Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
Seriously this iPhone crap is getting boring...

Is apple as a company that small that they have nothing else going on?

I mean damn whatever happened to ilife 07? avchd support on mac os with pro apps? Give me other news besides this ******** the damn iphone already... everywhere i go is the same ****....there is more exciting things going on in teh gadget community then this freaking phone....
i have been recieving so many pop-ups about this iphone on my mac in the last 2 days i cant believe this hype....

we all know its a universal beta program to see how gen2 will be.
All first gen apple products are the same,crappy,unreliable with a **** load of problems...I am not saying dont talk about it but lately all this week macrumors is officially iphonerumors...look at thinksecret and how well balanced their home page is....

I am sick of thsi trendy phone already-i know if i dont like it dont read or comment well guess what i did so live with it.

Tulse

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
In our company we have set our phones so that they are automatically locked if not used for five minutes. That way the calendar and email are safe. Since iPhone lacks this feature, it's a no-go at our company. Or at least, it could not be used for work-email or calendar.

I haven't seen any explicit mention that this feature is not on the phone, and I wouldn't be surprised if the phone does indeed have a "sleep-after-period-of-inactivity" function, if for no other reason than to save battery life. And if it sleeps automatically, it likely can be set to lock automatically as well.

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
Yes, but it only asks for the password when turned on or resuming from sleep. If the phone is up & running, and you lose it, the person who finds your phone has total access to your calendar and email. And this is a Bad Thing (tm).

In our company we have set our phones so that they are automatically locked if not used for five minutes. That way the calendar and email are safe. Since iPhone lacks this feature, it's a no-go at our company. Or at least, it could not be used for work-email or calendar. Also, if the phone is lost, we can remotely format the phone. It seems that this is not possible with the iPhone.

During the MSNBC tv spot you can see that when he doesn't touch the screen for a few minutes it goes to sleep.

FeralCat

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
So are you saying that a sim card is already pre-assigned with every iPhone?
(I thought the iPhone had a SIM card slot to insert in your SIM card? No?)

I hope I will be able to buy the phone, come home, update my current AT&T (cingular) plan with the iPhone data package through iTunes, and enjoy?

What am I going to be waiting for exactly? The 3 minutes it takes to set up the iPhone through iTunes?

Yes, it has a SIM card slot, which is already pre-populated w/ a SIM card. No, you will not pull your current SIM from your current phone and put it in the iPhone. You will activate the iPhone & have it's SIM card become your primary SIM. Then, you may be able to pull the SIM from the iPhone and use it in another phone; it's a SIM, after all. I don't see anything that will prevent you from using the iPhone SIM in a RAZR, for example. But, you CANNOT use your SIM from your current phone in the iPhone; that seems pretty clearly stated.

Sorry, didn't answer your second question: yes, you are correct. I don't think you will need to wait for anything else other than however long it takes to activate the phone through iTunes, and maybe to get your current phone number moved over to your iPhone, if you choose to do that.

I'm planning on switching from Verizon to AT&T for this, and as I have moved across the country, I won't be retaining my old-area-code number, so I am hoping for no delay in being able to use my phone immediately. First call will be to cancel my Verizon service... :D

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle

Remember that when the PS3 came out that was ALL the info people talked about regarding Sony for a month, and they're a much bigger company than Apple. People like the hype. If you don't, go on vacation for the next week or two, and come back when things have settled down a bit.

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
Not as boring as all the people talking about how boring the iPhone is.... :rolleyes:

You want to know whats really boring?

justifying the iphones complete inability to provide major key components in a cell phone scpeially in 2007.
I just hope when millions of people start complaining about problems they are having with their iphones those type of news dont get pushed back to the forums only side. :)

I Like the way the iphone looks but man talk about being crippled
and we laughed at the zune for what? because they provided a crippled wifi? something that was not done on a mp3 playe before
but apple is missing so much stuff on a cell phone that even some of the phones coming out right now that are hundreds less provide?
I want success for apple but how about we move along..

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
You would think it would have wireless N capabilities since Apple is pioneering this stuff.

I'm a wireless network newb, but won't that slow down my home N network when I connect with it?

Just curious.

N Hasn't been ratified yet and it would be suicide for any manufacturer to put that in a device as important as a phone. Whenever the standard is ratified, if it had changed, making the iPhone not compliant, it would be a nightmare. It's a risk that no one would be willing to take. And the Pre-N routers don't count as they don't operate on public networks.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
plumbingandtech said:
I know. It has been like a mini version of the song "12 days of Christmas"....

Marketing wise, this has been genius. IMO.

I agree, it has been a great move on apple's part. Now like the whole world's eyes are on them in Friday, let's hope they don't blow it. *Knocks on wood*

Thirded. I think this is great marketing not just because it keeps constant good news about the iPhone in the media during the build up to its release date, but Apple knew that however great the iPhone was when it was released that people would find things to complain about. So by purposely holding back knowledge of features it would have on its release, all the nay-sayers and haters built up a repertoire of complaints that became the accepted 'cons' list that the general public in forums and the media picked up on. Now by eliminating those well known cons so near to the product's release, the haters don't have enough time to generate a new list of complaints that can get propagated in time to make the product look bad.

