Verizon Unlimited Throttling Begins This Wed

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
New York
Hi All,

Just a friendly reminder it begins this Wed 10/1. For unlimited customers like myself, report here if your throttling or "network optimization" is really bad. Hope not though.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Verizon has already said if you are under contract they will not throttle
Under Verizons "Network Optimization Disclosure" I searched for the term 'contract' and came up empty. Any idea or link where you read that?

Edit: nevermind, found this other disclosure by searching around which says:
Starting in October 2014, Verizon Wireless will extend its network optimization policy to the data users who: fall within the top 5 percent of data users on our network, have fulfilled their minimum contractual commitment, and are on unlimited plans using a 4G LTE device

Last edited:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
"Have fulfilled their minimum contract term"

What the heck does that mean with throttling LTE?

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
verizon is just sugar coating with 'have fulfilled their minimum' the fact that they will screw everyone with throttling big nose red....

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It's not false it came from pretty high up the food chain:)
Thats weird.
But if you do sign up for a 2 year contract don't they make you get rid of unlimited data?

verizon is just sugar coating with 'have fulfilled their minimum' the fact that they will screw everyone with throttling big nose red....
That's what I was thinking too.
They will throttle all unlimited data users most likely.

Thank god netfliX still works on 3G. Im on 2 year contract with unlimited data.
It might not depending on how slow their throttled speeds are.

bentgate

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
I just sacrificed my unlimited data today when I changed the plan to the more everything and ordered my upgrade. There was no way I was going to live with being throttled all month.

It was nice, but I'll adjust to the 10 GB shared. Because my family doesn't use a lot of data, it might actually work out in my favor.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Under Verizons "Network Optimization Disclosure" I searched for the term 'contract' and came up empty. Any idea or link where you read that?

Edit: nevermind, found this other disclosure by searching around which says:

Thanks for the heads up ROLLTIDE1, time to get that 2-year contract boys!
From what I'm reading on that page, they're only going to throttle you back when you've exceeded 4.7GB and the tower you're connected to is congested. That's not that bad -- much better than how AT&T does it, which has a hard cutoff of 5GB no matter how many people are on the tower.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I'm under contract so I'm good. However with att current promo of double the data, I'm curious to see how Verizon responds.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Get under contract now to prevent it !

When it's confirmed contract users aren't being throttled, yes. Until then I'll wait and see. Original text included that info but newer clauses do not. My last bill excluded that text in the warning.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
When it's confirmed contract users aren't being throttled, yes. Until then I'll wait and see. Original text included that info but newer clauses do not. My last bill excluded that text in the warning.
Check your August bill. They are only required to notify you once. If they do throttle then you can get out EFT free. It would be a breach of contract. Now they can revise the terms in the future, but they means you can also be out of contract eft free. Take advantage of the loophole while you can.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Check your August bill. They are only required to notify you once. If they do throttle then you can get out EFT free. It would be a breach of contract. Now they can revise the terms in the future, but they means you can also be out of contract eft free. Take advantage of the loophole while you can.
You can only get out ETF free if they increase fee's, not for throttling.

If that were true then when ATT enacted their throttling policy there would have been a HUGE thread on the forum about "Get out ETF free!" but there wasn't...

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Pretty sure I remember reading you can only get out ETF free if they increase fee's. Doesn't cover data speeds.
Incorrect. If they change your policy then you're allowed eft waiver. We will know for sure over the next month or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.