Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
See nothing wrong with this. This is business. If you want to prevent this, have redundant data providers and do not blow through your data. If you do, understand the consequences of those actions. If you know you are going through 22GB of data in a "command center", then make it part of your day 0 or day 1 action plan in a crisis to upgrade the plan. It is a flip of a switch on Verizon's end so all it takes is a phone call.

California wants an exception. Then Canada wants an exception. Then Joe down the streets wants an exception. Good on Verizon for standing their ground.

Also this has nothing to do with Net Neutrality, so why even bring it up? This would not have been "prevented" even if Net Neutrality was still in place.
Style points for not reading the article and commenting. In a typical seeing nothing wrong worldview popular today.Maybe this will help you:
"Regardless of the plan emergency responders choose, we have a practice to remove data speed restrictions when contacted in emergency situations. We have done that many times, including for emergency personnel responding to these tragic fires. In this situation, we should have lifted the speed restriction when our customer reached out to us. This was a customer support mistake. We are reviewing the situation and will fix any issues going forward."

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
Services like communications for the fire department should be required to be comped entirely by our government, and are worth the extra tax dollars.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Can’t wait until T-Mobile and Sprint merge so uncarrier can really compete with these crooks/villains.

If you really think that's whats going to happen then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. It might start out that way but eventually they will become just as bad....The American consumer has seen this movie many times before

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
That’s a grey area. On one hand, you have lives and property at risk. On other hand, the fire department needs to purchase the proper plan.

Reactions: centauratlas

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Can’t wait until T-Mobile and Sprint merge so uncarrier can really compete with these crooks/villains.

I had a t-Mobil plan that was unusable when throttling was active. And I mean unusable. I waited 1 full hour for the www.t-Mobile.com to load and it wouldnt. I could not even log on to buy a bigger plan. So I opted to cancel my t-mobile plan but I had to do it over the phone.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
See nothing wrong with this. This is business. If you want to prevent this, have redundant data providers and do not blow through your data. If you do, understand the consequences of those actions. If you know you are going through 22GB of data in a "command center", then make it part of your day 0 or day 1 action plan in a crisis to upgrade the plan. It is a flip of a switch on Verizon's end so all it takes is a phone call.

California wants an exception. Then Canada wants an exception. Then Joe down the streets wants an exception. Good on Verizon for standing their ground.

Also this has nothing to do with Net Neutrality, so why even bring it up? This would not have been "prevented" even if Net Neutrality was still in place.

In the past Verizon does lift the throttling during these cases of emergencies. They admitted that their customer service made a mistake during this incident. Exceptions are actually given, as they should, during extreme emergencies. They also admitted that they should have been more clear regarding the terms of their service so that incidences like this don't happen.

Reactions: AL1630

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
imagine living in a country where your emergency services can't even get decent internet access while trying to save lives lmao

I assume the services did just that before mobile internet was a thing as well. We're all slaves to the technology now. Sure it is a hella convenience, but it does leave room for things to go wrong, and then for fingers to be pointed. In all directions.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Regardless of whether Verizon is “nice” or “evil”, the fault lies with the fire department. And if there are any lawsuits, it is the fire department that is responsible.

When you design an emergency response plan, it is up to you to research all the elements involved in your plan.

It is no secret that Verizon throttles data if you are using a lot of it at once. It is unlimited in quantity... not unlimited in high speed access. That fact has been well known, and it’s in the written policy.

The fire department failed to research the plan, or they chose to purchase a plan that didn’t meet their needs.

Somebody at the fire department got lazy, took the gamble, and lost.

Now they try to blame Verizon.

I don’t like Verizon. But ultimately, this is the Fire Departments fault. They should have verified they purchased a sufficient plan for their kind of usage prior to deploying their emergency service plan.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Kinda thought public service access was part of the deal for allowing Verizon to buy the radio bandwidth and frequency range they did from us, we the people of the United States. Maybe its time to look at the conditions of that bid and see if this is a violation and grounds to revoke their lease.

Reactions: twistedpixel8

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Services like communications for the fire department should be required to be comped entirely by our government, and are worth the extra tax dollars.
I don't believe that's the issue at play here - those services are covered by Govt dollars - but a Corporation shouldn't be able to do something like this to anyone, especially vital Emergency services.
[doublepost=1534901403][/doublepost]
Regardless of whether Verizon is “nice” or “evil”, the fault lies with the fire department. And if there are any lawsuits, it is the fire department that is responsible.

When you design an emergency response plan, it is up to you to research all the elements involved in your plan.

It is no secret that Verizon throttles data if you are using a lot of it at once. It is unlimited in quantity... not unlimited in high speed access. That fact has been well known, and it’s in the written policy.