That's really smart marketing.

Random Ping

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007

Leopard was dominating the news just two weeks ago.

Probably within 2-3 weeks after the iPhone Apple will release new cinema displays (my guess is they will have built-in iSight cameras). Then a few weeks after that Apple will release completely new iMacs. And then about a month after that Apple will release Leopard.

I mean damn whatever happened to ilife 07?

Rumor is that it has some Leopard-specific features in it, so it will need to wait for Leopard to be released this coming October.

Gators Fan

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2007
Here, There, & Everywhere
How long does it take to activate my new iPhone?
Activation times can vary, but if you’re setting up a new line, it may take as little as a few minutes. If you’re porting a number from another carrier, it could take longer. While you’re waiting, you can make calls but not receive them.

Are they talking about making calls on your old service provider?

Or do they mean you can make emergency calls only on the iPhone when you don't have a sim card in it?

I didn't quite understand what they meant? :confused:

Sam

Sam, it means you're going to have to wait, taking deep breaths, slowing down the beat of your achy-breaky heart and calming your shaking fingers anxious to ramble through the digital world, for "the system" to do whatever it has to do to get you up and running.

How long will you have to wait? Probably not long, at all. No need to stock in extra supplies or reschedule any elective surgery. All the little hamsters at Apple and AT&T will be running just as fast as they can, I am sure.

Padriac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
You want to know whats really boring?

justifying the iphones complete inability to provide major key components in a cell phone scpeially in 2007.
I just hope when millions of people start complaining about problems they are having with their iphones those type of news dont get pushed back to the forums only side. :)

I Like the way the iphone looks but man talk about being crippled
and we laughed at the zune for what? because they provided a crippled wifi? something that was not done on a mp3 playe before
but apple is missing so much stuff on a cell phone that even some of the phones coming out right now that are hundreds less provide?
I want success for apple but how about we move along..

Yes, it does get boring reading the same line about lack of 3G in a phone. Every reason has been made about why that sucks, and every counterpoint about how there's so little 3G coverage it doesn't matter anyway has also been made. Similar with the other "shortcomings". We all know about them, so let it go.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
Why would someone change the language to spanish? Possibly because his/her english skills aren't fantastic (ie some immigrants). If that's the case, I am 1000% positive those immigrants do not have jobs with salaries that allow them to buy a $600 cellphone.

Why would they change the language?? To speak to relatives maybe? Or friends? Or when they are in another country (roaming) that spanish is widely spoken?

For example, my family and I know english perfectly, but if we lived in the US I'm sure we would talk to ourselves in spanish. Why? Because that is the way it is! Don't you think this can be the case with other families?

This goes with other languages as well.

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
odemadrid said:
Why would someone change the language to spanish? Possibly because his/her english skills aren't fantastic (ie some immigrants). If that's the case, I am 1000% positive those immigrants do not have jobs with salaries that allow them to buy a $600 cellphone.
Wow, I'm shocked by your bigoted comments.

Why would someone want a non-English language installed? Perhaps they are emailing, or sms-ing someone in a different country, and are writing in that person's language. With the iPhones predictive keyboard, you would need to have other dictionaries installed, or it would constantly be trying to replace the words you wrote with English ones.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
...the iphones complete inability to provide major key components in a cell phone scpeially in 2007... I Like the way the iphone looks but man talk about being crippled... apple is missing so much stuff on a cell phone that even some of the phones coming out right now that are hundreds less provide?

Uh huh. Care to provide specifics about what "major key components in a cell phone" that the iPhone is missing "that even some of the phones coming out right now that are hundreds less provide?"

jmerchlinsky

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Washington DC
Altitude

I think apple includes these operating ranges just to be safe (legally speaking) (i've operated my rev.A macbook well over 3,000m high.. and in temperatures well below 10°C).
Electronic devices are very susceptible to changes in pressure and temperature indeed, but don't exaggerate :p.

Electronics are very sensitive to temperature, but not generally to altitude. The reason for having a maximum altitiude spec is that as the air gets thinner at higher altitudes the device does not cool itself as efficiently. That is why the maximum operating temperature is only guaranteed to 10,000 ft. My company derates the maximum temperature of our products by some number of degrees for every thousand feet above 10,000.

Since high altitudes are typically cooler, there is not often a problem. But you do have to cover yourself legally.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Ask a stupid question but what benefits would this offer? I get a work phone from time to time but don't do anything particularly exciting apart from make calls.
Thanks.

Many people and companies have their internal network firewalled so that computers out there on the Internet can't access computers on the internal LAN. In fact you'd be dumb not to do this. VPN allows you to access those internal computers from the outside via n encrypted link.

With VPN I can securely access the computers in my office from home. With VPN the iPhone can access a company's internal servers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.