Verizon or At&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fenderbass146, Feb 16, 2011.

?

Verizon or AT&T..pleaese only people who have owned both

1. Verizon

31.3%
  2. AT&T

68.8%
  1. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

This is a poll for people who have actually had both only please.

Please put a vote in the pole and give what you like better about one or the other.

Me personally I like my Verizon iphone better.

I overall get better coverage, I have yet to drop a call. The antenna is fixed on mine at least. (My att phone dropped all the time. ) Also the proximity sensor seems fixed. Lastly, even though verizon has slower data, I get 3g service at my cottage. That is really beneficial when im out snowmobiling.

2. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

No poll up yet but I pick Att because almost all my friends have Att I have 3G were I live and work, and I don't have drop calls.

3. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

You really think the only people who are going to vote on this poll are people that have had both?!?

4. iFitz macrumors regular

Hard for me to say. I've had all versions of the iPhone with AT&T, and now Verizon. I never had any real issues with AT&T, except for lack of signal in places I should be getting signal. I got fine signal at my house in Los Angeles, but at my moms house in Pasadena, I got no signal at all, which is fine because I'm not there very often for long periods of time. But in a city as large as Pasadena, I would expect to get signal.

I also have a house in the mountains near L.A., and AT&T gets absolutely zero signal in our neighborhood. Most of the locals have either Verizon or Sprint because they have the most towers and best signal, where as AT&T & Tmobile get zero in much of the area. Since I spend a great deal of time up there, and sometimes for as much as a week at a time, I really wanted to switch to a provider that got me the best signal at our house, but didn't want to get rid of my iPhone. Now that I have Verizon, I have been able to eliminate the land line there because all I need is my Verizon phone.

So for the reasons I've stated, I am happier with my Verizon iPhone. Not that I have any complaints about my years with AT&T, I'm just happy to get signal everywhere I need it now.

5. Anotoneher macrumors member

I have an At&t iPhone for work and a VZ iPhone for personal use.

At&t
    Pros:
    - Full bars and 3g when at the hospital (where I work)
    - 3g is consistently 2x as fast as on the VZ network
    - They max donate to the Republican party every year

Cons:
    - No service at my home
    - I drop A LOT of calls when on the highway (95 and i-83)
    - Customer service is really lacking

VZ
    Pros:
    - 3 years with Verizon and I've never been somewhere (inside the US) where I didn't have coverage
    - Fantastic customer service

Cons:
    - 3g isn't slow by any means, but about 50% of the speed that At&t provides (I average around 1.5mbps on VZ)... isn't really a con per say, but compared to At&t it is

6. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

att: much better data (more important for me)

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just think how amazing thus thread would be if it actually had a poll. Or is it pole?

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I think you'll find that all of the wireless carriers in the US donate to the GOP, because without the GOP there wouldn't be cellular phones in the US.

While I've not had an iPhone on Verizon, I did have access to a Verizon phone while I've owned my iPhone. In general, the coverage was similar to my iPhone, and it even had coverage in some places the iPhone did not. However, the opposite was also true. I found the Verizon phone to have diminished to no coverage in buildings with a primarily steel structure, usually when the iPhone at least maintained 2 bars. I also found that the call quality on VZW was lower than on at&t, but didn't suffer minor delays that would cause over-talk.

Overall, to each their own. However, I'm very satisfied with the data speeds I get on at&t, and those I've seen with Verizon Wireless don't even come close (in my area).

TEG

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

What is the point of having another one of these threads?

10. TheGarreth macrumors member

Tough call

So I'd been on AT&T since the iPhone 3 was released but switched to Verizon last week. Data is definitely faster on AT&T (I don't think anyone would disagree with this) and although it's a nice option to have simultaneous voice & data - it's not something I really used that much and here in the Bay Area, to be honest, most places have wi-fi, which does make simultaneous voice/data an option while on Verizon. What it came down to for me was that I got HORRIBLE reception in the three places I spend 90% of my time - my home, my office and the local pool hall (a basement-level establishment)...not only was I constantly dropping calls (if they weren't failing to begin with) but it also slowed my data speed to a crawl and killed my batter in the process. In the week since I've switched to Verizon, I've been quite impressed with Verizon's network - yes, the data is slower, though not by much as far as I can tell - but I've had ZERO dropped calls or signal issues and have no complaints so far. Battery life is slightly better on my VZW iPhone as well - surprising as I understood, CDMA draws more power than GSM - though I'm sure this has alot to do with my phone not CONSTANTLY searching for a better signal
    Either way, it's a great phone no matter what network you're on - it just comes down to what works better for you in your region. If call quality hadn't been an issue, I'd have absolutely stayed with AT&T - but I, as many others here in the Bay, am frustrated that over the last few years (while AT&T has started investing in a 4G network) that there has been ZERO improvement in their 3G network. Myself, I couldn't continue to give them my money based solely on that.
    My two cents.

11. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I'm not concerned about voice as I put AT&T and VZW a close tie in my area. I'm more concerned about data. What I notice with VZW is a slower more consistent reliable data network. What I mean by reliable is although slower I can access data more than I can with AT&T.

The question is what is the purpose of download and upload speed?

Does VZW provide the minimum speeds for an average user?

12. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Sure, I'll chime in

AT&T
    Pros
    Fastest 3G network
    Simultaneous voice/data
    No data caps

Cons:
    None (for me)

Verizon
    Pros
    Hyped up by the media and Macrumors.com
    Competition

Cons:
    A lot of things like...
    Slow 3G network
    No voice and data simultaneously

[​IMG]

In conclusion, AT&T is my choice

13. iFitz macrumors regular

Verizon has a slow data network? Have you actually tried it? I tried both AT&T iPhone and Verizon iPhone side by side, and there is NO discernible difference. I was with AT&T since day 1 of the original iPhone, and now have Verizon, and I can tell you that the only difference is where I get signal, meaning I get signal in a lot more areas now on Verizon.

14. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I understand and from experience that AT&T has a faster network however it's not consistenly faster at least in my area. In other words when AT&T is fast is faster than VZW... When it's fast.

However in my area although slower VZW is consistent in being able to access data. I can access VZW data more than I can AT&T.

Question what's more important?.... Being faster some of the time and not being able to access data all the time versus being slower and being able to access data more consistently?

I mean if AT&T was faster all the time and even more consistent in being able to access data then my decision would be easier. I'm not even asking for AT&T to be as reliable/consistent I'm just asking to be more reliable and consistent. I'm what I consider possibly a major market, Philadelphia region/metro.

15. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Glad someone added this, my choice (by a landslide) is at&t.

16. TheGarreth macrumors member

Agreed. VZW's data is, by the numbers, slower - but like you said, it is also more consistent. In my day-to-day browsing, checking e-mails & a few games (Words with Friends, etc.), the difference in data speed has not been noticeable to me...whereas with AT&T, when I'm getting 5 bars, the data is FAST (but calls still drop) - but if I had a nickel for every time I'd been somewhere here in the South Bay with only 1 bar of AT&T and my data nearly non-existent, I'd be a rich man.
    As far as the purpose of download & upload speed - I'm starting to wonder the purpose myself. I checked Speedtest on my AT&T iPhone and it was putting up MUCH better numbers than I'm getting on my Verizon iPhone - but that difference is NOT showing up in browsing the web, loading pages, etc.

17. RMXO macrumors 6502a

Forgive me if this has already been posted since I skimmed through this thread. Best part of being on AT&T is having the option to upgrade to a new iPhone every year. Also, I end up with a little extra that can go towards accessories after selling my old iPhone & using the money to buy a new one.

18. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I agree

19. Vice92 macrumors regular

In my opinion, I'm going with Verizon.

I had the iPhone 3G for almost all of 2009, and I frequently dropped calls in Brooklyn where I work, all over the city, while driving, and even at home. I literally couldn't go a day without a dropped call.

I switched back to Verizon and have had 1 dropped call, in all of those locations, in the past 2 years.

For me, thats enough. I don't really care if the data comes through at breakneck speeds, I'm almost always in contact with WiFi.

It really all comes down to personal preference. You'll get the same phone experience on either carrier, it just comes down to which one has the better coverage for the area you live in.

20. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

21. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

When Verizon & AT&T are both on 4G LTE, the only thing that will matter is coverage. I'm sticking with Verizon because in my area, AT&T only has coverage outside.

22. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

I can only speak for my area I guess, but Verizon for sure. Much better phone signal, no drop calls, and clearer phone conversations. Internet is really not that slow to me either.

23. macabouttobe macrumors regular

macabouttobe

My wife has an iPhone 4, I have an Android 2.2(inherited) both AT&T. The reason I'm bringing this up is the fact that on Verizon you can't do Voice and Data simultaneously. I figured that isn't a big deal since wi-fi works. Honestly wasn't something I figured would matter with me personally...

So I decided to use my Android as a GPS this past weekend heading all over the state for hockey tournament games. I was on the phone (speaker phone sometimes bluetooth) quite a bit while I drove around with the android placed on the dash (on top of Tachometer). The data kept flowing, didn't miss a turn or a call. I'm sure I hit some EDGE only areas because I went through some remote areas.

Bottom line is I never thought this simultaneous voice/data was a big deal. After this past weekend I realized that was an application/situation that it truly did matter. Until Verizon can do both simultaneously I'm staying with ATT.