Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkinstx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2017
7dd0e653288b02299498c67ffc487bb3213f9bfe1ed78bbae7e9b9c78eab56d7.jpg
Yep, social media challenge. We can call this one the Darwin Award Challenge.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
This is the greatest video ever and so fun. The secretary of transportation needs to relax and not be a tool.

EDIT: Oh wow, I didnt realize everyone else had not had their coffee and thought some goofy video made for TikTok was to be taken seriously and were all up in arms about it. Relax everyone. It just the smash up of two hot tech items for the clicks.
Okay, so now we know the video is a fake and was produced as a gimmick. The people who produced have come out and admitted it. It was pointed out on X that the Tesla Cybertruck does NOT have autonomous driving at this time.

So either Buttigieg fell for the scam or he intentionally posted it to make his point.

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
Very simple solution...a federal regulation and state regulations banning the use of such devices when operating a motor vehicle or transportation device of any sort (planes, trains, cars, motorcycles, scooters, boats, skateboards, rollerblades, etc. etc.) that will result in the immediate confiscation of the device used with the device being recycled, the immediate impounding of the vehicle it was used with, a immediate revokation and/or suspension of one's operator's license with mandatory application and training and succesful test requirements for a new license, mandatory heavy fines and possible mandatory imprisonment for reckless operation.

In a nutshell, zero mercy for those with such contempt towards the lives and property of others. :)

Bigkool2inSC

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2023
Greenville, SC
if you plan on driving with the AVP, please make sure someone has access to it, so that if the AVP survives and you don't, they can still use it / sell it..

Hate for that technology to go to waste..

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive

The Cappy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market
Like regular truck buyers but far worse. They just buy that thing to be seen in it. Just another of the type of person who buys a truck when they don’t actually need a truck.
Huh. You know a bucketload of cybertruck drivers already, that you can make this generalization? Or are you just getting angry and judgmental about people who are no more than figments of your imagination. I'm guessing the latter.

fithian

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Eastern PA
As someone else pointed out, the VP will work on a plane, but not on a train or a car, or even walking. The windows will stay where they were when you created them. If you create a window and then get up to get a drink, when you come back the window will be where you created it. The video is a fake.

Reactions: decypher44

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
I saw an accident today in the flesh, where a cyclist was hit by a car and launched him in the air. I had to do some first aid until he went to hospital (Luckily he is ok and didn't even break a bone). Now, that was a mistake with somebody paying full attention, it's only going to be a matter of days or weeks before some AI-driving car and/or AR-wearing idiot driver wipes out somebody at full speed. Driving is no Joke.

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2022
Sad to say that I know exactly where that video was shot. Timp Hwy in Lehi, UT, is a very fast moving highway. It cuts through "silicon slopes" and fronts large campuses for Adobe and Texas Instruments. Utah drivers are really bad. They speed, weave, don't slow down in the snow and rain, and make a lot of other harebrained maneuvers.
AND TESLA DRIVERS ARE THE WORST OF THEM ALL!!

This video only confirms what I already know.

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Looks like a fake video. But either way, this is the level we are at. Warnings to not eat Tide Pods, warnings that hot coffee is.... well... hot, and now warnings to not impair vision when driving a motor vehicle.

Reactions: jwdsail

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
If there was a way to guarantee these morons would only kill themselves it would be a net benefit for the planet.
Exactly!
I don't mind the Darwin awards, if no other people are involved in their stupidity.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Like regular truck buyers but far worse. They just buy that thing to be seen in it. Just another of the type of person who buys a truck when they don’t actually need a truck.
Hahaha, that’s a good one, coming from someone on MR packed with people who always buy the latest Apple gear to be seen with it. I find it interesting that you say that about a truck but not the VP; there’s not a single person on the planet who needs a VP.

As for people who buy trucks who don’t need it, if you haven’t noticed, the VAST number of drivers on the road drive solo so they technically don’t even need a 4 seater so let’s not be a hypocrite.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
That's the kind of accusation that's often hurled at Apple device users. You only buy Apple because you want others to see you using it.

I have a reservation for a Cybertruck. But if you think I wanted it so that I could be seen in it, it must be projection because you're wrong. I think Cybertruck is cool. I have bought many cars because I thought they were cool. I had a Pontiac Grand Prix that had a heads up display. So Cool. I had a 2000 Honda Insight that was the first hybrid car I could buy. It was cool that it got 60 mpg. I later got a Prius that was not cool. It looked so much like a Ford Focus that I would often mistake one for the other if I saw one approaching me on the highway. I just needed a car to drive in Bethesda, because my Insight was back in Texas. After a year, I sold that Prius to my Dad, and I bought a new Prius that had the cool iconic aerodynamic Prius design. Five years later I traded it in for another Prius, because Prius was still cool. I didn't think it was cool when Honda released an Insight sedan that looked like the new Prius.

In all these cases, I meant these cars were cool to me. I didn't care what other people thought.

As for Cybertruck, I wanted it for the coolness, and also because it would seat six people and it had room in the bed for six people's luggage. I would be using it as an SUV with an emphasis on the U. We could take it on road trips, and we could even tow a small RV trailer. And I could take it to Lowes or IKEA. Or the landscaping place to bring home rocks, or bricks, or sod. Truck things, though it would be used as an SUV more of the time.

Unfortunately, the production model of Cybertruck only seats five people, and my family is six people. That makes it far less practical for me. And the behavior of Tesla's CEO in recent years keeps me from thinking "maybe I can still make Cybertruck work for me". So I won't likely be getting a Cybertruck. I still think the truck itself is cool.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I saw an accident today in the flesh, where a cyclist was hit by a car and launched him in the air. I had to do some first aid until he went to hospital (Luckily he is ok and didn't even break a bone). Now, that was a mistake with somebody paying full attention, it's only going to be a matter of days or weeks before some AI-driving car and/or AR-wearing idiot driver wipes out somebody at full speed. Driving is no Joke.
The accident you saw today proves that cars driven by humans are too dangerous. Humans are the problem.

The time will come when AI driven vehicles will be statistically safer than vehicles driven by humans. But accidents will still happen (just less often). I wonder how long it will be before we lose the tendency to blame accidents on "AI", rather than looking at the actual circumstances of the accident.

Reactions: LowKeyed

okieoutwest

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2019
Imagine getting into an accident and throwing a significant portion of your life away for this foolishness.

A guy I used to run into at the bar caused a car accident that killed someone and it was a cut and dried case against him. I won’t say much else because the case was publicized and is easily googled with even a few more details.

I don’t care to scold anyone, what’s the point? But everyone saying, “relax it’s just a stunt” I doubt has ever had a friend or family member killed by a distracted driver or known someone who went to prison for manslaughter. Driving in public roads isn’t a recreation— or shouldn’t be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.