Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
Wow, even the worst UK networks are better, my Hutchinson 3 network plan consists of 10000 minutes, 6000 texts, Unlimited Data (no invisible cap) and free tethering, it is used as my home broadband, saving me £25pm and everywhere I get signal it's always 3G never 2G, all for £35pm and the iPhone 4 for free!

You idiotic Americans dig your own graves: people with low cash buy these phones with **** plans, go over the limits, get hammered with charges. Unable to pay, get hammered by the banks. The contract is cancelled, Verizon lose money, the banks lose money, the customer has dug a hole through to China... Same with everything else, you dip***** don't think more than 5 minutes into the future..... And what's even better is that in a few years, all these companies will reintroduce unlimited data and everyone will rejoice! :mad:

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Wow, even the worst UK networks are better, my Hutchinson 3 network plan consists of 10000 minutes, 6000 texts, Unlimited Data (no invisible cap) and free tethering, it is used as my home broadband, saving me £25pm and everywhere I get signal it's always 3G never 2G, all for £35pm and the iPhone 4 for free!

You idiotic Americans dig your own graves: people with low cash buy these phones with **** plans, go over the limits, get hammered with charges. Unable to pay, get hammered by the banks. The contract is cancelled, Verizon lose money, the banks lose money, the customer has dug a hole through to China... Same with everything else, you dip***** don't think more than 5 minutes into the future..... And what's even better is that in a few years, all these companies will reintroduce unlimited data and everyone will rejoice! :mad:

We idiotic Americans should keep to ourselves so as not to spread our madness around the world. On behalf of all Americans, I want to apologize for our involvement in World War II. I want to apologize for our continued presence as a known defender of the Western world, allowing countries like the UK to spend money on health care and education instead of the world's most powerful military. It is a bit silly of us to spend money defending all of Europe when we should spend it on ourselves and our phone plans.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Wow... seems a little on the pricy side.

I wonder how they think they can do this sort of pricing with T-mobile practically giving away data for $20. Seems like competition will kick back in soon and bring these prices back under control.

pyro008

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Wow, so we can get reasonably priced plans if we are actually able to pay for them and don't exceed caps? Sign me up for that!

richardsonrs

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Nope. AT&T U-Verse is a iform of DSL, not fiber. Read it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uverse

Can't compare apples to oranges. Fiber TO HOME is FAR faster than anything U-Verse offers. Right now I'm running 50/20MB on FiOS and they have 100MB packages for business. U-verse barely burps out 24MB at "max turbo."

He's not comparing speeds. He is saying it's all data. And he is correct. Doesn't matter how the DATA gets there, they still know what is what. FIOS WILL be capped as well, bet on it.

Just a side note. Fiber to the node mean it's guess what? FIBER to the node. Where it's changed from fiber to copper for delivery to the home. FIOS's node is simply at the home. But honestly I'm running 24/3 on COPPER. That's pretty damn awesome and ATT is not bankrupting themselves by running fiber to people's houses. FIOS isn't rolling out quickly because V CANNOT afford it. It will kill them in the long if it's not adopted faster. All this is just kinda extra and really has nothing to do with anything.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Funny thing is this effectively makes us in the U.S. all locked to our respective iPhone carrier even after our contacts expire. I have no incentive to move to Verizon since I'm grandfathered w/ ATT. It's not a huge deal to me, just an observation.

conundrumz

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
Arizona
The beginning of a slow death for data devices. Who has the disposable income to throw away on this frivolousness?

I'm getting a new basic cell phone.

pyro008

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Technology is evolving at a rate that is almost impossible for mobile data/cell providers to keep up with, especially when combined with the influx of smartphone and netbook/pad users over the past five years. I'm not trying to say that AT&T & VZ are angels, but I certainly understand their predicament. Unlimited plans cannot reasonably exist in the ever growing world of high-bandwidth mobile media content. If for no other reason then to curb the usage of folks who insist on obliterating the data buffet.
Its not unlimited plans or the lack of them that has most people angered. It's the ridiculous prices on all wireless services. $40 per month for 450 voice minutes? Seriously? $20 for texting? $25 for a small amount of data? Then there's the taxes and fees tacked on there just in case you don't quite feel you're being overcharged enough. $300 per year for 24GB (which I cannot use any way I please)? I can use 24GB in a day on my home internet. And I thought $60 a month from comcast was bad...

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Funny thing is this effectively makes us in the U.S. all locked to our respective iPhone carrier even after our contacts expire. I have no incentive to move to Verizon since I'm grandfathered w/ ATT. It's not a huge deal to me, just an observation.

You have a great point... hopefully there is more choices soon in carriers to bring the playing field back in line.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

Check the landmass of the United States and then compare that to the UK.

mKizzo

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
The only good thing in Taiwan:
iPhone is factory unlocked
Unlimited data for 20USD a month

Sorry to all those Americanos, sounds like u guys are getting raped over there.

Burger King

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
Coastal Empire
This is false! Call the sales department (not CS) and try to add the unlimited package to a feature phone, then tell them why. You must have a smart phone with unlimited data to be grandfathered. Please do this and confirm it here for us so we can end this myth.

