iPhone X Verizon told my nephew not to get an X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anitak1982, Mar 5, 2018.

1. anitak1982, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018

anitak1982 macrumors 6502

anitak1982

My nephew went into a Verizon store and the technician told him not to buy a 10 but instead sold him an 8. She said that the iphone X has been full of problems. I have not had the first problem with mine. Is this true?

2. Relentless Power, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That employee should have not said that, because they don’t know that every iPhone X will experience the Same problem. It’s fine to interject an opinion, but that Verizon employee doesn’t have evidence of what’s considered “Full of problems” for every customers experience. What does that even mean “Full of problems?” The customer should make the decision on what they want to Purchase for a phone. I could make the opposing argument everyone I know who has the X has been completely satisified with the X with no issues.

3. TechNismo macrumors 6502

TechNismo

Mine had issues... but like I still prefer it a heck ton more than the 8. The 8/8Plus feel way to old and outdated to buy in 2018...

4. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Yes it's true and it's also true the Google bought Apple as well for the sum of $89 dollars .

Na

5. raqball macrumors 68000

No problems at all with my X... Maybe the rep had an 8 so she self justified her own device choice by pushing someone else to what she carries.

Who knows really but I've never experienced anything like that from any carrier store..

6. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

I would recommend an 8 for the price if I'm honest. I don't think the X represents a big enough jump in quality compared to the jump in price. The X is brill, but from my perspective not worth the extra cash. That of course is very subjective though

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The technician was out of line saying something like that. Logical fallacy is not something to be looked up to.

8. anitak1982 thread starter macrumors 6502

anitak1982

Thanks. My sister was with him when he went into Verizon. She called me after to ask me about it. I told her that I see many on this site at least that are very happy with the 10. He paid cash for his phone and being that is just 17 that I could see him wanting to save some money and maybe steering him that way. But it isn't what they were told.

9. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

I wonder if it was a Verizon owned store or a "Verizon authorized retailer"

10. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

11. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

That’s why I go to the Apple Store to make my purchase. I haven’t been in a Verizon store in over 5 years and wouldn’t give much weight to their store representatives opinions on what or what not to buy

12. pastaman321 Suspended

Yea it defiantly makes more sense to go to the Apple store, the advise they will give you on a perspective purchase will no doubt be totally impartial.

13. Kardinal1911 macrumors regular

Kardinal1911

Most of these “cell phone” store employees are already severely biased against Apple or simply don’t know what the hell they’re talking about. Kinda like some of the members of this forum every year Apple is doomed and every year they sell more and make more than anyone else... they talk about how Steve was a visionary and all that but forget that Tim Cook was there the entire time...
    --- Post Merged, Mar 5, 2018 ---
    Furthermore Verizon Wireless Incorporated didn’t tell anyone anything it’s rep did lol

14. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Who needs advice? I research my future purchases well in advance before I go to the store to purchase. I could care less what someone thinks I should or shouldn’t buy, that’s not their job. If I regret the purchase down the road that’s my problem.

15. m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

No problems with the my X.

With Millions of them sold, You’d See millions of complaints if they all had problems.

How old is your nephew? I’d be more concerened giving a $1000 phone to someone young anyway.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If you think about what that Verizon employee said compared to what Apple manufactures for iPhones that are sold every day, it’s into the millions. There’s just no way one employee can anecdotally say its full of problems without having confirmation every iPhone is experiencing the same problem.

17. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

Smart employee. Hopefully your nephew listened to them. ;)

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I could care less what a carrier salesperson says. One should do their own homework and make your own choices and not listen to these people.

19. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I've never asked an employee their opinion of what I should buy
    But it isn't surprising, given the amount of people who post here in the Forums asking what to buy :)

I went to the Apple Store intending to upgrade to an 8 Plus from a 7 Plus
    but after handling the X for a bit in the store, I got the X instead and have been very happy with it

20. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Depends on the salesperson, but no not true at all. Just the same type of nonsense that people love to spread around. No issues with my X since day 1.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It is like making a decision is a lost art these days!

22. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

I can only imagine what she meant was that a lot of people who had purchased from her store had returned for various reasons (maybe largely relating to 'the new way of doing things' and/ or buyers remorse over the price?) Of course any returns would likely 'justify' with an apparent problem with the device.

23. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I've been known to ask a server at a restaurant to recommend something from an unfamiliar menu
    But when it comes to something like spending $1000 on a phone... nah, I'll make my own choice!

24. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

More like one random vzw employee voiced their opinion. Lots of random people employed by the carriers with opinions of all sorts.

25. fallenapple99 macrumors member

The employee was just voicing his opinion, you get 14 days return a new phones. I think it’s worth it to try the phone that you want first. If you do not like it you can just bring it back and try out the other phone. Frankly I never leave big purchase up to someone I just met who works on commission. Of course my opinion may be biased, I just traded in my 7+ for an iPhone X and I love it!