iPhone XS Max Video Stutters on iPhone XS Max

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Man on the moon, Sep 22, 2018.

1. snowatom macrumors member

snowatom

If you are right, how come it’s only video in 24fps that stutters, please check out this 1080p60fps HDR video. Please open in Youtube app to see it in 60fps HDR.

Here you will see no stutter, and video recording in 1080p60fps on you iPhone also is perfect. This is sadly the downside of OLED. The only fix would be Apple implementing some kind of trumotion like on LG tv’s

2. sddabrow macrumors 6502

Are there any free videos to try this out on my phone? Want to see if the stuttering occurs where others have reported it...

3. snowatom macrumors member

snowatom

If you haven’t seen it already using you iPhone, you are among the people who don´t notice this. Some are more perceptive to frame stutter, some don’t notice it. Lucky you..

4. sddabrow macrumors 6502

Have only had the phone for 2 hours and only watched 1 4K HDR YouTube video... Looking for other sources to see if I do notice it.

5. mfrank29 macrumors newbie

I have seen this with HDR titles in the TV app. Vudu, my movies anywhere sometimes. Youtube is fine. If I force quit the app or just wait for a it to buffer a bit, the issue goes away.

I do not think this is a hardware issue. Seems like a issue with either the TV app or HDR processing.

Seems like a lowered frame rate or skipped frames maybe due to buffering

6. snowatom macrumors member

snowatom

7. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

No issues for me streaming from iTunes on the Max. I'd imagine that's a connection issue, potentially on Apple's end. Expect a 12.0.1 update to fix.

8. mfrank29 macrumors newbie

As far as stuttering in the TV app, I would suspect either their end or a decoding issue. I see this with wifi throughput around 150mbps.. Since I do see this in My Movies Everywhere, but never youtube....not really sure where this issue lies, but I do not think it is hardware.

9. UKapple73 macrumors regular

That doesn’t prove anything, only that 60fps is ok, but some say the X doesn’t have the issue with 24fps so it can’t be an OLED issue

10. mfrank29 macrumors newbie

The fact that I can force it to be ok by quoting the app or fast forwarding shows it can work properly....so I think it can be fixed.

11. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

No it’s not an OLED issue. My iPhone X doesn’t do this, ever. But I can replicate it with 100% consistency in my iPhone XS. Gonna return the XS next week if there’s no fix.

12. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Makes sense, appreciate the insight.

13. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I’ve seen this on multiple XS phones. Don’t think it’s hardware, probably a software decoding issue.

14. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

I assume your phones don't feel hot? I suspect not since if properly encoded then it would use minimal CPU and therefore would keep the phone cool.

But yeah, software encoding glitches can cause this behaviour with certain hardware decoders. The hardware decoder in the iPhone is different than the hardware decoder in the iMac for example, so it's possible that certain scenarios of XS/Max compatibility fell through the cracks for the encoder or decoder implementation.

Also, OLED motion judder can be quite eye-catching, but it sounds like what people are describing is not OLED motion judder.

15. Ritte macrumors regular

There definitly is a problem with the Max, I shot a video to demonstrate the difference between ipad pro and the Max. The Max died while playing the video. Second time this happens. Watch th video:

https://streamable.com/kbtuz

Then i finally after reboot I got a proper video. See how the Max stutter heavily compared to Ipad Pro:

https://streamable.com/xxkjf

Media: SDR 1080p Hidden Figures 28.5Mbps 24fps

Even my iphone SE plays ths movie with no stutter.

16. UKapple73 macrumors regular

It’s best described as a kind of slowdown, where the FPS goes down for a few seconds then recovers like a video game does

17. vg400 macrumors newbie

I'm having this issue on my XS Max and it's very noticeable when playing video side by side with my iPhone X. The best way to describe it is the frame rate drops very low on most video play back whether downloaded or streaming. I've noticed it on Amazon Prime, YouTube, and Netflix. Using Bluetooth headphones doesn't seem to make any difference. Very annoying.

18. Sputnik77 macrumors newbie

Sputnik77

Unfortunately the Xs Max is plagued with problems, either hardware or software. Video playback, cellular reception, battery charging/performance, and others. IMO, not acceptable for a phone that costs so much.

19. UKapple73 macrumors regular

Try disabling auto brightness. This made a big difference for me

20. vg400 macrumors newbie

Switched off auto brightness but I still get the frame drops.

21. Sinonson81 macrumors member

Sinonson81

Can’t believe a 2000 dollar phone has this many problems well 1449 plus tax bring it to 1600 200 for apple care plus tax is 1823.00 then a screen protector and case add 65 so all in all about 2 grand and have this many issues mine has same issues if apple don’t fix soon there Hanna have to have a major recall on there hands and then maybe they will get there act together jobs wouldn’t never release a product without it being almost perfect like the whole white iPhone 4’s was delayed for mos because the color of white was not perfect. Now they just release anything fast as they can to get profits they are really lacking in caring for its customers if paid 2grand for this phone if everything was perfect from day one so far I’m thinking returning and sadly getting my 8 plus back sucks since I already have it to my daughter I guess I’ll have to get a new one trade a xsmax for a 8 plus what a shame apple charging issue video playback severe judder charging problems selfie cam looks like crap not getting notifications on new email traffic on maps not working correctly WiFi and cellular coverage is horrid like half that of the 8 plus also if u hold the phone in left hand u can make the signal or internet speed drop by half just by holding it in left hand I guess I’m holding it wrong and don’t get me started on the battery problems and screen True Tone and and screen brightness all over the place. Apple what’s the deal

22. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

If there's no 24fps hardware decoding where it resorts to software decoding or a software bug that doesn't take advantage of hardware decoding then there will be stutter. Pray it's a software bug.

23. Sinonson81 macrumors member

Sinonson81

If it’s not I’ll keep exchanging and every one else need to as well after 3 exchanges the no lemon law applies and they have to give u a full refund or a better model since there is no better model except maybe the 8 plus because so far videos on the 8 plus look 100x better than this crap

24. addict3d macrumors newbie

I found this thread because I have the same issue and I hoped someone else noticed it as well .
    I have both the iPhone x and the iPhone xs max and the max stutter hardcore on some YouTube videos . It Happened so many times so I did some tests playing the movie on the iPhone x at the same time on the max side by side and it clearly shows the issue is only with the max.

25. legareal macrumors newbie

legareal

I'm not sure this is just a video decoding issue, I'm developing apps and noticing on iPhone XS they are stuttering and dropping frames (something they don't even do on iPhone 5S). This combined with the complaints of stuttering homescreen and scrolling in other threads tells me there is an overall issue with how the XS handles its display / refresh.