, particularly this last year. I should know, I work for them. I'm glad they are locking them. Less incentive for criminals to steal. But hey, if you really want an unlocked one you can buy it from Apple.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
I'm not referring to the "SIM-free" model that Apple sells. However Verizon iPhones used to work the same as the "SIM-free" version from Apple. What you're referring to is what Best Buy, Target, and possibly other retailers sell. This is referred to as the universal phone I believe. When you buy an iPhone from them they are unlocked and then follow the unlock policy of the carrier they are first activated on. Previously you could buy an iPhone from Best Buy, then activate it using a Verizon SIM first, this would keep it unlocked for use on any carrier as Verizon didn't lock their iPhones. However, it seems like Verizon will have a lock policy similar to what others have.
Any idea when it will take effect? I may be upgrading at Best Buy or Target in the near future with a non-Verizon plan, and I'd ideally like to pop in an inactive, postpaid Verizon SIM at initial activation just to get the phone unlocked for when I travel abroad.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Any idea when it will take effect? I may be upgrading at Best Buy or Target in the near future with a non-Verizon plan, and I'd ideally like to pop in an inactive, postpaid Verizon SIM at initial activation just to get the phone unlocked for when I travel abroad.
From articles that I've read it was pretty vague on when that will take effect. The CNET article says:

"But later in the spring, the company will begin the practice of keeping the phone locked for a period of time after the purchase -- in line with the rest of the industry."

https://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-will-lock-its-smartphones-to-combat-theft/

DaTechie

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2017
California
That’s fine and dandy unless you need cellular service nation wide.

It is never about whether we need it to be unlocked. We want to own, sell, or give the phone away to whoever we want. Verizon basically just wants to give less choices to customers as to how they can obtain a smartphone.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
As we wrap up March, does anyone know if Verizon has implemented the announced changes to their policy yet?

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
The above is definitely fake news

Fortunate for me and those who have and can afford Verizon as they are the best carrier network in the USA with the widest coverage in and out cities through out the US and inside any buildings.

DaTechie

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2017
California
Simple , the carrier is in full control of which network the phone will work on , hence limiting its attractiveness for thieves. as well as those who take the phone to other carriers without authorization and without completing their contractual obligations.
My take on it is that there is no incentive now to keep them unlocked. Verizon gets to lock their customers to themselves with contracts that charges a premium to walk away to the competition. In addition, if deserting the carrier, the phone seizes to work and cannot be switched to the competition without unlocking first. Unlocking will have a method that likely requires calling customer service and seeing if they do it; they will want to make it look as a courtesy and not an obligation to the customer. Otherwise, a deserting customer will have to sell the phone back to Verizon or anyone Verizon approves at a price and terms they deem convenient for them.

In short, locking the phone gives a carrier all the power to themselves. It really is not about theft as much as it is control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.