Vertical line on Apple Watch Series 4.. :(

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by WilliamG, Oct 8, 2018.

1. techno-Zen, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018

techno-Zen macrumors 6502a

techno-Zen

I'm all aboard the light bleed issue gate.. but this is a stretch - It is there literally at the 50% middle location on the OLED display but even as a picky person I don't see how this is an actual issue. I think this is just how these panels are manufactured for such a small screen
    --- Post Merged, Oct 24, 2018 ---
    Look at this broken display. I think it's a series 3.. This is about where it is.. so this seems normal.

[​IMG]

2. Craigus91 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Just checking in with an update, I’ve been to 4 different Apple Stores this week swapping my watch in the hope of finding a line free one. I’ve had 4 replacements from separate shops and they’ve all been the same (as wide a sample rate as I can get), even the staff at the shop couldn’t believe it but after they looked at the demo models and found the same issue they’ve advised me to give it at least a month and try to exchange again because they’re making the assumption that there’s a bad batch of panels being fitted. Glad yours is looking a bit better William :)

3. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Yep, as I said earlier, I think they all have it. Some are more faint than others, absolutely. Mine is unnoticeable - I'd never notice it unless I knew what I was looking for. Mine might be so unnoticeable due to the grey boost (bleed) present. Trade-off, I suppose!

Honestly, I only swapped mine for science. I wasn't super bothered, really, though obviously you'd prefer not to have the issue in the first place.

4. Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

Take a screenshot. If it’s software, it will be there. If it’s the screen, it won’t. A screenshot is just a grab of the GPU output. Right?

5. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

It’s not going to show up on a screenshot.

That said, it could still be a software glitch controlling the hardware.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

In my opinion, I don’t think it’s bad panels. I think this just might be a variation with a specific display and how it’s manufactured. Unless its corrected in the future, I suspect all the Apple Watch models will have this in some form or another, either being extreme or barely noticeable.

7. ipaddaro macrumors regular

you can see it very well if you set the watch on theatre mode and then turning on the screen with the digital crown... just turning it a little bit the lighting will increase just a little and the in certain faces you’ll be able to see it clearly.

i don’t think it is a issue, but only related with how panels are made...

8. jags828 macrumors member

I have the same line, in the same spot. I noticed it a few days ago, now it’s hard to not look for it. The new full color faces makes it stick out even more.

9. garethjs, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018

garethjs macrumors 6502a

Yes I completely forgot about it until I tried the new faces out today and it’s right there..

I got a gold SS which has the best brightness eveness I’ve seen on a S4. So I’m not returning this

10. keyben85 macrumors newbie

I don't know if it's just me, but I see a lot of vertical ligns on my screen when looking in the maps app. Is this the same issue? First saw it on the full white watch face.

IMG_0664.jpeg

11. garethjs macrumors 6502a

12. keyben85 macrumors newbie

Damn you full color watch face.
    Still in my return period. But second watch already. First one had light bleed on the left side

IMG_0017.jpeg IMG_0021.jpeg

No luck with the series 4 for now.

13. nixx macrumors newbie

Series 4 44mm space grey aluminium... also have the line. Same place as everybody else.

14. Simacca macrumors 65816

Simacca

Same here on my 44 SG. Have to really look for it though.

It’s an OLED quirk. Doesn’t bother me tbh.

15. Mapple86 macrumors 6502

Noticed a small vertical line in the middle too. But only because I searched for it and only on colors which I would normals not use. Beside this, the screen is ok compared to others with problems of uniform lightning. What do you think?

Attached Files:

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think your display looks fairly uniform and even. I see some slight imbalance, but not enough that I would warrant a return, especially not knowing what the Next display could be like.

17. Mapple86 macrumors 6502

yes this is the point why I think I will keep it.
    And to be honnest... I will use this thing for 2-3 years and get a new one.
    I dont think that a buyer will check something like this on a 2-3 year old watch.
    And if it gets worse, I can still hope to use the warranty in 10 month or so.

18. thanosbel macrumors newbie

Guys i thought i was crazy until i found this thread... Just got my second apple watch and i am returning for the exact same reason. The pale-reddish vertical line. The first watch was produced on last week of August. The last one was produced on last week of October. When was yours manufactured? I used the following web page to check https://sndeep.info/en .

Did all of you have the exact problem on the exact position as sketched on the first photo attached?

Attached Files:

19. Alicia1 macrumors regular

Yep, mine was in the exact same spot. Thankfully apple let me return my launch day watch 6 days past the return period. The one I have now was manufactured week 40, beginning of October and it is fine. Using that website it says the factory is in Freemont California USA which I find very hard to believe.

20. thanosbel macrumors newbie

Yeah both of my defected watches were reported to be produced in the same factory which i really find hard to believe!!! Unfortunately even a watch from the latest week of October has the issue!!! Good for you though that you got a properly working unit :D

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Apple has primarily one watch manufacturer, which is ‘Quanta’, that’s not hard to believe both your watches was produced in the same factory, considering they manufacture _millions_ of Apple watches. Just recently, Apple did start adding a second supplier to assist with demand, but I doubt that’s where your Apple watches were produced.

22. n1ghtrain macrumors member

n1ghtrain

I have the exact same issue. Week 38 here.

23. Mduncan2014 macrumors newbie

upload_2019-1-21_20-40-23.jpeg Got my watch in Jan 2018 and just noticed vertical lines on the display. I have not dropped the watch or hit it on anything so I can’t figure out what has happened! upload_2019-1-21_20-40-23.jpeg

24. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

That’s a VERY different issue to the rest of this thread. Hopefully you either have AppleCare, or your January, 2018 purchase is still in the 1-year warranty period!

25. SnyG macrumors regular

SnyG

Got mine on Saturday just gone and the line’s there. Barely, barely noticeable and otherwise the screen is uniform, but it’s there when I’ve got the full colour face on.