VPN Support in iPhone, What's in the Box, Specs

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

An Apple iPhone FAQ confirms an earlier rumor that VPN will be supported on the iPhone:

For secure Internet access, iPhone supports industry-standard Wi-Fi security and virtual private networking (VPN).
The FAQ also reveals some other answers, such as:

- 4 Digit Password can be used to protect iPhone
- Windows 2000 (SP4), Windows XP Home or Professional (SP2), and Windows Vista.
- Photo of the iPhone Dock with bluetooth headset charger pictured

Finally the iPhone's specs page is updated with more detailed capabilities:

Audio formats supported: AAC, Protected AAC, MP3, MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 1, 2, and 3), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
What comes in the box:

- iPhone
- Stereo Headset
- Dock
- Dock Connector to USB Cable
- USB Power Adapter
- Documentation
- Cleaning/polishing cloth

iTunes 7.3 (not yet released) is required for the iPhone.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
The VPN is really important for many wireless networks and accessibility for other people. Definitely good news.

I like the iTunes 7.3 as well. :)

Yankees 4 Life

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
College Station, Tx
Ask a stupid question but what benefits would this offer? I get a work phone from time to time but don't do anything particularly exciting apart from make calls.
Thanks.
This allows business people to connect to their company's networks, and also allows college students, like myself, to connect to our networks. Also, this is going to be one giant ass box with all that they are stuffing in...

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
No Wireless N?

You would think it would have wireless N capabilities since Apple is pioneering this stuff.

I'm a wireless network newb, but won't that slow down my home N network when I connect with it?

Just curious.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
I think it is cool for apple & ATT to be releasing these sorta kind of updates during the week. I have a feeling something special will happen friday.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
I think it is cool for apple & ATT to be releasing these sorta kind of updates during the week. I have a feeling something special will happen friday.
I know. It has been like a mini version of the song "12 days of Christmas"....

Marketing wise, this has been genius. IMO.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
- USB Power Adapter
What would be uber cool is if this works on the do nothing USB port of the apple TV.. that why if you buy the Bluetooth kit or an extra usb power adapter you could have two places to charge the iphone instead of one...

upstairs.
on the far side of the house.
underneath all the office junk.

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
Does this mean that it comes with 2 USB cables, 1 for the dock and extra cable? If so I could leave the dock at home and take the other USB cable to work.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
Just thought of another downfall...

If I have a home computer (MAC) and a work computer (PC) and I want to sync calendars and address books back and forth, I'm assuming I'm not going to be able to do this even though it's a cross platform device. If you activate it on a Mac, I'm sure you can pull information from other macs, but I wondered if it was a similar situation (as with the iPOD) where you can only use one platform at a time... hmmm

I'll wait for HUMAN reviews before I shell out the bucks.

travishill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Good question, would the n standard wi-fi cost that much more?
I think it's more because truly mobile-N chips are extremely rare and power hungry right now, and since G networks are still faster than almost any internet connection, the decision makes sense...

sminman

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
What Does This Mean?

How long does it take to activate my new iPhone?
Activation times can vary, but if you’re setting up a new line, it may take as little as a few minutes. If you’re porting a number from another carrier, it could take longer. While you’re waiting, you can make calls but not receive them.

Are they talking about making calls on your old service provider?

Or do they mean you can make emergency calls only on the iPhone when you don't have a sim card in it?

I didn't quite understand what they meant? :confused:

Sam

avalys

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2004
If I have a home computer (MAC) and a work computer (PC) and I want to sync calendars and address books back and forth, I'm assuming I'm not going to be able to do this even though it's a cross platform device. If you activate it on a Mac, I'm sure you can pull information from other macs, but I wondered if it was a similar situation (as with the iPOD) where you can only use one platform at a time... hmmm

Walt Mossberg, David Pogue and the rest are not human?

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
I know. It has been like a mini version of the song "12 days of Christmas"....

Marketing wise, this has been genius. IMO.
I agree, it has been a great move on apple's part. Now like the whole world's eyes are on them in Friday, let's hope they don't blow it. *Knocks on wood*

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
No but it will suck battery dry 3 times faster....
Yeah... I suppose you're right. Expanded range would definitely suck the life out of the battery. Maybe an option to set it to what you want.

Whatever. Not the end of the world as long as it doesn't pull a NINTENDO and not make it compatible with WPA2 (ala DS).

bravedeer

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2006
Hmmm...

Considering we already have reviews, I doubt there'll be any major update... maybe a software update that adds IM or MMS?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera

Just FYI, if you format your iPod on a Windows machine, you can still use it on a Mac. You'll have to do the software updates in Windows, but all the other functionality works fine. A Mac-formatted iPod can't be used in Windows, however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.