Vertical line on Apple Watch Series 4.. :(

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by WilliamG, Oct 8, 2018.

1. garethjs macrumors 6502a

ya its extremely hard to picture, hard to see but much harder to un-see

If you activate torch before it gets too bright it’s between the second and 3 dot (from the left)

2. Craigus91 macrumors newbie

Hi mrex,

I’ve added some arrows to the photo posted above, the line is a little bit to the left of these arrows and most noticeable at the very top of the screen (probably because of the lighting). It is very faint but if you look closely it’s just there.

Hope this helps.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 20, 2018 ---
    If there’s anyone reading here who commented earlier to say they didn’t have an issue: could you post a picture similar to the one from before so we can have a look?

Thanks

Attached Files:

3. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

thanks for the pic. unfortunately i dont see any grey line on that photo (fully opened in ipad pro). i quess it is better visible irl...

4. SeanLe macrumors newbie

SeanLe

It’s extremely faint and this may sound silly, but try tilt your screen around it will become apparent. It’s almost like optical illusion, that once you see it, you can’t unsee it.

5. tl01 macrumors 68020

I don’t see the line in that photo but I have a super faint line on my phone when in the dark.

6. Craigus91 macrumors newbie

I’ve found it a lot easier to see the line on the photo when I view it on my phone but I cannot see it when I view the photo on my PC. It really is that difficult to distinguish

7. 28Gauge macrumors 6502

28Gauge

Although very faint, it is on mine, too. 44mm SG Nike+ LTE.

8. CreepyAF macrumors regular

CreepyAF

9. <3raining macrumors member

I made some pictures, ss gold 44

Attached Files:

10. Craigus91 macrumors newbie

Nearly invisible sadly :(
    Thanks for the photos, can you see it on yours? It looks like your torch is on maximum brightness there which makes it very difficult to see. It’s more prominent just before the torch screen ramps up to maximum brightness.

11. <3raining macrumors member

I can't see the line on my watch, but I'll try to make better photos in the evening.

12. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

As other have said, it’s a lot easier to see in the Maps app while scrolling round the screen.

13. <3raining macrumors member

I was looking in the Maps too. I'm not saying it's 100% not there, I just can't see it no matter how I look.

14. Craigus91 macrumors newbie

If you get a chance to send a picture of your watch with the maps app open that would be greatly appreciated.

15. <3raining macrumors member

16. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

What’s your Watch brightness set to?

17. <3raining macrumors member

On lowest.
    And this on brightest

Attached Files:

18. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

19. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I don’t see anything on my SS44. If there is something there, it’s too faint to be bothered by.

I do think that showing a photo of a map with lines on it is the best way to get people to see the actual issue.

Download this gray gradient and let it sync to your watch photos, then open it and scroll all the way in with the crown until you get the stop haptic. Then drag it left and right at varying speeds with your finger while staring at the center of the screen. If there are any brightness/darkness “lines”, they should be visible using this technique. It’s an old retoucher’s trick for checking banding in Photoshop.

Attached Files:

20. Craigus91 macrumors newbie

I agree with you there William, I genuinely can’t see it on this watch.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 21, 2018 ---
    Thanks for the test image mcdj however this seems to make my screen look worse. I can still see the persistent line however there seems to be many lines on the test image that move around with it when you scroll. Have you tried it on your watch at all?

21. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

So, for science, I went to the Apple Store today and swapped out my 44 SS/white sport band model. The replacement is MILES better. There's still a line IF you know what to look for. I had not had the experience with my first one I'd never, ever notice - and I'm picky. It's near invisible. I have to really tilt and turn the Watch to even remotely see it. Even then, it's almost a trick of the eyes to see it.

That said, this replacement Watch SS 44mm has... light bleed (for lack of a better word) toward the bottom of the screen. It's not a major deal, and I'll take it over the really annoying vertical line that was super obvious. It's only noticeable on grey (e.g. scrolling through the Settings menus) while in a dimly-lit room. Bleh. I'm done with Watches. :)

So yeah, I think all the 44 Watches have this line anomaly, but there's definitely a variance in how noticeable it is.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I’m Thinking you’re correct. It’s likely variable for certain watches how noticeable it is, and if one actually knows specifically what to look for. Your eyes are more trained to know what to look for versus someone who does not recognize the vertical line.

23. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

This remind me of the damping wires that had been used in old Sony Trinitron aperture grille CRT Displays.

24. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I have looked at the images in this thread and loaded the torch and maps on my SS 44mm - I don't have any lines at all. If I did, I would return it ASAP having bought it only a week ago.

I'm not sure on what basis people are assuming this issue is widespread - this thread is tiny in size and sample rate.

25. Extoll macrumors member

Extoll

SG S4 Sports band, 44. Release day model.

I have a line and no light bleed. Notice it a few days ago. It's nothing bad and can't see it on any watch faces i use. It's very odd it's showing up at the same spot for everyone. Time to take a look at the tear downs of the watch. Maybe it's a bad design and something pushing on the screen at the same spot making the screen bend a little and making the line.