Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank_FS

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2016
I agree, the XPS 15" is an AMAZING machine: skylake, 4k screen, almost bazel-free, dGPU 960M, 16gb Ram, long battery life, aluminium and carbon fiber, etc. Specwise, it gives MBP 15" a run for its money.

Sigh... I wish I didnt dislike Windows so much :( I'm trapped in the OSX/iOS ecosystem!

Actually the XPS isn't great at all on battery life, atleast not the 4k model. The full-HD model seems to do alot better.

jeepdriver8912

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Apple has waited too long and has now convinced me that they care more about phones, tablets, and watches than what began the company. So I have made a decision.

Couldn't Wati.PNG

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
The Vaio Z uses the 28w chips appropriate to the 13" MBP and they've been out since late February. Someone here was posting benchmarks with their new unit. I think the chance for a 13" update during the march keynote is very high barring any other issues.

Intel demoed the Skull Canyon NUC early January back at CES and shortly thereafter updated ARK to reflect the Skylake-H parts with launched status, but didn't want to talk too much about it until GDC. So next week (Monday?) that will be the first product to be announced with it. Then the Xeon parts were shown in an earlier part, already in the hands of OEMs.

So there is some movement, next week we should see a lot of noise and finally closing with (hopefully) the announcement on next monday.

Yep, I am still in possession of the asus z flip with the 550.

This doesn't mean that there are enough Iris 550 chips available in bulk quantity for Apple to release 13" MacBook Pro. but at this point, there probably is now.

And 580: yes the 580 has been announced. But there are no products available with them, and it's hard to say when they will be ready. my gut says there won't be enough ready to release a 15" MBP next week with it.
[doublepost=1457713234][/doublepost]
Apple has waited too long and has now convinced me that they care more about phones, tablets, and watches than what began the company. So I have made a decision.

View attachment 620691

Hell yea dude. I have been thinking about buying that laptop for awhile now. And probably still will. but I am waiting on the Razer Core. which was announced in January. But still isn't available?! and no updates on it.

Seems silly for Razer to be selling that laptop without the core. Still a great laptop without it, but not a gaming laptop.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I really dont understand Macbook Pro's in the second half. Kaby Lake will be out by December time frame, so if Apple releases new Skylake Macbook Pro's in ~July, that's only 5 months till obsolete by Intel products. That seems very strange to me.
By the second half. AKA, probably WWDC unless Apple has another event in April or May. And it won't be obsolete. People thinking Intel is going to have Kaby Lake processors for Macbook Pros by December are crazy. Earliest refresh will probably be next February or March again, and it's a very minor update from Skylake to Kabylake.

i think its irrelevant what they say since the Macbook will be updated 100%
In March? It's far from 100% confirmed to be at the event.

Seriously I'm having enough of this "lifestyle Apple"
Here we go.
The Apple watch? Just garbage, crap, a fad to counter the saturated iPad and iPhone markets.
As an owner, I disagree strongly. Also, the Apple Watch isn't delaying Macbooks.
The "next new thing" for tech hipsters to go for.
And apparently the next new thing for people to shout "get off my lawn" about.
Essentialy just being an overpriced, ugly second screen to your iPhone.
Does your phone track your heart rate and how many calories your burn during workouts? Mine doesn't.

Reactions: Simplicated

OSX7

Suspended
Jul 26, 2015
Ohh.... I see the tear festival I predicted few pages back is already happening, but BEFORE THE EVENT. Lol
Remember guys, Valium (or anything to calm you down really), you may be needing it for March 21st. Don't want anyone getting hurt.

IndigoDesign

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015
"Does your phone track your heart rate and how many calories your burn during workouts? Mine doesn't."
Mine neither, but my 59,- fitness-tracker made from sweat resistant rubber does. Even transmit it via bluetooth onto my phone... (which happens to be an iPhone 6).

I don't want to step on anybodies toes here, but no one NEEDED an Apple Watch. It's luxury and fine if you believe that it enhances your life (but you know, humans came with built-in heart-rate tracker, if you feel like crap, heartrate is too high) more power to you, but there are people that RELY on a performant mac OS computer to do actual work with, earn a living and such you know.

The statement that the Apple watch doesn't delay MBPs, well I'm not so sure about that. I know, different departements and all, but to me it still feels like Apple's "FOCUS" has shifted from producing cutting edge pro tools to producing "me too" gadgets for the masses with luxury tax tacked on. Like, solving a problem that isn't there, and if it isn't there, they provide it with the package.

And no I'm not a windows fanboy, far from it, it's actually a practice every big tech company seems to do except maybe dell and Lenovo, they still build "down to earth" work equipment. Quality and design and value for money are other subjects entirely though.

Also, I'm still happily running my mac mini late 2012 with quad core xeons i7, SSD and 1TB 7200 hd in there with 16 gigs of ram. It's a brilliant machine and I did all the upgrades myself. That said it's a DICK move on apples side to remove the quads from the mini lineup AND remove user upgradeability. On most other machines they could argue "the design is so tight it's not user-upgradeable anymore" but on the mac mini, it's literally just soldering the bottom lid shut and attaching the ram permanently on the logic board. It's planned obscolescense and I STRONGLY disagree with such a move, no matter by what company.

That said, Apple really needs to bring a PRO machine worthy of it's name to see my money. Unfortunately I'm even less happy with the competition so it seems like I'm up for disappointment one way or another!

