Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eastwoodandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2016
Nottingham, England
Hi,

I don't have an AW1 but I'm very interested in the AW2. However, I'm not sure which size to get. I don't live that close to an Apple Store, so I'm planning to go this weekend to try on an AW1 to see which bands and size I prefer.

Then once the AW2 is announced, I can order one without having to get a launch day appointment.

Does anyone have experience of trying on the AW in store? (I'm in the UK). Is there any kind of obligation to buy or can you just try it out?

Or failing that, does anyone know of any non-Apple stores where you can try out different sizes and bands?

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Apple Stores have one of the greatest customer experiences in the world. No obligation at all. I have tried them on for fun and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You can try on any model with almost every band from when I last visited. I'm confident you will know exactly what your looking for during your visit.

eastwoodandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2016
Nottingham, England
Thanks, that's reassuring. I've visited Apple Stores a few times and they've always been great, but it's usually for a repair. Did you book an appointment?

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
In the US, you can walk in to any Apple store and shop and try stuff on without an appointment. The only time they have had exceptions is with a major launch when they had more shoppers than capacity. But, that is not in play now. I have walked by (but not shopped in) a UK Apple Store, and they looked like they operate exactly like the US stores.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I am missing something, or how are we so sure we are seeing the AW2? Still no solid rumors about it.

Last edited:

eastwoodandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2016
Nottingham, England
I am missing something, or how are we so sure we are seeing the AW2? Still no solid rumors about it.

I think it's a pretty sure thing, we've seen numerous supply chain reports and two separate sources showing photos of the larger battery. Not sure how a rumour can be more solid than that. I can't see Apple announcing/release AW2 any later than September, if it turns out later, at least I know which size and bands I want.

In the US, you can walk in to any Apple store and shop and try stuff on without an appointment. The only time they have had exceptions is with a major launch when they had more shoppers than capacity. But, that is not in play now. I have walked by (but not shopped in) a UK Apple Store, and they looked like they operate exactly like the US stores.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Last edited:

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I think it's a pretty sure thing, we've seen numerous supply chain reports and two separate sources showing photos of the larger battery. Not sure how a rumour can be more solid than that. I can't see Apple announcing/release AW2 any later than September, if it turns out later, at least I know which size and bands I want.

Thanks, that's good to know.
What so appealing about the AW2 that you did not like about the AW2? GPS? Honestly that is the biggest rumor they have.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Yep say that. Again the only big change is GPS, which will run that bigger battery down fast. It looks like it will be the same size, so if someone did not like the first one what is so great about the 2nd? If it's the OS that is going to work on the first one. I get the people that decide to buy a smartwatch after the new one has been announced going with the newest watch, but holding out on the first because you did not like. There is nothing here that greatly changed that.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002

There's the fact that supply is extremely low to non-existent at several Apple Stores, Best Buy, etc.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
There's the fact that supply is extremely low to non-existent at several Apple Stores, Best Buy, etc.
That does not prove much. It's not like they are going to stop selling the first one. Every other Apple product the older version still gets sold at s discounted price. Stock does not mean anything.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
That does not prove much. It's not like they are going to stop selling the first one. Every other Apple product the older version still gets sold at s discounted price. Stock does not mean anything.
Prove no but highly indicate yes. Also the strongest rumors are that Apple will update the current :apple:Watch with the S2 chip (and improved water rating) and sell at a lower price point. That would perfectly explain the lack of current stock.

MacRumors said:
...The analyst also predicted that upgraded first-generation Apple Watch models will debut in the second half of 2016 with similar processor and waterproofing upgrades, but likely without the Apple Watch 2's most significant additions like a GPS and barometer. Kuo expects another Apple Watch price cut once the new models are launched, but remains conservative about prospective shipments in 2017....

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/08/07/apple-watch-2-upgraded-first-gen-models-kuo/

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Prove no but highly indicate yes. Also the strongest rumors are that Apple will update the current :apple:Watch with the S2 chip (and improved water rating) and sell at a lower price point. That would perfectly explain the lack of current stock.

