Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sinonson81

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
I'm not sure this is just a video decoding issue, I'm developing apps and noticing on iPhone XS they are stuttering and dropping frames (something they don't even do on iPhone 5S). This combined with the complaints of stuttering homescreen and scrolling in other threads tells me there is an overall issue with how the XS handles its display / refresh.
So in your opinion I tho k it’s a software or hardware issue I thought I remember this same thing when the iPhone 6 and 6 plus first came out frame rate problems from the new screen sizes ect.

vg400

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2014
I exchanged my XS Max for a replacement device today at the Apple Store. The new device stutters on Netflix as well pretty much the same as the last device. Very disappointing.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I exchanged my XS Max for a replacement device today at the Apple Store. The new device stutters on Netflix as well pretty much the same as the last device. Very disappointing.

Why would you waste the time exchanging device? This is almost certainly a software issue, and even if it’s not - all devices are affected so exchanges are pointless.

Hopefully your exchange was for different reasons...

vg400

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2014
Why would you waste the time exchanging device? This is almost certainly a software issue, and even if it’s not - all devices are affected so exchanges are pointless.

Hopefully your exchange was for different reasons...

Two reasons for the exchange. First, I could confirm that this issue wasn’t related to a problem with my specific phone. You say all devices are affected, but others on this thread have posted that they don’t have this issue.

Second, more importantly, I was able to extend my return window by 14 days from yesterday. If a software fix doesn’t come soon I’m returning this phone.

Reactions: madKIR

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
Yes same problem beta 3 makes it even worse on some videos
[doublepost=1539151143][/doublepost]
Question is has any one here also have had the top speaker not work and u have to restart device to get it to work again

Can confirm the front speaker issue. Can make phone calls fine but randomly stops working when streaming music or playing videos. Seems like a software issue to me. Hopefully will be fixed in iOS 12.1

addict3d

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2018
The video stuttering and issues with the LTE connectivity really ruining the experience of this 1200$ phone. I went back to the iPhone X and put the XS Max in the drawer until the next update - if it won't be fixed by then I'll just sell it or something.

LitoG.

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2018
I have noticed stuttering on videos and wanted to see if this was just my phone or known issue.

Watched Wonder woman and noticed stuttering at times in movie and i also tried Avengers IW and same thing.

It's a noticeable stutter, anyone else encounter this?
I most definitely have a problem with this also on my xs max! Made an appointment at my local Apple store and they ran a diagnostic. Nothing wrong internally. I was told it was most likely a bug within ios12 and not to worry that it should be resolved within the next new updates. I hope.

addict3d

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2018
The video stuttering and issues with the LTE connectivity really ruining the experience of this 1200$ phone. I went back to the iPhone X and put the XS Max in the drawer until the next update - if it won't be fixed by then I'll just sell it or something.

I sold my silver iPhone XS Max that had all these issues (Video stutter + wifi drops/ LTE issues when 2 SIMS are connected at the the same time), And Right after selling I bought a new gold one, also from Hong Kong with 2 physical SIMs. Exactly same phone, only this time everything works perfect.

No stutter, good reception, super fast phone with no lag.

I would recommend others to do the same without waiting for Apple to release fixes as it can already work now.

Hope this helps someone,
Good luck

Sinonson81

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
I sold my silver iPhone XS Max that had all these issues (Video stutter + wifi drops/ LTE issues when 2 SIMS are connected at the the same time), And Right after selling I bought a new gold one, also from Hong Kong with 2 physical SIMs. Exactly same phone, only this time everything works perfect.

No stutter, good reception, super fast phone with no lag.

I would recommend others to do the same without waiting for Apple to release fixes as it can already work now.

Hope this helps someone,
Good luck
I’ve had the dual sim since day 1 from China and same issue I don’t have the WiFi or lte issue but do the video judder it came back after about 24 hours I thought at first it was fixed it wasn’t it came back.

EnVyCaLiBeR

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
I haven’t noticed it, but what I have noticed is that when I watch YouTube specifially on my XS Max, I won’t even be touching my screen, but the screen dims and controls come up for next video and and previous like I touched the screen and it’s pretty annoying because it does quite often while watching any video. Anybody else experienced this?

