Visiting USA

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by garybUK, Sep 16, 2011.

1. garybUK Guest

garybUK

So I am quite well travelled in some parts of the USA, I have been to:

NJ, PA (Hershey Land + Philly), NY State & Manhattan, MA (Boston) + Cape Cod, CT & Tennessee (For Work).

I definitely preffered TN from any of the northern states I had visited (maybe except CT, a gorgeous costal town with some of the best seafood ever!). I loved Knoxville, Smoky Moutains, Gatlinburg and the feel of a bit more southern hospitality.

I am planning on going back for a personal holiday next year.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to visit in the South/Mid West I am thinking Louisianna, Tennessee (More), Alabama, Arkansas, Texas maybe head west to Wyoming, Colorado ??

Would a British Person on his own be welcomed there?

2. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

If you like nature, you definitely should head west. Grand Teton and Yellowstone NP are absolutely amazing (as are all US National Parks, and many State Parks as well).

3. MacHamster68, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

Been there ..Louisiana, Alabama ,Mississippi,Georgia, South Carolina ,Florida on a biking holiday ,the locals are all very welcoming and friendly , you need to visit cajun country south of new orleans just head south, you will know when you are there , they are the most friendly people i ever met in the United States of America ..ok you better get a french accent .. they still dont like the British , because of what happend in the 17hundredsomething , the Cajuns had been evicted form canada by the british and the ones who survived had been forced to live down there in the swamps ..they never forgot that

but they are truely friendly and not only polite if you know what i mean and if you get invited by a family you will be surprised as well too, to meet 4 generations is normal there in a "small family"

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Of course, why not?
    In fact, a lot of Americans like British people.

5. garybUK thread starter Guest

garybUK

Yeah, pretty dumb questions actually...

another question, whats the best way to travel around?`
    get a hire car or buy a really cheap used car and do it that way?

6. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

buy a car its cheaper if you buy wisely means a car with resale value ..or a motorcycle doesn't matter , i bought a motorcycle and after the 3 month holiday i sold it again and made $500 profit...ok at the end of my trip was the daytona bike week ideal if you want to sell a bike

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Buying a cheap used car for a US holiday doesn't always go too well. :D

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Actually, I don't blame you for asking because I'd probably ask something similar if I was going to France or something. Maybe. :D
    Like I said, I think most Americans love British people. In general, people from the states you mentioned are nice and helpful too.

9. garybUK thread starter Guest

garybUK

Well i ^might^lay off the 'hillary for president' paintwork lol :p

----------

Well France is a bit different :p no offence to the lovely French people in here, but they sense weakness when you try to speak French and they refuse to speak English..... grrrrr.....

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you liked the Smokies and southern hospitality, look into Asheville, N.C. As for Louisiana, visit New Orleans before it sinks. For something different, head to Sedona, AZ and drive up to the Grand Canyon.

Rental is probably the way to go. Between purchase, registration, insurance, and the hassle if something were to go wrong with the car, unless you are here for quite a bit of time, it's not worth it. And remember, many of out states are bigger than European countries. It takes time to drive from place to place. You might think about flying between distant vacation "hubs" and driving to locales around there.

And we love the British...they taste like chicken.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

In my youth I lived in Tennessee for a few years, and yes, the hospitality there (and throughout most of the southern U.S.) is wonderful. Glad you enjoyed your stay. :)

Texas is an enormous place, with hill country, woods, desert, mountains, coast, etc. - but it can be VERY spread out. If you're interested, there's a great deal of Mexican culture (including food and beverage!) to be taken in in San Antonio, NASA in Houston is a great visit, Fort Worth has the Stockyards - the possibilities are endless.

If you liked the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee, you'll LOVE the Rocky Mountains in Colorado and Wyoming. Very picturesque, there's some beautiful country out there if that's your thing.

Oh, if you go to Louisiana, stop by New Orleans and have some seafood gumbo and listen to some jazz. You won't be sorry. :D

Absolutely!! At our core, we Americans are a bunch of show-offs, and we'll fall all over ourselves trying to impress out-of-towners, especially foreign visitors.

12. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Agreed :). If heading south the Cajun country is definitely a nice place to go visit. Louisiana would be a nice pick. Personally, I'd head out west towards the national parks. Planning a trip to Colorado soon so I'm anxious to go check that area out :D

13. snberk103 macrumors 603

Hey don't forget the best part of the continent! Canada! And those Texans, nice as they are, don't know "spread out" and big. (But don't tell them, we don't want to be impolite....) British Columbia is nearly 20% bigger, with less than 1/5th the population. BC has more coast line than Australia. Heck, BC has more coastline than the USA.....

Keep us in mind for when you have had enough of people, and want to get away from it all. Have a great trip, and do make sure to get New Orleans....

14. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Agreed! I went to Yellowstone this summer and it was an amazing experience. Would definitely recommend it. We flew into SLC, drove to Yellowstone, then on into prarie-land, which was quite an adventure.

The thing with Yellowstone is that summer comes really late, so beware parts of the park being closed to spring bear activity. Conversely, if you're there during peak season, order well in advance unless you're game for sleeping in a tent because it fills up *fast.*

15. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

What time of year you visit has a major impact on most places I'd recommend as well as what you'd be looking to do. Sightseeing? Shopping? Relaxing? Adventure? It makes a big difference. Different cities really shine in the proper context.

Since you asked, right now, I'm not a big fan of Brits because they're kicking my butt in the MR Fantasy Football league and teasing me because I've never heard of Subbuteo. But most days, you Brits are alright. :p

16. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Go to Chicago, take an Amtrak train to New Orleans... Stop in Memphis.

17. Educ8r macrumors 6502a

Educ8r

Grew up in Arkansas in a small rural town, have been in Houston, Texas (4th largest city in the US) for 15 years! I recommend visiting both. I really enjoy Austin, TX too.

18. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Gatlinburg is amazing.

As far as your next trip, the only thing I can say is it would be a crime if you don't visit Florida some time. I would go to Orlando (Universal Orlando Resort) and places in south Florida like Islamorada (the Keys), etc.

Off the coast of Islamorada:

http://static0.travelandleisure.com/images/amexpub/0010/7667/201001-dream-trips-islamorada.jpg

19. 184550 Guest

Acting out (a part) 'The Ballad of Michael Valentine'? :p

Another vote for North Carolina here. Asheville is beautiful; Biltmore House and the winery assures a good time. You may want to research the Outer Banks if you're a beach person, they're beautiful as well.

20. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

21. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I vote for new Orleans. And make sure you eat plenty of heart stopping fried food while you're there! And yes, Americans love foreign visitors, as long as you don't forget to tip in restaurants because I know that's not customary in the uk like it is here. And British accents amuse the hell out of us, you guys can tell a dirty joke and still sound like Shakespeare, and we love that about you :D

22. garybUK thread starter Guest

garybUK

Wow some great suggestions there, I am thinking this as a route:

Charlotte NC,
    Asheville Nc,
    Morisstown TN (to see my old friends),
    Knoxville TN,
    Memphis TN,
    Jackson MS,
    Baton Rouge, LA
    New Orleans LA,
    Shreveport, LA,
    Houston TX,
    Dallas TX,

then up to Colorado and Wyoming.

I am a very outdoors type person love the idea of staying 'off the beaten track'
    I do a lot of wild camping in Scotland etc.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Mmmmmm, have you seen Deliverance?? :eek: ;)

24. garybUK thread starter Guest

garybUK

hahah indeed, though I'm sure it happens anywhere i think the south USA has a bit of a bad rep because of film / ignorance.

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

with that route, especially if you're going in the summer, I hope you like hot and humid weather