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/08/07/apple-watch-2-upgraded-first-gen-models-kuo/
That makes a bit more sense, but does not sound like Apple at all. When has Apple changed a chip or anything about an older model and sold it cheaper?

eastwoodandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2016
Nottingham, England
Yep say that. Again the only big change is GPS, which will run that bigger battery down fast. It looks like it will be the same size, so if someone did not like the first one what is so great about the 2nd? If it's the OS that is going to work on the first one. I get the people that decide to buy a smartwatch after the new one has been announced going with the newest watch, but holding out on the first because you did not like. There is nothing here that greatly changed that.

Main reasons to not buy AW1:

- No GPS
- Slow OS
- No native apps
- Battery life
- No money

I have the money now, which I didn't have before. The other reasons will be negated by the new OS and/or the new watch. You could argue the new OS would be enough, but it seems pointless buying 18 month old internals when the new one is available.

18 months is a long time in tech. Just GPS and battery would be enough for me, you can bet the processor will be improved too. Anything else is just a bonus.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Main reasons to not buy AW1:

- No GPS
- Slow OS
- No native apps
- Battery life
- No money

I have the money now, which I didn't have before. The other reasons will be negated by the new OS and/or the new watch. You could argue the new OS would be enough, but it seems pointless buying 18 month old internals when the new one is available.

18 months is a long time in tech. Just GPS and battery would be enough for me, you can bet the processor will be improved too. Anything else is just a bonus.
I get buying the new one if its out, but for those holding out for the next Watch it makes no sense. GPS may keep the bigger battery at the same longevity as the current one. Again I get getting the new one if its out, but I see no reason it updating. From the betas I hear the current watch does great on WatchOS 3.

Reactions: AppleRobert

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I guess but it was a new product in Apple's eyes. They even called it something else. Who knows.
Apple may call the :apple:Watch 1.5 an S, E or something to differentiate it from the original. It could be that it is actually cheeper for Apple to just maintain one :apple:Watch S-chip line (S2) than producing 2 S-chips. So it could be a win (customer) / win (Apple) situation.

eastwoodandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2016
Nottingham, England
I get buying the new one if its out, but for those holding out for the next Watch it makes no sense. GPS may keep the bigger battery at the same longevity as the current one. Again I get getting the new one if its out, but I see no reason it updating. From the betas I hear the current watch does great on WatchOS 3.

I know what you mean.

I'm hoping GPS is implemented in a clever way. If my phone is in range, AW should use that first. Like the phone, I should be able to pick which apps/features have access to GPS. I see no reason for it to use much more battery for me, outside of cycling/running.

NauCayuti

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2014
GPS may keep the bigger battery at the same longevity as the current one.

Not if you don't use the GPS for workouts or similar apps, in which case you'd most likely see a significant gain in battery life.

From the betas I hear the current watch does great on WatchOS 3.

I heard that while watchOS 3 does improve overall responsiveness, there is still a certain amount of sluggishness that could be alleviated with a faster processor.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I guess but it was a new product in Apple's eyes. They even called it something else. Who knows.

Well, it was nothing more than a cheaper, plasticky version of the iPhone 5.

They even gave the iPhone SE a new name, but it was basically an updated version of the iPhone 5s. So that's another example of giving an older model a new chip, etc.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
Hi,

I don't have an AW1 but I'm very interested in the AW2. However, I'm not sure which size to get. I don't live that close to an Apple Store, so I'm planning to go this weekend to try on an AW1 to see which bands and size I prefer.

Then once the AW2 is announced, I can order one without having to get a launch day appointment.

Does anyone have experience of trying on the AW in store? (I'm in the UK). Is there any kind of obligation to buy or can you just try it out?

Or failing that, does anyone know of any non-Apple stores where you can try out different sizes and bands?

Any Apple Store will let you try on and play with the apple watches. I don't think there are many third parties that would have as good an experience as the Apple Store.

Personally I found both sizes to be usable but preferred the 38mm as it looks sleeker and more minimalist.

Just don't do what my dad did. He dropped an SS Apple Watch in store and it smashed on the ground! Lucky they didn't make him pay for it.

eastwoodandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2016
Nottingham, England
Any Apple Store will let you try on and play with the apple watches. I don't think there are many third parties that would have as good an experience as the Apple Store.

Personally I found both sizes to be usable but preferred the 38mm as it looks sleeker and more minimalist.

Just don't do what my dad did. He dropped an SS Apple Watch in store and it smashed on the ground! Lucky they didn't make him pay for it.

At least he didn't drop an Edition!

Reactions: username:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.