Verizon store people are...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nateo200, May 22, 2011.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Unusually anti-iPhone 4...Its weird. I walked in there with a MacBook Pro in my hand because I came from school. Everyone in the store was seemingly 'programmed' to be against iPhone and iPad. I was stunned!

I went in there to buy my iPhone and two other kids my age (17~) were also there looking to buy iPhones and the store reps were more or less biting at our ankles NOT to buy the iPhone and buy the droid X. They kept spouting that the white iPhone would not fit in any cases they sold despite me pulling up 3 articles right there on my MacBook disproving that then when we all eventually checked out with the iPhones they were quiet...no praising no help with email, contacts, photos, etc. (Not like I care this is how I prefer it but still). It was just strange...I'm assuming this has to do with improving android sales but still it was crazy at how much BS they spewed out... Anyone else notice this at the Verizon store? I felt like I was surrounded by store reps blatantly trollin'...

2. colticus macrumors newbie

My experience was quite different.

My girl and I switched from AT&T iPhone 4's to Verizon iPhone 4's and before I could tell them what I wanted, they were referring the iPhone. I asked about several android phones and they told me to go with the iPhone. They also stated that they "hated" their thunderbolt.

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

probably more commission to be had on the day..

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Apple takes much more of the sale from Verizon than Google does.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe they were android fanboys and didn't like the iPhone.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's what I would assume. I wouldn't take it personally, OP.
    Walk into a different Verizon store and I bet it will be a different experience.

7. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

My first thought. They really tried to make it personal.

Yeah I asked them that and they denied it but I mean its Apple...still I've never seen so many reps so desperate...it was 9:00 at night though so maybe they were trying to squeeze out a few more android sales within the last half hour.

8. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

There's nothing that makes me more annoyed than walking into a shop when the sales people have got an agenda, commission based sales people don't give a crap about what's best for the customer.

9. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Verizon sales reps are just plain horrible. I had Verizon for four years. They're still encouraging people to buy ****** Blackberrys with absolutely LOW RAM. Everyone is always trying to get people to stay away from Apple products. :mad:

10. johnfnwhiteside macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Same thing here. Everyone I know who has gone to verizon for an iPhone has had the reps try and talk them into androids. The rep who sold me mine was very anti iPhone.

11. tnisatard macrumors 6502

It's because the iPhone sells itself, while the Android phones are a much more difficult sell. Plus android phones most likely give them more commission.

12. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I agree. When I buy electronics, I know what I want. I hate when people try to tell me what I want.

13. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

At least Verizon is acknowledging the existence of the white iPhone 4. I went into my local Rogers store the other day and they denied its existence... Until I pulled up the Apple website on my iPhone. LOL. :D

14. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I have always found at&t stores much more friendly then Verizon stores. In Verizon stores it always seems that they want to push a certain product on you, they are both going to push features on you but at&t always seems to be willing to talk to you about all of their phones. I don't know why it's like that but that has always been my experience.

15. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Agreed. It's why I don't shop in brick-and-mortar stores anymore (that and price).

16. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

Geez i think you were looking for a fight, i mean you took your macbook into a vzw cell phone store, u could have left it in the car or put it in your backpack........kinda toolish of u don't you think:apple:

17. gofightlose macrumors member

gofightlose

haha. I bet there is some type of commission thing going on. I was in the day the ipad 2 was announced and I was asking the nice verizon lady if she had heard and what she thought...but then she immediately went all android crazy. "Well the Xoom will have so much better hardware..." and kept talking about how it was going to be so much better. I just replied, "it's not always about hardware..." at that time honeycomb was barely developed...and while the android store has grown it's still not as comprehensive as the content available for ipad. On top of that, this store didn't have an iphone on display, but they had posters so I know they had it. Strange.

18. andyx3x macrumors 65816

It is definitely a commission issue.

I had heard trough the grapevine that Verizon employees got $50 commission for selling a Thunderbolt and $5 for an iPhone.

I was in a Verizon store last week and flat out asked a Verizon employee that I had gotten friendly with over the last year. He told me it was $40 commission for the Thunderbolt and $5 for the iPhone.

So this is the reason that Verizon employees push phones other than the iPhone. I can't blame them, can you? This is the deal that Apple wanted. We'll see if it hurts them long term with Verizon.

19. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I got my wife an iphone in March and the people at our verizon store were very helpful. I told them we wanted the iphone so maybe that helped.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

20. SeaChange macrumors regular

$40 vs $5? I would have agenda too! That is too big of a discrepancy to expect impartiality from someone working on commission.

21. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Don't agree with them pushing one particular ios or device but money talks...

22. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I worked at sears as a pricer/stock floor/adjust floor person. The cashiers made more money than me per hour, got more hours, didnt have to come in at ridiculous hours AND got commission. I on the other hand had to come in at 2am on sundays to change the prices of everything in electronics, stock floor, and check stock...not including while I was on the floor during hours I "sold" tvs to people only to have a cashier that didnt do **** get the credit and everything for it. Funny im now "banned" from working at sears because I quit when they dropped me to 3 hours a week.

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I agree to an extent, it depends how the commission is offered. 12-ish years ago I worked at Circuit City as a commissioned salesperson and if we sold the wrong solution to the customer, it would most likely get return and we would take a serious hit in pay. Not only did we lose the commission, but we also had our return rate go up which could get you fired.

That being said we also had to sell them the entire solution or they would come back angry and blame it on the sales person. If you sold a digital camera you had to make sure they had a memory card, bag, and batteries. If you sold a laptop it should have a mouse and a bag (or if its for a college kid a printer and a service plan as well, plus a USB cable). This could seem pushy (which is why I always told someone upfront what they would need) but back then it was a necessity since most people didn't have these items.

Today things are different. None of the big stores are commission anymore and people are more aware about technology and know what they want. I too get annoyed when I go into the local Best Buy to look at the Apple display and get told that Macs are junk by sales associates (actually its just one sales associate who does it.)

24. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I know they get Around $140 for selling an ipad2 32g Verizon.
    Verizon corporate sets goals for the stores. The managers are under extreme pressure to meet those particular goals.
    The pressure is passed down to the sales floor.
    Their goals are borderline unachievable.
    Non corporate stores aren't under such stringent corporate goals.

25. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Verizon employees don't get any different commission from one phone to the other, they get commission on the contract. I just asked a manager friend who works there (You'll have to read through the english, he's drunk and at a baseball game right now):

Attached Files: