MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

111625-ipad_3g_badge.jpg

Boy Genius Report has received word that Verizon Wireless is testing new iPad models compatible with the carrier's CDMA-based cellular network.
According to a highly placed source of ours, Verizon Wireless is currently testing Apple iPad devices on their network. We have been told that the model they are testing is a CDMA-compatible device, and while our source mentioned LTE in some capacity (possibly another model), we haven't been able to independently confirm that part of it.
Verizon is set to roll out its LTE (4G) network in up to 30 markets, having been engaged in testing in Boston and Seattle since last August. Verizon's aggressive LTE rollout puts it ahead of AT&T, the current exclusive iPhone carrier in the U.S.

Apple had been expected by many observers to launch the iPad in a partnership with Verizon, but the Apple CEO Steve Jobs surprised many at the device's January introduction by announcing that it would appear as an AT&T exclusive for 3G service in the U.S. Speculation centers around AT&T having outbid its competitors with its data plans for the iPad, offering unlimited data for $29.99 per month. AT&T just today announced, of course, that it is moving to a $25/month, 2 GB data plan for the iPad, although customers on the existing unlimited plan can remain on it as long as they keep their plan active.

Verizon has also been a popular target of rumors regarding the iPhone, with Pegatron being named by sources as the manufacturer for the CDMA-specific hardware. Recent rumors have suggested that a Verizon iPhone could appear as early as November, although many observers think that a 2011 launch is more likely.

Article Link: Verizon Testing CDMA-Compatible iPads? Possibly LTE 4G?

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
My guess it will be for both LTE and CDMA. From what I can tell, a lot of the LTE chips are backwards compatible with both CDMA and HSPA+ networks.

Meaning one chip could be used for both AT&T and Verizon's data networks.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I honestly believe a Verizon iPad will come before a Verizon iPhone.

I was kind of surprised there wasn't one alongside the AT&T iPad on day 1. I'm feeling good about this coming before the end of 2010. The Verizon iPhone? Eh...I wouldn't make the same 2010 claim for that.

Comment

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
My guess it will be for both LTE and CDMA. From what I can tell, a lot of the LTE chips are backwards compatible with both CDMA and HSPA+ networks.

Meaning one chip could be used for both AT&T and Verizon's data networks.

Waaaaay too soon for chipmakers to have any sort of good chipset for LTE.

Yes, there are all sorts of press releases out there, but good shipping silicon doesn't exist yet.

So, no way on LTE - at least as a consumer device. Could they test with something, sure. Sell something? Heck no.

This would be EVDO Rev A only.

Comment

BigJimmyC

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Hmmm. A CDMA ipad? Bad call. I would not definitely not buy any tablet that was locked to a single carrier.

Comment

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68020
Jan 17, 2008
Big D
I just ordered an ipad. If this news is true, I'll sell it and switch. Unless I manage to get grandfathered in for 29.99.
I gotta say... Jobs is the king if product launches. It could be he went with ATT only because of the timing and he really wanted Verizon on 4G but they weren't ready.

Only a month after giving us the ipad with 3G for an amazing 29.99 the data plan changes. Jobs knew they needed a great data price to get the launch to be spectatular. The launch is key.

The future of computing is mobile and that future is here. 29.99 unlimited is an anomoly. If you are grandfathered in KEEP IT!! or you will be kicking yourself later.

Comment

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Hmmm. A CDMA ipad? Bad call. I would not definitely not buy any tablet that was locked to a single carrier.

This is likely very true, it probably would bother you a lot and you wouldn't buy one.

However, for the overwhelming majority of people, it wouldn't bother them one bit. Plus, there's no indication that this device would be locked to just one carrier, so the point may be moot.

Comment

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Waaaaay too soon for chipmakers to have any sort of good chipset for LTE.

Yes, there are all sorts of press releases out there, but good shipping silicon doesn't exist yet.

So, no way on LTE - at least as a consumer device. Could they test with something, sure. Sell something? Heck no.

This would be EVDO Rev A only.

Yea but they can distribute samples to manufactures for testing. If these rumors are true, my guess would be nothing will be announced until late 2010/early 2011. Plenty of time for chips to begin shipping.

Most likely they are testing both and comparing performance statistics for battery life, speed etc.

Comment

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
I wish I could filter out front page rumors about Apple & Verizon, just reading the header of the rumor (knowing to move on-ward) gets old. /facepalm

Comment

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Not gonna happen.

Actually I think this is exactly what will happen. The changes to ATT's data plans are clearly not in Apples best interests. I'm guessing that as ATT lost exclusivity to the iPhone/iPad, Apple lost control to push their vision of data plans onto ATT.

The biggest news on June 7 will be the announcement that other carriers will soon have the iPhone and the iPad.

Comment

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Yea but they can distribute samples to manufactures for testing. If these rumors are true, my guess would be nothing will be announced until late 2010/early 2011. Plenty of time for chips to begin shipping.

Most likely they are testing both and comparing performance statistics for battery life, speed etc.

They would be being remarkably dumb if they do that.

The LTE networks that VzW has installed right now are almost for certain totally unoptimized, and making ANY decisions based on what a device does now would turn out to be misguided.

For example, battery life will be directly impacted by the network.

Download speeds will be impacted by the unoptimized nature of the network - in both directions. Some speeds will be too fast and some will be too slow.

Also, with no users on the network, false impressions will occur. The network will start to behave in very different ways once users get on there.

Can you get an idea of what the performance would be like? Sure. But making any decisions based on that would be silly.

You can also get a decent idea of performance by simply using WiFi.

Comment

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Besides the whole not gonna happen, I believe there was some sort of exclusivity in that negotiations... Apple didn't just make the iPad GSM and restricted to AT&T's frequencies for nothing.

Comment

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
I just bought my iPad.

I don't want anyone to have a cooler one that quickly...no LTE. That backdates mine. I want a year on top.
:eek:

I'm halfway kidding.

Comment

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Besides the whole not gonna happen, I believe there was some sort of exclusivity in that negotiations... Apple didn't just make the iPad GSM and restricted to AT&T's frequencies for nothing.

I'm thinking those agreements have broken down. ATT is making Apple look like idiots with their recent change to the iPad data plans barely 2 months after SJs big item was 'unlimited' for $29 w/o a contract.

The data plan change to the iPad, IMHO says exclusivity is over.

Comment

jwdawso

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2002
Actually I think this is exactly what will happen. The changes to ATT's data plans are clearly not in Apples best interests. I'm guessing that as ATT lost exclusivity to the iPhone/iPad, Apple lost control to push their vision of data plans onto ATT.

The biggest news on June 7 will be the announcement that other carriers will soon have the iPhone and the iPad.

IMHO, AT&T's new data plans will benefit both Apple and AT&T. Now consumers can be lured in with a $99 iPhone (previous iPhone model) and $15/mo data plan. The drop in the data plan is $360 over the 2 year contract. The entry price going down means number of units sold going up. Of course, AT&T makes it easy to upgrade to the next level, so once a person is hooked, if they become a big data user, they'll upgrade to the $25/mo plan.

I wonder if Apple gets a different amount from AT&T dependent on data plan?

You may be right about exclusivity.

Comment

Rogzilla

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007

You said exactly what I was thinking when I read this news. This change is way too soon after the release of the iPad for Apple to not have known, unless it was a sudden change. If it was a sudden change, it was a reaction to something. To me, that says ATT KNOWS something. They wouldn't do this in response to a rumor, there have been rumors for years.

If it was JUST the iPhone, I wouldn't put any thought into it as it might just be a change in their general pricing policy (it is affecting all smartphones, right?) But the fact that they changed the iPad pricing so soon after its release and Steve Jobs saying how great it was they got unlimited data for that price tells me that something changed.

If something in the relationship between ATT and Apple didn't change, it will. This steps on a major selling point of the iPad with 3G.

I agree that one of the surprises (or whatever the wording was) that Jobs referenced in one of his Steve-mails will be mulitple carriers. Honestly, I don't think we will see Verizon iPhones in June, but probably September at the earliest and November at the latest. Just in time for Christmas!

Comment

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
I'm thinking those agreements have broken down. ATT is making Apple look like idiots with their recent change to the iPad data plans barely 2 months after SJs big item was 'unlimited' for $29 w/o a contract.

The data plan change to the iPad, IMHO says exclusivity is over.

Your crazy if you think Apple and AT&T don't get together and make decisions based on rates. Everyone can blame AT&T all they want but knowing how Steve is he would never leave the fate of his devices in someone elses hands.

Comment

iEricW

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
Virginia, USA

I agree. I think this is an attempt by AT&T to lower monthly bills so they can say "the iPhone on AT&T is cheaper than the iPhone on Carrier X."

AT&T should have had an option for a smaller data plan since day 1. If they had, I would not have gotten rid of my iPhone. I always use WiFi because I have it at home and at school. That is why I bought the WiFi only iPad! Besides, I got tired of paying for AT&T's crappy network and lack of 3G in the majority of my area.

Comment

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
...and Japan, and I'll add that there are more than 2 CDMA operators in the US.

Comment

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009

just get a phone on the carrier you want that you can make into a wifi hotspot and get the wifi only ipad...problem solved. Also $30 per month for data isn't that great of a deal unless you can tether to it and just download a crap ton of movies or something. Otherwise for general purposes 2gb is fine. $20 extra per month for tethering on a $25 2gb plan however is highway robbery. It would have been more in line to do 5gb for $25 tethering included which brings it more in line with what Rogers offers in canada (which I am sure will change unless the pressure from Bell and Telus forces them to keep the price where it is)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.