Video Comparison: Samsung Galaxy S9 vs. iPhone X

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 9, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Pre-orders for the Samsung Galaxy S9 started last week, and the first S9 orders are set to arrive to customers on March 14. We managed to get our hands on a new Galaxy S9 ahead of the device's launch date, so we thought we'd compare Samsung's new flagship device to Apple's latest flagship device, the iPhone X.

Design wise, the Galaxy S9 looks a lot like the Galaxy S8, with slim bezels at the top, sides, and bottom and a display that curves downward at the sides. It's taller and slimmer than the iPhone X, and with Samsung continuing to use a thicker top bezel, there's no notch. The Galaxy S9 has a 2960 x 1440 display, which DisplayMate says is better than the iPhone X's display.

With the Galaxy S9, Samsung uses multiple biometric methods, so there's a fingerprint sensor that's been relocated to the middle of the device's back underneath the rear camera, making it easier to reach. The iPhone X, of course, has fully embraced facial recognition, something Samsung hasn't been able to do because it's using an inferior 2D facial and iris recognition system that's not secure enough on its own.

A fingerprint sensor is, of course, an attractive offering for those who prefer fingerprint sensors to facial recognition, and offering multiple biometric methods provides consumers with choice. The Galaxy S9 also continues to offer a headphone jack, which Apple abandoned with the iPhone 7.

Samsung's Galaxy S9 is using variable aperture camera technology (with two cameras if you have an S9+), and it's putting out photos on par with the iPhone X (if not better), and to combat Animoji, Samsung has its own new AR Emoji, which are more realistic humanoid animated emojis that some have called creepy. We'll be looking into both AR Emoji and the Galaxy S9 and S9+ cameras in later videos, so make sure to visit MacRumors next week to check those features out in detail.

The Galaxy S9 runs Android 8.0 Oreo, with useful features like native multitasking and edge panel customization. Android is appealing to many because it's more customizable than iOS, but it can't match features like iMessage and Continuity, and these key differences are what draw people to the different operating systems and drive customer loyalty.

When it comes to performance, Samsung's Galaxy S9 doesn't quite measure up to the iPhone X in terms of benchmarks, but in day to day usage, the difference isn't noticeable. Both devices are responsive, fast, and offer the kind of performance you expect in an expensive flagship smartphone. It's worth noting, though, that Galaxy S9 pricing starts at $720 in the US, while pricing on the Galaxy S9+ starts at $840. That's a solid $280 to $160 price difference compared to the $999 price tag of the iPhone X, and lower price is often an edge that Android devices have over iOS devices.

With Samsung and Apple devices, deciding which one is "better" is often a matter of choosing your preferred features and your preferred operating system. Both of these smartphones are fast, modern, and highly capable devices and each one has its upsides and downsides.

We'll be further exploring similarities and differences between Samsung's new flagship smartphones and the iPhone X next week, but let us know what you think of the new Galaxy S9 in the comments below.

Article Link: Video Comparison: Samsung Galaxy S9 vs. iPhone X
  2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

May 31, 2015
    Rio Grande Valley in South Texas
    It’s got good color choices, I wish Apple had a blue iPhone X :(
  3. Asarien macrumors regular

Sep 24, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
  4. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

Jun 24, 2010
  5. Baymowe335 macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2017
  6. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2008
    It is a nice color.

Also glad the fingerprint sensor is below the camera this year. Should be slightly lower, but it's a step in the right direction.
  7. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    To me, it all boils down to OS/ecosystem preference. Every flagship phone out there has been pretty excellent in terms of hardware for a number of years now. So honestly, I don’t really care what fancy new feature either company introduces - I’m going to stick with Apple because I prefer MacOS/iOS/TvOS/iCloud etc to the equivalent offerings on android/google.
  8. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2008
    Samsung has great (subjective) design. Apple has great (subjective) design. For me, the ecosystem and how I work/play will keep me with an iPhone. Handoff, Continuity, and Universal Clipboard between Mac, iPhone, and iPad have me locked in. Nothing on Android could get me to be satisfied without those features.
  9. nsayer macrumors 6502a

Jan 23, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    Let's just get this out there... Despite Samsung's protestations, the S9 has a notch too. It's just the entire width of the screen.
  10. cmaier macrumors G4

Jul 25, 2007
    But what about X? ;-)
  11. Jackmichealkeen macrumors newbie

Mar 6, 2018
    Samsung has always been a poor person iphone
  12. kt87 macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2011
    The notification icon bar at the top of Android OS does not hinder pictures or videos though
  13. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

Jun 24, 2010
    Nice try... but we all know what a notch is.
    And we all know what a rectangle is, and why a rectangle without a notch is a better display.
  14. ocnitsa macrumors regular

Jan 24, 2011
    For some of us, it’s not a matter that we prefer the Apple ecosystem, it’s a question of how entrenched we are in it and how difficult it is to extricate ourselves from it.
  15. JGIGS macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2008

Hmmm maybe if iMessage was cross platform or had a web app option but I'm not usually using a Mac (especially at work) so it's whatsapp for me. Technically google/android can match iMessage with hangouts or allo just not enough people use those apps.

Continuity again great if you use only Apple products but for a decent amount of us cross platform users not something that is driving me to be loyal.
  16. apppen1 macrumors 6502

Oct 2, 2016
    Great review. I'd still choose the S9 for sure, much more advanced OS and features, prettier phone and of course no Notch.
  17. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

Nov 23, 2011
    The S9 looks seriously ugly in my opinion, as did the S8. I’m sure many will disagree but for me it fundamentally fails aesthetically.

Honestly I don’t know why people are so hyped about it.
  18. itsmilo macrumors 68000

Sep 15, 2016
    I dont like this narrower approach. I am hoping for a wider X Plus
  19. apppen1 macrumors 6502

Oct 2, 2016
    You're blind right? Or you never seen and hold one in your hands...
  20. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

Jul 28, 2012
    Yikes. Show me a poor person that can afford that $700+ device -- the same as an iPhone, mind you!
  21. apppen1, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2018

apppen1 macrumors 6502

Oct 2, 2016
    Apple user brainwashing succeeded.
  22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Aug 8, 2008
    I said this on another thread, but Google Assistant running natively on an iPhone instead of useless Siri would be perfect for me.
  23. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

Dec 9, 2008
    You are correct. :p I don't know why, but the curved display (which I didn't think I'd care at all about) really hides the bezels. Then there's the notch on the iPX; I wanna like the notch, but I can't figure out how.

FWIW, I'm still on an iPhone SE, so neither companies were likely to gain a sale from me.
  24. mi7chy macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2014
    Agree with the video in regards to authentication flexibility of the Galaxy S9. It only needs to add a front, preferably in-screen, fingerprint sensor to cover all usage cases.

Both Animoji and AR Emoji should be made uninstallable for people who don't care for gimmicks.
  25. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

Jul 28, 2012
    I still really dig the edge display -- the way that the display seems just roll off the edge of the phone. Knockout design, IMO.

After looking at the S8 last year, and now the S9, it really does make you go "Holy side bezels!" with after phone you pick up thereafter.