The fire department failed to research the plan, or they chose to purchase a plan that didn’t meet their needs.

I don’t like Verizon. But ultimately, this is the Fire Departments fault. They should have verified they purchased a sufficient plan for their kind of usage prior to deploying their emergency service plan.
I get your point, but then why can we always call 911 on a disabled cell-phone? (see post 88) I believe there is some Corporate Predation at play here as well.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

You see nothing wrong with an unlimited plan being limited?

Reactions: twistedpixel8

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006

Call someone other than the Fire Department when your house is on fire, or your neighbours house is on fire and your house is at a high risk to be engulfed in flames next. The Fire Dept is trying their best to tackle these fires, show some respect instead of sitting behind your keyboard and giving us an ethics and moral lecture. Unlimited is unlimited, when did unlimited becomes up to, this is a gross marketing deception practice that needs a class action law suit. When things are burning all around you, making a phone call to lift the data cap is not top priority, people are stressed, tired and not thinking about that unlimited data plan not being unlimited. Planning for fires, really when it is a wild fire and unpredictable there is very little planning one can do, control burns to get it under control is all one can hope for. Another fire starts, weather conditions change, how do you predict that.

I am glad to hear that Verizon is fixing the problem. If it was left to you, the world can burn until trouble knocks at your door, then you will cry out aloud to save your home. You sound heartless. Return to your cave, we are better off without your selfish mentality.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I think Verizon could have handled this better. The PR thing to have done, was to assist the fire department during the crisis. Afterward, slice through the red tape to make sure all parties are on the proverbial same page, as to features, limitations and cost.

marco114

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2001
USA
Sounds like to me someone at the Fire Department is trying to cover their ass. $99 a month for a command and response vehicle should be a no brainier. Maybe they should have reviewed their data plan like we all do to figure out what's best for them. I'm all for trying to save the taxpayer's money, but we are talking about $45/month here for something that is mission critical to fighting fires. DUH.

Zachari

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Washington, DC
Ouch. And all Trump has said about this is "Blame Canada! We wouldn't be having these fires if their lumber weren't so expensive!!!"

Trump and Pai are going to be put in the hotseat for this.

BL.

...if you, Google, Facebook, Netflix, etc actually cared about censorship (which you don’t), you would be against the mass censorship of right wing thought. cc: Alex Jones and other prominent thought leaders.

Funny you don’t even go after the company that is actually doing the censoring, it’s muhhh Trump and Pai’s fault.

This just shows me you actually have no idea what Net Neutrality is and why it shouldn’t be the FCC but actually the FTC keeping these companies in check.

But keep on spewing liberal talking points. Just makes my case stronger.

Last edited:

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Just a heads up, post updated with VZW's statement:

"This situation has nothing to do with net neutrality or the current proceeding in court. We made a mistake in how we communicated with our customer about the terms of its plan. Like all customers, fire departments choose service plans that are best for them. The customer purchased a government contract plan for a high-speed wireless data allotment at a set monthly cost. Under this plan, users get an unlimited amount of data, but speeds are reduced when they exceed their allotment until the next billing cycle.

Regardless of the plan emergency responders choose, we have a practice to remove data speed restrictions when contacted in emergency situations. We have done that many times, including for emergency personnel responding to these tragic fires. In this situation, we should have lifted the speed restriction when our customer reached out to us. This was a customer support mistake. We are reviewing the situation and will fix any issues going forward."

Lol

Emergency personnel shouldn't have data caps. PERIOD! They shouldn't have to REACH OUT TO YOU. What kind of happy horse **** is that?

Personally, as my tweets have said, Verizon should be held responsible for ANY loss of life/property damage that occurred due to this negligence. Period, the end. Maybe then, they will get a clue that they're not as big as they like to think they are.

That goes for ...

Verizon
AT&T
TMobile
Sprint

And whoever else thinks 25GB of data a month is "UNLIMITED".
[doublepost=1534902895][/doublepost]

Or some intelligent person or computer program at Verizon could have put 2 and 2 together at their end and noticed OH - these numbers are tied to this account- FIREFIGHTER numbers!!! They're using a LOT OF DATA! Oh, CALI has fires going on right now? LOTS OF THEM?? They need to communicate more than normal???

BETTER REMOVE THE DATA CAP SO THEY CAN DO THEIR JOB!

That would be the logical thing. I mean seriously.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
...if you, Google, Facebook, Netflix, etc actually cared about censorship (which you don’t), you would be against the mass censorship of right wing thought. cc: Alex Jones and other prominent thought leaders.

