Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
There's a little more to it than that. One of the reasons given for not supporting Flash initially was that it would drain the battery faster. Now that Flash will support H.264, that issue goes away. It's not rumor or speculation, just a logical conclusion that the iPhone will now support it.

Um thats not logical. There are several issues with Flash on the phone, neither of which are fixed with Adobe adding h.264 support. Just because they support h.264 does not logically equal that flash is less of a drain on the battery. Integrating Multi-touch into flash is most likely the biggest problem to overcome.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
From the people who brought us Sherlock and Spotlight- still no way to search contacts? And you are all whining about speaker volume? I agree it's weak- but, how hard would it be to add a search tool? Need some support here people- add search to contacts now!
...and a to-do list, etc, etc.

They seem to be waiting until Leopard is released before adding goodies. Then we will need to buy Leopard and Windows users need to buy a Mac to take advantage of these new features.

/my thoughts.

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
Um thats not logical. There are several issues with Flash on the phone, neither of which are fixed with Adobe adding h.264 support. Just because they support h.264 does not logically equal that flash is less of a drain on the battery. Integrating Multi-touch into flash is most likely the biggest problem to overcome.

Touche.

jimedit1

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2006
booo...

Yes I had added custom ringtones...

and..

Yes... for the 2nd update and for the second time... I am having to restore the whole damn thing.

No more custom hacking stuff for me. s'not worth it.

hughjaas

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
San Diego
Timer still rings even if phone ringer is muted

Common sense would be to mute the alert sound when the timer ends if the phone is set to vibrate.

It does vibrate now when the timer ends though, I don't think it did before.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Yes I had added custom ringtones...

and..

Yes... for the 2nd update and for the second time... I am having to restore the whole damn thing.

No more custom hacking stuff for me. s'not worth it.

Interesting. For my part I've decided, no more lame Apple "bug fixes" that don't fix any noticeable bugs, it's not worth having to restore and replace the hacks. I'll wait until I hear about something worth upgrading for. It almost seems like they're releasing these "fixes" just to break hacks, though I'd hate to think so poorly of them.

vrillusions

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio, US
Just updated mine (hacked with iFuntastic). First downloaded the small update, during verification if gave the unknown error (0xE8000029), always loved the "unknown error" errors. Downloaded full image, did restore. I was able to restore from the previous backup, unlike what happened with the engadget people. iFuntastic v2.5 was about able to break it out of jail, add my custom carrier logo and ringtone, and rejail it without issues.

Didn't notice a big improvement in wifi performance like others have. It's a little better, but not really big. Solved the "vrillusions" bug I called it. Basically if you try to type my username, vrillusions, it would not let you enter the u. That still happened and backspaced to correct it, but it learned it the second time so it works. I guess in more general terms that means if you enter a word and halfway correct it, the dictionary will still learn it. v1.0.1 and lower would not learn the word if you edit it midway. Was one of the biggest annoyances for me.

svalentine

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I never "hacked" my iPhone and I was forced to do a full RESTORE when updating to 1.0.2. So, now I'm downloading the 91meg file! I don't understand why!

polotoby

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
Exchange account

I work in IT, and we were having a problem with an iPhone that would not allow it to sync (or even setup) his Exchange account. After installing that, we dont have a problem *yet* :)

Thats because you have to enable IMAP services on the EXCHANGE server. good luck dealing with that Microsoft security loop hole.

iPhoneHome

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2007
Interesting. For my part I've decided, no more lame Apple "bug fixes" that don't fix any noticeable bugs, it's not worth having to restore and replace the hacks. I'll wait until I hear about something worth upgrading for. It almost seems like they're releasing these "fixes" just to break hacks, though I'd hate to think so poorly of them.

"think so poorly of them"
i totally understand why apple does this...i'm pretty sure it will save them some customer service time & money because of all the inexperienced hackers that end up bricking their phones. They never made these phones with the Intention of them being hacked and modded...so why not protect your product??

iPhoneHome

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2007
the biggest difference is being able to scroll down without loading the entire page. very useful while using edge.

Malamutt

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
Still hanging at about 80% when I download the restore file anyone else have this issue?

:apple: Malamutt

GravityEyes

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2007
Nashville, TN
There's a little more to it than that. One of the reasons given for not supporting Flash initially was that it would drain the battery faster. Now that Flash will support H.264, that issue goes away. It's not rumor or speculation, just a logical conclusion that the iPhone will now support it.

And please provide some evidence/proof to support your claim. This 'change' is only to streaming video, which may account for roughly 20-30% of Flash content. Vector animations won't drain the battery ? You must not be a developer ....

So you are saying that specific to the decoding of On2 and Spark videos via Flash player drains the battery faster than H.264 ??? Rubbish.

More unsubstantiated and ill-informed claims ....

crazedbytheheat

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
I *want* flash

The biggest complaint I have with the lack of flash support is how much apple uses flash with their stuff.

I created a site using iWeb, added the iTunes widget from Apple (flash widget), created some movies with iMovie (6+8 to do everything). Uploaded said movies to YouTube and added to my iWeb app. Uploaded site to .mac. I can't view it on my iPhone. Everything, with the exception of YouTube, is an Apple product, but they don't work together. I really expect a bit more from apple. In case you are wondering, I'm uploading the video to save on .mac space. Maybe I'll try posting albums directly until I get close to no space, but even 10 GB goes pretty fast between backup and movies.

BTW - phone updated fine - no hacks.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
same here

Update failed. Now I have to restore and update. :eek: My fault due to the ringtones and hacks and stuff. Any other modders have a problem?

My only mod was ringtones... from the Apple store thank you... update swacked the iPhone but the update, restore and re whatever else is going very well ... songs and such going in as I type... :eek:

un1ty

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
They fixed a small but annoying bug I had noticed ever since I first got the phone.

Sometimes you couldn't close vertical tabs while in landscape mode because the title of the pages would block out the close button.

Now, if you switch modes with multiple pages open, the tabs automatically change to the correct mode and you can close them properly! Yay!

cowm007

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
Right on. I imagine it's rather hard to get most flash sites working when there's no "mouseover" event and practically all menus depend on it.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Common sense would be to mute the alert sound when the timer ends if the phone is set to vibrate.

It does vibrate now when the timer ends though, I don't think it did before.

I see what your saying, but I disagree. I like the fact that I can have my phone on silent when I go to sleep but the alarm still goes off when it's time to get up. ;)

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
something like that

i keep getting an error after the update downloads in itunes but before it loads onto my phone:

"there was a problem downloading the iphone software....An unknown error occurred (-48).

Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again."

anyone else?

My first download was only a few seconds the the update started and my iPhone bricked. I got the same error message as you; tried to calm myself and just let iTunes do its thing... iPhone came back from the yellow triangle of death, connected to iTunes then the real download started to a lot longer but still quick... phone is ok now... thank God or Steve

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
So you are saying that specific to the decoding of On2 and Spark videos via Flash player drains the battery faster than H.264 ??? Rubbish.

Actually, iPhone has a dedicated chips that do decode h.264... so that part is true that it is probably more battery efficient. however, I agree that this doesn't necessarily mean anything.

arn

mrowl

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Texas, USA
My first download was only a few seconds the the update started and my iPhone bricked. I got the same error message as you; tried to calm myself and just let iTunes do its thing... iPhone came back from the yellow triangle of death, connected to iTunes then the real download started to a lot longer but still quick... phone is ok now... thank God or Steve

bricked means dead, never to work again... Yours still works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.