iPhone X Verizon told my nephew not to get an X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anitak1982, Mar 5, 2018.

1. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

This is nothing new. Sales employees at carrier stores often do this. I always advise people to purchase at an Apple store if they don't want to do it online.

2. pastaman321 Suspended

Yea I hate it when sales people feel the need to give people impartial advise.

3. raqball macrumors 68000

You were there? How exactly do you know it was impartial advice?

4. pastaman321 Suspended

I was quoting a generalisation, so I made a generalisation as well.

5. raqball macrumors 68000

Well in this instance the rep was either terribly uninformed or just being biased.. The rep made a statement about the X that is unjustified, untrue and flat out incorrect. Could this be an issue with the specific rep or a lack of proper training at VZW stores issue?

Before I got the X I went in to AT&T and picked up the 8. While speaking with the rep he asked if I was interested in the X and I said I was not. He asked why and I explained my reservations about it. The rep didn't try and steer me anywhere and offered his thoughts on the X. He did say if I changed my mind about the X that I had 2 weeks to return the 8.

At that 2 week mark I decided to make the swap so I went back in and traded for the X. That rep didn't try and talk me out of it and said it was a great phone that they were selling like hotcakes.

Bottom line: Reps should not be pushing a customer one way or the other. Listen to them and make a recommendation(s). That's fine but making up incorrect information about a phone to sell a different one is kind of odd, no?

6. pastaman321, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2018

pastaman321 Suspended

Any opinion that doesn't align with your own is wrong in your mind. The sales person gave his opinion perhaps based on what he has seen in his store. You can choose to either ignore advise or follow it, I am pretty sure if the OP had chosen to ignore the advise the sales person would have happily sold them what ever device they wanted.

More than likely the OP asked for an opinion, should the sales person have lied to sell the more expensive device ?? I think that would be worse.

7. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

Sounds like the salesperson was just trying to offer advice based on what they saw. Likely no malicious intent on their part considering they sold them a phone that was cheaper..

When I was in high school I went to an ATT store with my mind set on the Pantech Duo (I think it was). The salesperson advised against it because they saw a lot coming back with issues and instead recommended the Blackjack 2. I was grateful he told me that because I really ended up liking the Blackjack.

8. teeshot44 macrumors regular

teeshot44

And no one knows 100% what was actually said. That's why it's call "hearsay" and not allowed in court.

9. rluvbeach macrumors member

i'm sure her recommendation was based on which phone gave her the higher commission.

to call cell phone store salespeople "techs" is an insult to true techs.

10. anitak1982 thread starter macrumors 6502

anitak1982

I will share that my sister called me as she left the store. She asked me if I had any problems with my X. That the representative didn't recommend him getting a 10. She told him that many have had problems with the 10. He is 17 and has a job and paid cash for it. He likes his 8 so there is that!

Oops and I meant no insult

11. raqball macrumors 68000

Cool.. The 8 is a fantastic phone and he saved some cash in the process.. It worked out for him and as long as he digs the phone, that's really all that matters.

I wonder how many people that rep steered away from the X (or other phones) who did not end up in the same 'happy' camp as your nephew though?

Sounds to me like that rep is in need of some additional training..

12. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Haven’t had any problems with my iPhone X

13. pastaman321 Suspended

The rep is need of additional training because the advise they gave worked in favor of the customer and said customer is happy with the outcome ?? Makes total sense !! lol

14. anitak1982 thread starter macrumors 6502

anitak1982

He went from a 6 that he truly had issue after issue with. His 6 has been replaced 3 times. So maybe that is why he listened to her recommendation of the 8.

15. raqball macrumors 68000

I guess the main unresolved Q here is: Did he feel pressured or steered into the 8 by the rep? If so, then even though it worked out for him, that should never happen...

My .02

16. pastaman321 Suspended

Obviously he was steered by the advise, this was the point of the rep giving the advise in the first place i.e to help the person make the right choice which was not buying an X in this case.

You are making out the scenario has some sinister undertones where there is obviously none. The person was happy with their purchase, good job by the sales person in this case.

17. anitak1982 thread starter macrumors 6502

anitak1982

My original question was, did you think their advice true? Is the X all that bad? I do not think it is true from my experience.

18. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502a

AlphaGuitarist

I've had my X since release day and haven't encountered a single issue with it. As another forum member pointed out earlier, the perceived "problems" may be user error.

19. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

I agree with you. My X has been flawless..

20. pastaman321 Suspended

It's a loaded question, you are happy with your device so from your perspective it will be false, for some one that has had issues the same will not be true and the perspective of someone that is dealing with phones day in and out will also be different.

21. raqball macrumors 68000

To answer that Q:

I do not think their advise was true, solid or based on anything other than being misinformed. Every phone has some that are lemons as your nephews 6 was an indication of considering he had it replaced 3 times. My son is on Galaxy S7 #4 right now.

My X has been rock solid and I have no reason to not recommend it. My 8 was sold as well during my 2 weeks of owning it and I'd have no problem recommending it as well..

Are there some with issues on the X? Yup.. Are they widespread? Nope.

My issues with it are minor and can be addressed via software

1. After faceID recognizes my mug, unlock right to the home screen (or give an option to do so)
    2. Once at the app switcher screen allow immediate swipe up to dismiss without having to hold for the wiggle
    3. Fix the no refreshing of widgets bug in iOS 11..

As far as the X hardware goes, mine has been rock solid! faceID works at the same rate as touchID, gestures are intuitive and work great! After using gestures and faceID for a while I'd have a hard time going back to a button having iPhone..

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I Agree with this. I think sometimes sales representatives just need to be cautious of what they say versus interjecting a personal opinion on their own views and opinions of a device. They need to be unbiased and listen to what the customer is interested and then make the recommended considerations from there.

23. Closingracer macrumors 68040

The iPhone X would of given her a bigger commission

24. frankdogg macrumors 6502

frankdogg

If it was a Verizon authorized retailer, more than likely trying to push what they have in stock.

25. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

The X is new. iOS 11 was still working out kinks. Together there probably are more returns and issues. Plus new UI. Add it up, you get a perfect storm.

First production. And iOS is never without hiccups out the gate. Took months for iOS 9.21 support on 6S+ and longer to get it right. Plus a large batch of battery issues, that went beyond just the ones ID'd. Ended up getting a 2nd refurb'd unit.

I try to wait 4 months and avoid any inkling of 1.0-itis, and that includes components - even the OLED screen in this case, 3D touch, facial and iris recognition, switch from touch ID.

Android users were in a knot over placement of fingerprint sensor - even before get had the phone. Some exchanged the X for 8 Plus, too this time.