And again,
if you're happy with your gadgets and way of life, enjoy it, no insult intended.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
By the second half. AKA, probably WWDC unless Apple has another event in April or May. And it won't be obsolete. People thinking Intel is going to have Kaby Lake processors for Macbook Pros by December are crazy. Earliest refresh will probably be next February or March again, and it's a very minor update from Skylake to Kabylake.

They will be updated in the first half I suspect, we hardly ever read any rumours about Mac laptop updates these day's, everyones too busy leaking iOS devices, their have been several silent updates carried out with no prior leak. Even the iPod Touch was leaked as being updated the day before the update and all you got from Apple was a press release.
I doubt an update will not happen till the middle of the year. But who knows this is Apple?

As for the Razer Blade, yeah really nice machines, Windows machines in Apple laptop cases. But they are very expensive here in the UK, like £500 more then the top end Retina 15" MacBook Pro!!! Plus it's Windows.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmChimera

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
"Does your phone track your heart rate and how many calories your burn during workouts? Mine doesn't."
Mine neither, but my 59,- fitness-tracker made from sweat resistant rubber does. Even transmit it via bluetooth onto my phone... (which happens to be an iPhone 6).
But your phone doesn't do it. Meaning your statement that the Apple Watch doesn't do anything but act as a second screen for your phone is objectively false.

I don't want to step on anybodies toes here
Well then don't throw out insulting hyperbole.
but no one NEEDED an Apple Watch
Lol, people don't need iPhones or Apple TVs or TVs, or BMWs either. This is such a silly argument. Half of the people posting here don't NEED a Macbook Pro. But that's irrelevant. Because they want it, and presumably can afford it. And that's really all that matters.
(but you know, humans came with built-in heart-rate tracker, if you feel like crap, heartrate is too high)
If you think the only reason for a heart rate tracker is to wonder if your heart rate is too high, then you should do some research. People track heart rates during workouts because it can make their workouts more effective.
but there are people that RELY on a performant mac OS computer to do actual work with, earn a living and such you know.
And they're available right now. Let's not pretend that someone's livelihood is being threatened because Apple hasn't updated the Macbook Pro since last May. If you need a computer right now, and it has to be a Mac, then buy one. I think most will agree that the current Macbook Pro will get the job done.

The statement that the Apple watch doesn't delay MBPs, well I'm not so sure about that.
You should be pretty sure since Macbook Pros and the Apple Watch came out pretty close to each other.
I know, different departements and all, but to me it still feels like Apple's "FOCUS" has shifted from producing cutting edge pro tools to producing "me too" gadgets for the masses with luxury tax tacked on. Like, solving a problem that isn't there, and if it isn't there, they provide it with the package.
They've made ONE Apple Watch. Is that really all it took to convince you that their entire focus has shifted? 4k iMac? iPad Pro? iPhone 6s and Apple Tv 4? Did those products not come out last year?

And again,
if you're happy with your gadgets and way of life, enjoy it, no insult intended.
I disagree that you didn't mean to insult, you just weren't aware that someone could (shocker) want a Macbook Pro AND an Apple Watch. Good thing Apple gives me both.

Brudinski

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2016
The amount of salt in this thread is insane

I ordered a Surface Book today to try it out, but I can´t see myself moving away from OS X so I´m going to wait for the new MacBooks even if it takes until June :)

Reactions: Mattsasa and nicovh

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
The amount of salt in this thread is insane

I ordered a Surface Book today to try it out, but I can´t see myself moving away from OS X so I´m going to wait for the new MacBooks even if it takes until June :)
take care, there are a lot of problems with that product, i returned mine and i will wait for second generation

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Silent update? Must be stirring up the Mac mini thread lol - isn't the Mac mini more likely to get a silent refresh over a MBP that's being expected to have a design refresh...
Not sure how much time some watch bands can take, though we've seen the Apple Music saga before.

Brudinski

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2016
take care, there are a lot of problems with that product, i returned mine and i will wait for second generation
I´m not going to keep it , I´m just going to try it out for 30 days to see if I can "survive" on a machine that only runs Win 10
I´m going to wait for the new MacBook Pro before I make a purchase, that´s for sure :)

j1104638

Suspended
Dec 26, 2015
I really dont understand Macbook Pro's in the second half. Kaby Lake will be out by December time frame, so if Apple releases new Skylake Macbook Pro's in ~July, that's only 5 months till obsolete by Intel products. That seems very strange to me.
Kaby Lakes suitable for rMBPs will come no earlier than 2017, presumably Q2-Q3. Intel has not been releasing the whole lineup of their CPUs at once for a while.
[doublepost=1457717697][/doublepost]
who think that in march no mac will be updated is mad
This... is... SPAR-TAAA.
[doublepost=1457717837][/doublepost]
Razer Core will be available in June-July
Why do you think so? They'll announce the price next week. 2.5 months more waiting is a little too much, don't you think?
[doublepost=1457718162][/doublepost]
But your phone doesn't do it. Meaning your statement that the Apple Watch doesn't do anything but act as a second screen for your phone is objectively false.
His statement started with the word "essentially" you've (inadvertently, of course) missed. So his statement that Apple Watch is essentially a second screen for iPhone is as true as your rant that Apple Watch also measures your heart rate etc for which there are cheaper better devices which do it much better and stricter.

Don't throw this "objectively" ******** here please without being objective yourself. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.