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
I haven’t noticed it, but what I have noticed is that when I watch YouTube specifially on my XS Max, I won’t even be touching my screen, but the screen dims and controls come up for next video and and previous like I touched the screen and it’s pretty annoying because it does quite often while watching any video. Anybody else experienced this?
I sure am. Same problem. Not sure what causes this random pop up of the controls. Xs Max.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Experiencing video judder on both iPhone XS and iPhone XR here.
On an Xr, too? I watched a 4K HDR movie The Martian from iTunes on the Xr side by side with my husband’s Max and his stutters when scenes pan or there’s a lot of motion. Xr doesn’t. But that was only one try. The stuttering was really mild so it didn’t bother my husband, who is not going to watch movies on his Max anyway. (I’m the nut who watches movies on iPhones). Anyway I was just surprised this was happening on the LCD as well.

legareal

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016

Funnily enough this is an issue I've experienced on and off with my last few iPhones (7 & X) so I'm not sure its isolated to just the XS.

On an Xr, too? I watched a 4K HDR movie The Martian from iTunes on the Xr side by side with my husband’s Max and his stutters when scenes pan or there’s a lot of motion. Xr doesn’t. But that was only one try. The stuttering was really mild so it didn’t bother my husband, who is not going to watch movies on his Max anyway. (I’m the nut who watches movies on iPhones). Anyway I was just surprised this was happening on the LCD as well.

Yes definitely, it doesn't happen as frequently on the XR as it does the XS but the issue is definitely still present on mine.

EnVyCaLiBeR

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Funnily enough this is an issue I've experienced on and off with my last few iPhones (7 & X) so I'm not sure its isolated to just the XS.
Ah ok. Didn’t know if it was an issue with the new phones or just the YouTube app, but it was the first thing I noticed coming from a Note 8. However, before the Note 8, I had an iPhone 7 Plus and don’t remember it being a problem. I don’t know. Just wanted to see if it was just me. lol

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Was watching Black Mirror on Netflix on the plane today. Awful performance on my XS Max. Can’t believe Apple hasn’t fixed this.

Reactions: madKIR

perphektxero

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2018
I have noticed stuttering on videos and wanted to see if this was just my phone or known issue.

Watched Wonder woman and noticed stuttering at times in movie and i also tried Avengers IW and same thing.

It's a noticeable stutter, anyone else encounter this?

I have replaced my first iPhone XS Max within 11 days due to this same issue. The newer one I got was doing the same thing. I have talked to apple twice now. The first time they stated it was not a known issue, I am on the phone with them right now. As I type this, the service agent is contacting the senior advisor on this issue since I have already swapped phones once.

CALL APPLE PLEASE. Coming into the forums does little if we do not contact apple regarding this issue. Right now, this is not a problem they have seen which tells me not enough people are letting apple know. It could be a small problem, but the few forums I have seen tells me this is not a unique problem. This problem has not been fixed because they are not aware it is a significant problem.

Reactions: ariesisnotpesky

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I most definitely have a problem with this also on my xs max! Made an appointment at my local Apple store and they ran a diagnostic. Nothing wrong internally. I was told it was most likely a bug within ios12 and not to worry that it should be resolved within the next new updates. I hope.
Yeah... thanks for ur 1200 bucks in good faith now go wait a month while we try and get things right!

It’s a bit bloody rude, isn’t it.

Reactions: Robertoxxxl

Rovigijsns

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019
I am having the same issue on my Xs Max. Downloaded and watched HDR copy of Lights Out from the iTunes Store and am getting stuttery playback. Also getting this from other video files on place on my device via iTunes.

Interestingly I was listening to music with my AirPods in just before and after went and payed a little more of the movie and there was absolutely no stutter and it was very smooth... very odd. From what I can gather it’s when the audio is coming through the phone speakers, but I can’t see how this can effect video playback.

Can anyone else with this issue test my theory and play a video while using headphones?
[doublepost=1549038091][/doublepost]
I am having the same issue on my Xs Max. Downloaded and watched HDR copy of Lights Out from the iTunes Store and am getting stuttery playback. Also getting this from other video files on place on my device via iTunes.

Interestingly I was listening to music with my AirPods in just before and after went and payed a little more of the movie and there was absolutely no stutter and it was very smooth... very odd. From what I can gather it’s when the audio is coming through the phone speakers, but I can’t see how this can effect video playback.

Can anyone else with this issue test my theory and play a video while using headphones?

I tried this and was kinda shocked, as soon as I put the audio through headphones or an external speaker the stuttering totally disappeared.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.