Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

VMware today is announcing Fusion 12, the next major update to Fusion, its virtualization software that allows users to run a variety of operating systems on virtual machines within macOS.

vmware_fusion_12_pro_player.jpg

Fusion 12 brings several new updates and improvements, including eGPU compatibility, support for container-based applications built with Kubernetes, DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4.1 support, improved security for the sandbox rendering engine, improved accessibility controls, and more.

VMware has also prepared Fusion 12 for the upcoming launch of macOS Big Sur, which will continue Apple's transition toward ending support for kernel extensions. VMware says that Fusion 12 will continue to run with kernel extensions on macOS Catalina, but will also support macOS Big Sur by using Apple's APIs to run its virtual machines and containers.

Finally, with this new version of Fusion, VMware is also shaking up its pricing with a new Fusion 12 Player licensing structure that is free for personal use. Fusion 12 Player users who want to use the software for commercial use will be able to purchase a license for $149, with an upgrade license available for $89 to those currently running Fusion 10 or 11.

A professional-level Fusion 12 Pro offers some additional power-user features and allows you to run on up to three devices (including Windows or Linux PCs running VMware's Workstation Pro), with pricing set at $199 for a new license or $99 as an upgrade. Discounted educational pricing will also be available for Fusion 12, although many students will also be able to take advantage of the free personal use license.

Users who purchased Fusion 11.5 or Fusion 11.5 Pro after June 15 will be eligible for a free upgrade to Fusion 12 Player (commercial license) or Fusion 12 Pro.

VMware hasn't yet announced a specific launch date for Fusion 12 Player and Fusion 12 Pro, other than a general timeframe of later this fiscal quarter, which runs through October for VMware. They will be available through VMware's online store and other outlets.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with VMware. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: VMware Fusion 12 Announced With Support for macOS Big Sur, eGPUs, and More

Last edited:

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
But still I don't understand whether Windows will be supported/emulated when you run BigSur on ARM. Or will this work only with Intel+BigSur?
You can't virtualize x86 on ARM. Period. If Fusion is going to continue to be compatible with the x86 version of windows it will require some form of emulation/binary translation to do so.

That said...
Finally, with this new version of Fusion, VMware is also shaking up its pricing with a new Fusion 12 Player licensing structure that is free for personal use. Fusion 12 Player users who want to use the software for commercial use will be able to purchase a license for $149, with an upgrade license available for $89 to those currently running Fusion 10 or 11.
I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is actually right here. They're making it free for non professional use because the number of people who are going to be using this is a non professional capacity is likely to decrease markedly in the coming years since it won't support (x86) Windows.

Janichsan

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2006
But still I don't understand whether Windows will be supported/emulated when you run BigSur on ARM. Or will this work only with Intel+BigSur?
Straight from the horse's mouth:
What Can't Be Translated?
Rosetta can translate most Intel-based apps, including apps that contain just-in-time (JIT) compilers. However, Rosetta doesn’t translate the following executables:

• Kernel extensions
  • Virtual Machine apps that virtualize x86_64 computer platforms

Last edited:
Reactions: lostczech

leman

macrumors P6
Oct 14, 2008
Is there a link to the official announcement? Maybe I am dumb, but I can't seem to find anything on VMWare's site...

MrGimper

macrumors 604
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Nice, look forward to seeing how it compared to the Tech Preview.

And people really need to learn the difference between virtualisation and emulation :cool:

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Can you virtualize a newer Mac OS operating systems on a legacy Mac that doesn’t support it anymore?

dewalt

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
If Fusion were anywhere near as good as Parallels (primarily running Office apps in coherence mode). Parallels simply did much more with less assigned resources.

the writer

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2019
My humble opinion is that Microsoft will spend some dollars and improve Windows on ARM to make it a viable option. Then there's no reason you won't be able to Boot Camp in to Windows on ARM or run a Windows VM. Yes, it won't be an X86 version of Windows, it will be the ARM version of Windows and all the reasons you Boot Camp or VM in to Windows will still apply for you or they won't. And of course it will require a different, ARM-based, version of Fusion. As a Senior Business Architect, I need a functioning Windows platform and it's nice to have one in a VM so I don't have to reboot.

The real question for me is if Microsoft will port its business applications like MS Project and MS Visio to run on the ARM version of Windows. Yes, there are MacOS alternatives, some much better than Microsoft's offerings, but that's not the point when working with large corporate clients.

I do see a problem for gamers. But Apple computers were never really gaming machines. As with all software, it's going to depend on whether or not the software creators of gaming or business apps create ARM ports of their products. For me that's a wait and see game.

Given that I intend to keep using my existing Intel-based mac for at least another year or two, and that I will upgrade to BigSur, I will upgrade to VM Ware Fusion Pro 12. For me it's a no-brainer. I need to keep things running smoothly.

I'm sure that for many others here there needs and wants are different from mine. I'm just sharing my thoughts and what it means for me. Just my $0.02.

Jwpyle3

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2019
Lutz, FL USA
I think they will be able to do it by creating an x86 emulator of sorts where the vm runs entirely on a virtual x86 processor. The biggest issue will be speed, since it won't be running on a native x86 processor, it will be slower. By how much, I don't know.

revanmj

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
Poland
Yes, but that doesn't preclude anyone from making, say, a Windows on ARM VM using Hypervisor.framework, then running x86-32 apps inside that.
Well, as of now Microsoft does not officially provide any way to install Windows on ARM yourself (it can only be preinstalled on machines by OEMs), so VMware likely won't be the one to provide Windows on ARM virtualization on Mac. If anyone, some opensource project like VirtualBox could do it.

MrDerby01

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
Very much excited to see this take off. Will definitely open all types of new channels of competition for hardware. It's time we step away from x86 and into a future of going back to 128bit processing that the G5 offered. I get it.. Old hardware but the gains will be well worth it later.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
That external graphics card support is terrific. Downloading later today to try it out.

I wonder how they pulled it off.

ducknalddon

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2018
My humble opinion is that Microsoft will spend some dollars and improve Windows on ARM to make it a viable option. Then there's no reason you won't be able to Boot Camp in to Windows on ARM or run a Windows VM. Yes, it won't be an X86 version of Windows, it will be the ARM version of Windows and all the reasons you Boot Camp or VM in to Windows will still apply for you or they won't. And of course it will require a different, ARM-based, version of Fusion. As a Senior Business Architect, I need a functioning Windows platform and it's nice to have one in a VM so I don't have to reboot.

Apple have already said Apple Silicon devices won't support Bootcamp.

My guess is Microsoft will try and get people to switch to Windows in the cloud. You will be able to rent a VM, possibly with some client software on your Mac.

Reactions: rbgaynor

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008

There are lots of sarcastic and rude replies to this but I think the question is totally valid.

It is reasonable to expect VMWare and Parallels might release emulated versions of their software to allow Apple Silicon Macs to run x86 windows. I, for one, am hopefully they will so looking out for indications of this in announcements is totally legit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.