Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Man on the moon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Los Angeles
I have noticed stuttering on videos and wanted to see if this was just my phone or known issue.

Watched Wonder woman and noticed stuttering at times in movie and i also tried Avengers IW and same thing.

It's a noticeable stutter, anyone else encounter this?

Reactions: LitoG.

truthiness

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
I've had a serious banding issue on the default slo mo video mode. Left side of frame has a black and white band down the side. Goes away pretty much at higher frame rate.

Reactions: valinda

kelleybp

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2010
I am also having this problem. It’s very noticeable. Have seen it on 4K movies from iTunes and 4K videos shot in the camera. Playback on videos shot with the XS Max camera looks great when viewed on my 7+ but noticeably stutters or judders when played on the XS Max.

I’m a bit relieved to see that I’m not the only one having this problem but it’s a deal breaker for me. My XS Max is getting returned.

Sputnik77

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
I am also having this problem. It’s very noticeable. Have seen it on 4K movies from iTunes and 4K videos shot in the camera. Playback on videos shot with the XS Max camera looks great when viewed on my 7+ but noticeably stutters or judders when played on the XS Max.

I’m a bit relieved to see that I’m not the only one having this problem but it’s a deal breaker for me. My XS Max is getting returned.

I'm having the same issue. I think what I will do is return it and buy another one and see if that fixes it.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
After reading several posts about this, I just started streaming "Terminator: Judgement Day" 4K on the Max. Thus far, no stuttering.

People need to make sure and file a bug report with Apple. It will do no good to complain here and not tell Apple, so that they can push a software update.

Reactions: ROLLTIDE1

Bard32

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
I am having the same issue on my Xs Max. Downloaded and watched HDR copy of Lights Out from the iTunes Store and am getting stuttery playback. Also getting this from other video files on place on my device via iTunes.

Interestingly I was listening to music with my AirPods in just before and after went and payed a little more of the movie and there was absolutely no stutter and it was very smooth... very odd. From what I can gather it’s when the audio is coming through the phone speakers, but I can’t see how this can effect video playback.

Can anyone else with this issue test my theory and play a video while using headphones?

Sputnik77

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
I wish I would have read this sooner. On impulse I returned my Xs Max to the Apple Store for a refund. I talked to Apple Support beforehand and they wanted me to send it in for service. I don’t need a 1 day old iPhone serviced. I’m going to wait until the dust settles and buy it again mid-October (or later). Based on my own debugging, I think it’s a hardware issue. But I could be wrong. I never tried playing video with earbuds.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Ok however some have problems, other don't

That doesn't make it hardware issue. How are they connecting? WiFi? LTE? 3G? Who is their Provider? Are they Using a VPN? Perhaps there is an issue with the DNS that supports their region? Perhaps there is an issue with the Load distribution system.

There is so much more to a problem like this before you can naïvely call it a hardware issue.

Sputnik77

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
That doesn't make it hardware issue. How are they connecting? WiFi? LTE? 3G? Who is their Provider? Are they Using a VPN? Perhaps there is an issue with the DNS that supports their region? Perhaps there is an issue with the Load distribution system.

There is so much more to a problem like this before you can naïvely call it a hardware issue.

I downloaded The Post fully before playing it and it still stuttered pretty bad. That suggests a hardware issue; or a pervasive bug in OS12 hdr decoding. But since it’s not affecting everyone the software bug seems less likely.

Bard32

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
I’m hesitant to return it. It’s like playing the lottery with phones at launch. Aside from this issue the phone is great in every other area.

I don’t want to risk returning it for another that could have the same issue or one that has a different issue.

Out of the box there were no imperfections on the build quality of my phone like some have encountered. Battery life is fantastic and performance (aside from the video issue) is great overall.

It is very odd that there is no video issue for me when Bluetooth headphones are connected.

I’m inclined to just wait and see what happens.

Sputnik77

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
I’m hesitant to return it...It is very odd that there is no video issue for me when Bluetooth headphones are connected

You have two weeks to return it. I mostly watch video without headphones and the issue was unbearable for me. It could be a software issue. Could be a hardware thing. Only time will tell. Since my 7 Plus works fine, I’m okay waiting a few more weeks. And since I paid full price upfront for an unlocked phone, I want it minimally to do what my 7 Plus can do (play videos).

Gunnilingus

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
I too am having this issue. it does it with iTunes content via streaming or if its downloaded. I also does it on Netflix. It does it on HDR and non HDR alike. I also have tried clean installs of iOS 12 and iOS 12.1.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Also seeing this on my XS Max on both iTunes content and in the Vudu app.

And as others have reported, you can watch a scene with the stuttering and rewind and rewatch and you may not see the stuttering again.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Is this only for the Max? After seeing these threads, I watched the beginning of Deadpool 2 earlier this afternoon, comparing the X and XS side-by-side, and I didn’t notice any difference at all. No stuttering, and HDR seemed great on both.

snowatom

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2011
Denmark
I think its an OLED issue - and I think it is on all iPhones with OLED screen

Between the different types of panels, OLEDs trump LEDs in almost every aspect. Picture quality and motion blur are especially far ahead on OLEDs. Unfortunately, Samsung's QLEDs did not do much to bridge the gap between the two technologies and in some ways even regressed in performance.

For some people, the extraordinarily small amount of motion blur of OLED screens can be a disadvantage. Lower framerate content such as movies may appear stuttery since the frames do not blend.

In essence, the quality of the motion on a TV is defined by its pixels' speed when switching from showing one thing to another. While in some cases this might not be preferred by some people, in sports, video games and broadcast TV the much faster response time of OLED TVs are a big advantage..

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
I think its an OLED issue - and I think it is on all iPhones with OLED screen

Between the different types of panels, OLEDs trump LEDs in almost every aspect. Picture quality and motion blur are especially far ahead on OLEDs. Unfortunately, Samsung's QLEDs did not do much to bridge the gap between the two technologies and in some ways even regressed in performance.

For some people, the extraordinarily small amount of motion blur of OLED screens can be a disadvantage. Lower framerate content such as movies may appear stuttery since the frames do not blend.

In essence, the quality of the motion on a TV is defined by its pixels' speed when switching from showing one thing to another. While in some cases this might not be preferred by some people, in sports, video games and broadcast TV the much faster response time of OLED TVs are a big advantage..
No it’s not that. Trust me when you see the issue it’s so juddery like it’s going at 10 FPS in slow motion. It’s not subtle when you know what to look for
I’m starting to think it’s a hardware issue and tempted to swap out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.