Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Has anyone seen any articles as to how the iPhone 4 will be activated?
Does it has to be in store?
Can I take it home and "upgrade" my current ATT contract?

I wish someone would know

They will have to be un-bricked in store more than likely. When my girlfriend got her 3GS in store in March they still had to connect it to a modified iTunes on their Terminal to un-brick it.

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
While it's nice that this option is available, I'd sooner drive across the state than buy anything at a Wal-Mart (the Microsoft of general merchandise retailing).

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
While it's nice that this option is available, I'd sooner drive across the state than buy anything at a Wal-Mart (the Microsoft of general merchandise retailing).

Agreed! First choice would always be an Apple store but they aren't located in every town. I wish they were though.

mrsmitty13

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2007
Well if they release the iPhone at wal-mart in any way similar to way run their black friday sales, expect a few deaths across the nation.

I guess we can also expect to see the gun sound and fart machine apps rising to the top of app store charts that day as well.

fox777

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
USA
The company did not carry the low-end 8 GB iPhone 3G during the previous product cycle, and so it is unclear if it will be offering the 8 GB iPhone 3GS during this cycle.

All this time I didn't know 8GB 3GS existed. Is it walmart exclusive?

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
Has anyone seen any articles as to how the iPhone 4 will be activated?
Does it has to be in store?
Can I take it home and "upgrade" my current ATT contract?
It's the same process as the current iPhones. A salescritter in the store will need to port your phone number to the new device and activate it. Among other reasons, they need to confirm that you're eligible for the $199/$299 pricing before they can charge you for the device.

Tyre

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I don't think Apple should sell product at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart mostly sells products made by developing-nation laborers working under near-slave conditions for pitiful wages. Apple should not associate with companies that engage in such inhumane practices.

Oh, wait a minute...:eek:

I would love an evidence you have to back this up. And if you are thinking Foxconn, remember that because of the size of the company the suicide rates are comparable to national levels in China.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Ugh. forgive me when i stop puking.

sorry.... I just think Apple needs to sell their iphone's in the US at...

VERIZON STORES
SPRINT STORES
T-MOBILE STORES

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
I don't think Apple should sell product at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart mostly sells products made by developing-nation laborers working under near-slave conditions for pitiful wages. Apple should not associate with companies that engage in such inhumane practices.

Oh, wait a minute...:eek:
Sprayed my keyboard with the cup of water I was drinking when I read this. Nice!

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
This is going to make it harder for me ...Im trying not to break my Verizon contract until next years iphone....and now its going to be everywhere.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I don't go into WalMart. Period. But this news would seem to indicate that Apple has been building a TON of iPhone 4s for release date! Which, of course, is good news for those that want to get one that day. :)

Fingers crossed for a smooth day for all concerned on June 24.

Mark

AppleRules

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
This is similar to selling new Mercedes Benz in a used car lot, in Compton.

I agree, I only buy Apple products from the Apple store.
Apple should maybe reconsider letting Walmart sell Their products. I associate Walmart with cheap products and low income shoppers, that doesn't mesh with Apples high class image.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Can't stand Wal-mart, but I shop there because it is affordable. Anyway, I'll be having my iPhone delivered to my house. Screw all this waiting in line garbage. I did that for my 3G and left with a sunburn.

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
Apple should maybe reconsider letting Walmart sell Their products. I associate Walmart with cheap products and low income shoppers, that doesn't mesh with Apples high class image.

And it's that kind of comment that gives Apple fans a bad name. Makes us all look like snobs.

Apple's main marketing slant is that it's products make the best user experience for computers, music, books, the internet, and media available to everoynone in the best possible way. Regardless of whether that's true or not, selling iPhone, iPads, iPods, or Macs in as many retail stores as possible is a way for them to reach as many potential customer's as possible. Now if high falutin d-bags like you prefer to shop at the Apple store only, then great. But keep in mind not everyone lives within a reasonable distance of an Apple store, and one of the other retail outlets might be more convenient. Regardless of where you buy it, you're still getting an Apple product.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB

Maybe not but the extra cash meshes quite well with Apple.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
OT newsflash: The iPhone 4 might be the last iPhone being assembled in China, apparently:

"Foxconn decided to withdraw the mainland part of the production line, hundreds of thousands of workers facing unemployment, it would also threaten to lift foreign plant of refugees to flee! Foxconn Hon Hai Group, the parent company in Hong Kong and Taiwan yesterday, the shareholders will be held, are in Taiwan Chairman Terry Gou said the production line next will withdraw some of the mainland to Taiwan and studied to increase production lines in Vietnam and moved to India. Gou also pointed out that Foxconn has been suspended death benefits to all staff; and the mainland is ready to plant management staff quarters, the right of employees to the plant to take care of their local governments..."

http://translate.google.com/transla...78_001.html&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.