I have an LG EnV Touch with unlimited data.
Is it a smart or feature phone?
Had to switch to unlimited when Verizon changed their plans when adding the Iphone.

According to Verizon's websight the unlimited data is also good for feature phones.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...ion=viewFSPlanList&typeId=2&catId=323&sel=fam

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Wow... seems a little on the pricy side.

I'm entering the conversation late, but I agree with these sentiments. AT&T's plans beat the socks off these Verizon numbers. I mainly think that when companies go from unlimited -> capped plans, they should give a price break like AT&T did.

AT&T's unlimited plan was $30, and then they made 2GB $25, 200 MB $15. Verizon is going from a $30 unlimited to $30 for 2GB, and $10 for a paltry 75 MB. There's no real savings there.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
This is false! Call the sales department (not CS) and try to add the unlimited package to a feature phone, then tell them why. You must have a smart phone with unlimited data to be grandfathered. Please do this and confirm it here for us so we can end this myth.

I did call back (to CS again) and this agent said the exact opposite of the previous, in agreement with what you are saying. He said that I could get an unlimited plan now on my feature phone but it couldn't transfer because the $30 feature phone plan has a different name in their system than the $30 smartphone plan and that any changes disrupt the grandfathering magic (my paraphrasing of what he said).

However, the previous rep I spoke to was very clear that the opposite was true. I asked him if he was sure and even asked if he could guarantee I could transfer the plan to a future iPhone, and he said he would double check, and then he came back and said he was sure.

I tend to believe the second one I spoke to because it seemed like he had a bit more precise knowledge and did some more investigation than the first, so you're probably right. I think

Update: Before I posted this I decided to call one more time, this time to sales like you suggested. Like a lawyer I walked him through what I wanted to do very carefully multiple times. And he confirmed multiple times I could add a $29.99 unlimited data plan to my LG Dare (feature phone) and be grandfathered into an updated iPhone in the future with the same plan. I recorded the last call just in case.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
I think I found a loop hole for people who are already on Verizon, have a regular cell, & their upgrade is after 7/7 & will want unlimited data. It looks like you can add the unlimited data plan to any phone. One of the phones on my plan is a Moto Razr & I can add the unlimited data plan to it. If Verizon is just grandfathering everyone who has this plan it should also grandfather them in too.

If this is true, a great tip.

I've been with Verizon for over two years, and I'm thinking of an iPhone 5 when it comes out.

rock15478

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
Look, I think a lot of people are missing the point here. Argue about who "abuses" their data usage all you want or what the true numbers really are, but quite frankly, I just like the peace of mind of not having to worry about it. That's why I upgraded two weeks ago to lock myself into unlimited for sure...I don't think anyone is "abusing" anything if their plan is truly unlimited. But here's the real kicker that hasn't even came into play heavily yet:

iCloud. For you iPhone users... don't you understand that one of the huge benefits of the new iCloud service is going to suck up a ton of data usage? You plan on streaming your itunes library on your iphone when you're in you car? Yeah, good luck getting wifi while you're driving down the highway.

For me, I'm a new Google Music Beta user. It's fantastic. Uploaded my entire itunes library (it did this all for me) and all 15,000 songs of uncompressed music is on the cloud, and able to be steamed via my phone with the Google Music app. I no longer have a need for my iPod. But you don't think that's not going to suck up some data usage?

Point is this... technology is changing and with the announcement of iCloud and services like Google Music beta, carriers realize that users are going to become more and more dependent on needing data... and like someone else already said in this thread, regardless of how absurd the pricing is, users like us just keep standing in line signing up for it... because we can't live without it. It's sad but true. The benefits of the cloud are great when it comes to being able to have your entire music library at your fingertips wherever you are, all your videos/photos automatically under the hood just sync for you. No more syncing with a cable or an ipod, etc... So yeah, I think carriers are truly tuning into where this technology is going. It's not so much a matter of how much data we're using now, but how much data we're going to be using in the future.

Like it or not, this is where it's going.

yiyopr

macrumors member
May 19, 2009
So glad I made the decision to get the iPhone with unlimited data while I could. I'd rather have the iPhone4 with unlimited than the 4S or 5 (whatever you want to call it) with a monthly limit.

You're going to grandfather the unlimited plan with any new phone you get now. So you can buy the iphone 4S or 5 and still have unlimited data. Hooray for us! :cool:

jdawgnoonan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Jefferson, WI
Tiered data.

I will not pay 30 dollars for 2GB of data. I have used iPhones and android phones for four about years now and I love them all....but I will quit using a smartphone before I pay 30 dollars for 2GB of data. Streaming music makes a smartphone worthy of the investment....2GB is not worth it.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
I will not pay 30 dollars for 2GB of data. I have used iPhones and android phones for four about years now and I love them all....but I will quit using a smartphone before I pay 30 dollars for 2GB of data. Streaming music makes a smartphone worthy of the investment....2GB is not worth it.

Especially LTE data, which will get eaten in a day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.