Volume too quiet using AirPods with Nano

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Bakerwrites, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Bakerwrites macrumors newbie

Bakerwrites

I have just tried my brand new AirPods (love them by the way), with my iPod Nano (7th Gen), and while they pair up just fine, the volume is too quiet to be listenable anywhere but a totally silent room.

What are the chances that we will get a software update on the Nano to resolve this issue, or are us iPod users just too niche to worry about anymore?

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I bought a used nano to use with my Airpods, as this would be the perfect running setup for me. Sadly, like you, I've discovered that I can't hear the music. I'd love an update to the nano, but I fear we're just out of luck.

3. Bakerwrites thread starter macrumors newbie

Bakerwrites

This has been fixed with the latest AirPods firmware update, which is a fantastic surprise.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Has it?! Oh man, I can't wait to get home to run now! Thanks!

5. KuRi macrumors newbie

6. Macman123456 macrumors newbie

Sorry but still experiencing a very quiet nano on full volume with the latest Airpods firmware.

7. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

I can confirm that AirPods running 1.5.1 firmware will work with the 7th generation nano. However, to find out what firmware my AirPods were running, as well as update them, I used an iOS device. Not sure if/how this can be accomplished with an iPod nano.

8. Macman123456 macrumors newbie

Actually it's 3.5.1 but when I tried it a couple days ago the volume was really low on full volume from the nano. Today it works fine and the software version is the same. Happy now! Ultimate lightweight jukebox for working out.

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

It definitely has not fixed the issue for me. My nano is on 1.0.4 (I just restored it this morning) and the Airpods are on 3.5.1. I've unpaired and repaired. Everything. ):

10. Macman123456 macrumors newbie

OK I'm back again. Volume is back to being low again. Seems intermittent. BTW when it's loud it's not as loud as the Airpods sound when using my iPhone. It appears we still need some tweaking of the software on either the nano or Airpods or maybe both. Really wish this would work.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 17, 2017 ---
    Read on another post to try another Bluetooth device so tried my cheapo Android tablet and they are super loud and sound great. Com'on Apple let's fix this issue I'm guessing with the nano.

11. darensanborn macrumors newbie

I'm seeing the same thing as well. Airpods are on latest firmware, Nano has all updates, volume still really quiet. It's barely useable outside.

Anyone have any thoughts?

12. zaaach48 macrumors regular

zaaach48

Perhaps the old bluetooth version on the Nano doesn't support newer Bluetooth devices well?

13. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Apple.com lists the 6th gen iPod touch as the only iPod compatible with AirPods (and BeatsX too).

Apple TV 4 and iPhone 5 are the oldest compatible devices from their categories. It's probably the W1-chip which needs iOS 10 (iPod touch 5G / iPhone 4s run iOS 9)?

Anyway, the AirPods could have worked with the Nano as a simple bluetooth headset like on Android as it would seem to me. Maybe the bluetooth hardware from the Nano is limited, don't have much experience with it. Interesting that the thread starter said his worked again...

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

When I first got the Airpods, I chatted with an Apple rep and they said that they would work with the nano in the same way any other Bluetooth set would. I'd lose the functionality that the W1 chip provides, but it would work. And while that is technically true, it doesn't help much.

15. JonnyRotten macrumors newbie

JonnyRotten

Same here.
    They "work" but as we've all stated, the volume when using the AirPods is pretty low.
    Funny thing is, if you plug the wired Apple earphones into the iPod, it's super loud so why can't it be the same when using the AirPods?