Carrier Verizon to start offering Rollover data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoshGlzBrk, Jun 29, 2016.

1. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Looks like Verizon is going to start rolling over your remaining data on their "Verizon Plans". There is also going to be a feature called "Safety Mode" which instead of charging you overages when you over your shared data allotment, they will instead throttle your data speeds but give you "unlimited" throttled data.

Launching July 1st.

image:

[​IMG]

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Carryover nice.

Safety mode costs $5 if on smaller plans?! Disappointing, but not surprising.

3. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Verizon only has 1 family of plans for new customers. It's the "My Verizon Plan." Old customers can retain their grandfathered "Everything" plans, but once you give it up, it's gone.

I'm assuming these 3 "perks" will apply to anyone currently on the "My Verizon" plans as well as any new customers.

5. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Not necessarily true. You can move between The Verizon Plan, More/Share Everything, and Nationwide at will if you ask customer service.

6. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

'My Verizon plan' started last Oct...I suppose I'll call them after the 1st and see.

I only have a 1gb plan and would welcome the rollover...is there a max amount that applies?

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

So basically mirroring what T-Mobile is doing with their plans.

Say what you will about tmobile and their PR stunts (of which there are plenty) but I'm downright amazed at how they've been able to shake up the industry.

I sure wish we had this level of competition a decade ago. Would be best to see where the industry would be today. But better late than never!

As it stands this looks like a superior plan to what ATT offers, aside from their unlimited for uverse customers.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think most representatives will (unfortunately) basically refuse or make it seem like that's not doable even if it is.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2016 ---
    And they have removed the ability to get monthly discounts for being off contract with the More Everything plans (for those who don't already have those) making those somewhat less worthwhile.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

What is the source of this? I just got off the phone with Verizon and the rep had no knowledge of this.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

12. Channan, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016

Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

This is Verizon mirroring T-Mobile if the mirror is shattered and you can only see part of the reflection.

T-Mobile offers rollover for a full year and they offer unlimited throttled data for free on ALL plans. They also offer free text and data roaming across the world.

T-Mobile is doing a wonderful job coming up with innovative plans and the other carriers can't even copy properly.

13. rzc16512 macrumors regular

Find that on Reddit? :p
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2016 ---
    I found it on Verizon's testman website yesterday. It's the website they use for testing their website before launching things.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It's just funny because they all but swore to never do rollover. And here they are. Doing rollover.

It makes a lot of sense. People lay an arm and a leg for a small bucket of data. They shouldn't lose it all every month and then also be penalized if they go over that bucket once in a blue moon.

It never made sense to me to pay for a 10gb bucket, use 2-5 gigs a month for months on end and then pay an overage the one month you go over. Seems like enough people said "enough" and bailed and Verizon is rethinking their strategies.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, Verizon is gonna hate this new approach. It's gonna cut in to their data overage fees and millions in profits every year.
    These damn tmobile fools making them switch their playbook of keep coming up with more bad plans to nickel and dime their customers.
    Cause it's the network. :)

16. I7guy macrumors G5

If only their coverage matched their innovative plans i'd switch in a heartbeat.

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yup! I'm happy with VZW (as it's the lesser of two evils w/ATT), but I'm always cheering for that self-righteous nut, Legere, and his gang holding Big Red & Ma Bell's feet to the fire.

I'm not pro-carrier, I'm pro-me. :D

18. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

19. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Yup. Good news for me as ATT will announce a week after Verizon does. I'd switch to T-Mobile if service wasn't so horrible in my area. Verizon is the best, but I'm never going back to them.

20. zzoomp09, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016

zzoomp09 macrumors 6502

zzoomp09

I'm on TMo's 4-line unlimited plan and even if they offer it this way, with my 4 lines, I'd still be pa paying less with TMo. TMo had improved a lot in my area and there are even places they're full LTE signal where VZW only has 3G.

I need to see more details about this if it's better, if not, nice try Verizon, better luck next time.

21. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

AT&T already has rollover.....

22. avanpelt macrumors 68020

Yeah, but they don't have "Safety Mode". I'm hopeful that they will release something similar soon as they will soon be the only major carrier that still charges for overages instead of throttling. $15 per GB when you have an overage is insane. That's akin to the crazy fees they charged for texts years ago.

23. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

I could care less about Safety Mode. I definitely wouldn't pay them for it! We've never had an overage.

24. avanpelt macrumors 68020

I agree that it's dumb to charge for Safety Mode on the smaller plans. They should just enable it across the board like it seems they will be doing with Carryover Data. If they make the service slow enough when people have an overage, they'll just fork over more money to get a bigger bucket of LTE data.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You might not, millions of others have overages and pay an arm and a leg to the 2 big greedy carriers;)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 30, 2016 ---
    I hear you, I'm the same.
    I go for what works best for me.
    Not going to sit there and get taken advantage off.
    If another company gives me a better deal and a better plan that works out for me then I'm switching. Not a carrier fanboy or company enthusiast:)