Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

224202-More Power - 8 Virtual Cores_500.png

New in 3.1: Support up to 8-cores (up from 4)

VMWare has just launched the latest update to their popular virtualization program for the Mac. VMWare Fusion allows users to run Windows applications alongside Mac OS X applications on their Intel Macs. Version 3.1 represents a major update with a focus on performance. According to VMWare, the new version is 35% faster overall than the previous 3.0 release with 3D graphics seeing up to 5X speed boosts.
Take advantage of faster than ever end-to-end performance and improved 3D graphics. Greatly improved Windows Aero performance and OpenGL 2.1 support for Windows Vista and Windows 7 delivers up to 5X better 3D graphics performance. Experience faster application launching, more seamless scrolling, quicker resume from suspend, and better overall disk performance. Additional improvements to make your experience more simple and “Mac-like” include support for overlapping Unity windows in Exposé and Dock Exposé, as well as the new “USB EasyConnect” feature to easily assign USB devices to your PC or Mac.
A full list of new features can be found VMWare's site. The 3.1 update is free for existing 3.0 customers. Customers with an earlier version of VMWare Fusion can upgrade for $39.99 while the price for brand new customers is $79.99. A free demo is also available.

Article Link: VMWare Releases 3.1 Fusion Update - 35% Faster App Performance, 5X Faster 3D Graphics

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Based on the picture I would assume that assigning more virtual cores is something new in VMWare fusion. Just like to point out that Parallels has had this for a while. In fact I have two Win7 parallels machines running right now with 3D graphics and its amazingly fast for virtualization.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Based on the picture I would assume that assigning more virtual cores is something new in VMWare fusion. Just like to point out that Parallels has had this for a while. In fact I have two Win7 parallels machines running right now with 3D graphics and its amazingly fast for virtualization.

It's 8, up from 4 in Fusion 3.0. Looks like Parallels can do 8 as of their 4.0.

arn

Comment

icrew

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2003
Really hope this helps me successfully import my parallels VM. Have been trying (with the help of VMWare tech support) for over a week now. Sigh!

Comment

David Ormesher

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
I really hope it's faster… I was just complaining today that it was just hogging every resource my machine had, 2.66 MBP 4GB/Ram. I have very menial tasks for VM Ware and my experience with the older version of parallels was MUCH better than VM Ware.

Comment

gonzaload1987

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Which one to choose???

Looks like VMWare has improve it such much, but im using right now parallels 5.0.93 and it's blazing fast and user friendly. Which one is better? :confused:

Comment

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'll be downloading it right away. I was already though very pleased running Win 7 and MS Office 2007/2010 through VMware 3. Even in unity mode (given enough RAM) it is pretty much like running a dedicated Win box.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
Running much much faster for me, but I suspect that's because my previous installation was screwed up.

Comment

nick1516

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
So how is gaming performance compared to bootcamp? Is it still something to avoid?

Comment

bobm

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
sticking with Parallels

I've used both Parallels and VMware and just recently switched back to Parallels due to the following:

a: it seems to use less memory
b: it's faster than the vmware I had

and the biggest reason:

c: I can take the image from my macbook pro to my imac and windows doesn't require me to re-input the serial number, Office also required me to input the serial when moving the VM.

My workflow is to use the vm on my iMac when at home and then on the macbook when on the road.

Parallels works great for this.

Comment

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
I really hope it's faster… I was just complaining today that it was just hogging every resource my machine had, 2.66 MBP 4GB/Ram. I have very menial tasks for VM Ware and my experience with the older version of parallels was MUCH better than VM Ware.

So far, VMWare is the only app I've found that could slow my MacPro down during multi-tasking. That is until I installed 16GB of ram. Now the VM gets 4GB, and two processor cores and the Mac is still happily chugging along, virtually unawares of the evil lurking in its memory.

Comment

NeshyD

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I just updated to 3.1 on my MacBook (2.4 Ghz Black, 4GB RAM). No issues so far. I had to manually update the VMWare drivers in Ubuntu 10.04, but in Windows 7 x64 (Boot Camp partition), the drivers/tools were updated automatically and the performance is much better than before.

I was having some Windows licensing issues in 3.0, they seem to be fixed now in 3.1.

Comment

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
I'll be downloading it right away. I was already though very pleased running Win 7 and MS Office 2007/2010 through VMware 3. Even in unity mode (given enough RAM) it is pretty much like running a dedicated Win box.

That's funny, because for both my girlfriend and I it takes 5 minutes to boot, and then it runs so slowly it is basically unusable.

I'm starting to think that anyone who says it's fast is just a shill for VMware.

Comment

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
I just updated to 3.1 on my MacBook (2.4 Ghz Black, 4GB RAM). No issues so far. I had to manually update the VMWare drivers in Ubuntu 10.04, but in Windows 7 x64 (Boot Camp partition), the drivers/tools were updated automatically and the performance is much better than before.

I was having some Windows licensing issues in 3.0, they seem to be fixed now in 3.1.

Is that where every time you reboot it wants you to re-enter your CD key?

I spent an hour on the phone with microsoft trying to re-enter my CD key, finally we got it working, and then when I re-booted it wanted me to enter it again.

Comment

tranceme

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
California, US
That's funny, because for both my girlfriend and I it takes 5 minutes to boot, and then it runs so slowly it is basically unusable.

I'm starting to think that anyone who says it's fast is just a shill for VMware.

Works for me...I must be a shill. But, a happy one.

Comment

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Late 08' MBP impressions w/ Team Fortress 2 as a test:

It's indeed a big performance upgrade (playable, even - and that's a first!), but it's still not a very enjoyable experience. Something's really iffy with the mouse tracking in games, even when you configure it to optimize for games. Jumpy, laggy, shaky, unstable. The framerate's still pretty bad even on Low settings.

Bottom line:
It's still not going to replace Boot camp for games anytime soon.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California

I've used vmware since the first version. It was fast for awhile, but the last couple versions had been horribly slow for me (like you said - 5 minutes to boot, then nearly unusable).

Installing today's update makes it run very fast again. Boots xp in around a minute (and that's with me having a lot of junk that runs at start-up). Very useable once it comes up.

Comment

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
I'm pretty happy with VirtualBox running an XP VM in 512 MB of RAM. But more competition is always good. And I think I am I/O bound anyway. So I'd likely do better by buying an SSD or one of those new hybrid Momentus XTs.

Comment

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

Well I'm no VMware shill, but on my 2008 MacPro it runs like lightening. Faster than any other Windows PCs that I have at the office or for other family members. Of course I'm running a SSD, but it was already very fast before I upgraded the drive.

Comment

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I've used vmware since the first version. It was fast for awhile, but the last couple versions had been horribly slow for me (like you said - 5 minutes to boot, then nearly unusable).

Installing today's update makes it run very fast again. Boots xp in around a minute (and that's with me having a lot of junk that runs at start-up). Very useable once it comes up.

As another poster mentioned, increasing the RAM on your system will make a world of difference. With RAM so cheap these days, it's a no-brained upgrade.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.