You are in no position to judge if I care about censorship. And if you knew anything about me and my history of championing causes against censorship and for privacy over the past 25 years of my IT career, you'd be a fool to caste judgment so foolishly.

But I digress. Alex Jones sucks, and his fake fanaticism reeks more than stepping onto freshly dropped cow chips on a hot summer day.

Funny you don’t even go after the company that is actually doing the censoring it’s muhhh Trump and Pai’s

They wouldn't be in this position if they haven't tried so bloody hard to completely neuter Net Neutrality. It has nothing to do with the company at that point, as it was the government that completely killed it. None of this would have happened, if NN wasn't unharmed.

Now with that said, VZW deserves a ton of blame on this, and if you had bothered to read my subsequent post, you would have seen that. But immediately jump on this without bother to read anything else. :rolleyes:

This just shows me you actually have no idea what Net Neutrality is and why it shouldn’t be the FCC but actually the FTC keeping these companies in check.

But keep on spewing liberal talking points. Just makes my case stronger.

I don't need to show how laughably wrong you are about what you think I know. All I have to say is this: if it weren't for me and people like me maintaining the servers you use, you wouldn't even be here to argue about what you think I may or may not know about Net Neutrality.

Feel free to revisit and argue with me privately if you want to see my bona fides. Again, you'll find that I know not only more than you realize, but helped to create some of the platforms you use.

You're Welcome. - Maui

BL.

Reactions: Kiwikat88 and tzm41

Derived

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Midwest
Ouch. And all Trump has said about this is "Blame Canada! We wouldn't be having these fires if their lumber weren't so expensive!!!"

Trump and Pai are going to be put in the hotseat for this.

BL.

Ah yes, exactly. They were the ones that made this happen, after all.

Wait...no...that's not at all what happened here.

This has nothing to do with net neutrality even slightly sort of a little bit kind of. It was Verizon ****ing up, plain and simple. Not everyone is the Great Orange Drump's fault...don't people get tired of this constantly?

Reactions: fairuz

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
This is the type of data that should not EVER BE THROTTLED. There is no way that an important organization like CalFire needs to pay more so that their data gets priority for helping firemen who are risking their lives - some of them dying - so that we can have our homes and possessions safe from those fires out there.

The reason you want government to have to pay like anyone else for services is so you can understand exactly how much government costs, try (futilely) to make government more efficient, and properly allocate resources. If a government agency or anyone isn’t subject to some sort of restriction then they will tend to overuse. Yes, fire fighting may be important, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we want the fire department to be able to use all the data they can. That gives them no incentive to look for efficiency improvements. It may be that their current data consumption is because they do things inefficiently. We don’t want that to go on or get worse.

Reactions: KrisLord

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Net neutrality rules also allowed for Internet users to file complaints for unjust or unreasonable prices and practices, but the complaint option has been eliminated
I'm sorry, but this article is causing confusion on net neutrality (which btw I do support fully). Maybe you mean the same laws protecting net neutrality also allowed users to file complaints. They're unrelated issues.

Not that it would've mattered since the fire dept needed to fix this way more quickly than any complaint to would've been processed, in a queue with complaints from thousands of dumb and angry users.
[doublepost=1534904022][/doublepost]
Seriously?

This is the type of data that should not EVER BE THROTTLED. There is no way that an important organization like CalFire needs to pay more so that their data gets priority for helping firemen who are risking their lives - some of them dying - so that we can have our homes and possessions safe from those fires out there. I mean, imagine the consequences of your home getting destroyed because of not having current data over which way one of the fires is spreading in the Mendocino complex... only to finally get that data after the damage is done, and the fire has jumped a break or a line; or worse than that, that fire came across where a line that PG&E has a gas line going through it.

That data would be handy for firemen to know as not only would it put your home in danger, but also their lives. Throttling that for monetary value - which is something that those companies want due to no Net Neutrality - is a serious issue, and if it turns out that one fireman out of the 8 who have perished in our fires to date could have been saved from having this data, you're damned right that not only does Net Neutrality come into play, but Verizon could come under scrutiny for negligence.

BL.
You didn't answer the question you replied to. Throttling data is not "something that those companies want due to no Net Neutrality." They could always do it, and it's unrelated.

Last edited:
Reactions: chucker23n1

macmyworld

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
This has nothing to do with net neutrality. This is Verizon’s own proprietary cell network and they weren’t throttling access to certain places.

It has everything to do with a moronic company that doesn’t get it. These “unlimited” plans are stupid and fraudulent. Customer service is dead, who was the idiot who decided to count pennies for Verizon in this situation? Wow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.