Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This video shows the first setup of iOS 5 simply using your Apple ID, demonstrating one of the big new features of iOS 5 termed "PC Free".
With iOS 5, you no longer need a computer to own an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. Activate and set up your device wirelessly, right out of the box. Download free iOS software updates directly on your device. Do more with your apps -- like editing your photos or adding new email folders -- on your device, without the need for a Mac or PC. And back up and restore your device automatically using iCloud.
The video shows a user first setting up their iPhone by entering their Apple ID and password. iOS 5 then asks the user to set up iCloud and Find My iPhone, after which the iPhone is restored from backup with Apps being redownloaded in the background.

Article Link: Video of "PC Free" Set Up of iOS 5 with iCloud

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
anybody notice how the iPod app has been split up to have separate apps for music/videos/etc... (a la iPod Touch style).

calsci

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

NXTMIKE said:
anybody notice how the iPod app has been split up to have separate apps for music/videos/etc... (a la iPod Touch style).

I really hope they just keep it as a unified app like it is now. It works great. I wish they could bring the unified approach to the touch instead

megsandbytes

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
This is a great improvement. Not exactly sure why a "PC Free" type setup wasn't the case to begin with (mainly speaking about the iPad here), but better late than never.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Cool video. It does, however, miss out the steps where you select your country and so forth (ie. on a device that hasn't been restored from a backup).

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
This is a great improvement. Not exactly sure why a "PC Free" type setup wasn't the case to begin with (mainly speaking about the iPad here), but better late than never.

Generally speaking, you can assume that if Apple doesn't do something obvious right away it's because they felt they couldn't do a good job of it and thus held back until they felt they were ready. It can be frustrating. Other companies push functionality out even when it isn't ready just to fill out check lists, but Apple is willing to lose the check list war if they can win the ease of use war in the long run.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Given the trends in PC sales, being PC free will be especially appreciated by Windows users.

Not to mention Lion will be $30 and Windows is well over $100.

gigemzach

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I just feel that this is going to use A LOT of data. Not only am I capped on the mobile side but I am capped at home. I am not allowed no more than 30GB at home. I really love this idea, but am worried about the risks.

EllieV

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Has anyone noticed how the iPhone is a Verizon iPhone? You can see the carrier name and different antenna

silentnite

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Outer sight.. Outer mind
All I can say is Apple is on the right track for the future. This is where it's at. easy setup no computer needed means faster upgrading and uploading and can be done from the office or your car while on the go.

iMJustAGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2007
Beach, FL
I just feel that this is going to use A LOT of data. Not only am I capped on the mobile side but I am capped at home. I am not allowed no more than 30GB at home. I really love this idea, but am worried about the risks.

Most all home internet is capped now but it's usually between 200 and 300 gigs. Why in the world is yours 30?

dannyboy8807

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2010
multiple iPhones with the same iTunes login?

I work in a retail store an often see many customers share iTunes logins to share paid apps. At first this seemed like it would make my job a lot easier but I suppose people sharing iTunes accounts would end up identical in every other way huh? I suppose that is against the user agreement anyway though is it not?

Hueyfreeman

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
Notice the "PC Free" double-meaning? ;)

Post-PC era, folks.

Now all they need is an accessible file system. And they could almost pass for it.

I know i am going to get downvoted for this but at the moment Android is more passable for a PC replacement then iOS. But the gap is closing.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Well now iOS can run independent from a computer so they are now they are a legit computer themselves. Pretty cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.