Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
Is the walkie talkie going to be available on series 3 and non cellular watches or only series 4 and only cellular?

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
Works on Series 3 also and will work if you have your phone on GPS models or the watch is connected to WiFi.
Sweet!!! Thanks!! I’ll be the only person I know with the series 4 and I was hoping I could use that. I think it’s going to be neat and annoying. LOL

roncito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Poconos PA
Sweet!!! Thanks!! I’ll be the only person I know with the series 4 and I was hoping I could use that. I think it’s going to be neat and annoying. LOL

I’ve been running watchOS beta since it debuted. Currently running the golden master on my series 3, it’s really good. The watch feels amazing and love the new features. Since the golden master came out I convinced my best friend and my fiancé to install them which meant they needed iOS 12 golden master as well. We have tried the walkie talkie and it’s very cool! For example if say I’m in the kitchen and she is upstairs and she needed something quick she used it to tell me. Very cool. Also can’t wait for our series 4. I got the space black ss and she got the gold ss. Good luck with yours!

Reactions: Ntombi and Mansu944

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Another reason I'm sad that we have a mixed marriage. My husband is an Apple hater, and a firm believer in all things Android. :(

You might do well to try and introduce an apple product that appeals to his liking. For instance something small like an Apple TV, or Airpods, or maybe eve a homepod (I that that's not cheap). Something to indirectly show him the apple experience and from there maybe he'll appreciate it.

Downside is that a lot of these accessories work best on iOS to start, so that means this may be a moot point.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
You might do well to try and introduce an apple product that appeals to his liking. For instance something small like an Apple TV, or Airpods, or maybe eve a homepod (I that that's not cheap). Something to indirectly show him the apple experience and from there maybe he'll appreciate it.

Downside is that a lot of these accessories work best on iOS to start, so that means this may be a moot point.

Yea. We have a house full of Alexas, and he has a FireTV. Sometimes I think that Fire is better than my AppleTV, to be honest.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Oh that’s bad ass. My lazy wife will now walkie talkie me rather than yelling at me across the house. Lol

I’m looking forward to this actually. Because right now, when she yells out my name, I usually have to stop what I’m doing and walk over to the stairs just to be able to hear what she wants. At least I’ll be able to stay where I am now. :p

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
You should have started him off right away and shown him the ways of the Dark Side. :). I have a FireTV and an Apple TV and I have to say the AppleTV is so much easier to operate. My wife can do it no problem. I'm sure sooner or later he will come around. As soon as the new Samsungs start exploding again would be a good time to to turn him. What about computers? Is he a Windows guy or a Mac guy?

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Good to hear.

Lost my “better half” about 4 years ago. :(

Cherish what you have!

I'm sorry for your lost. Make sure when you're ready to find a new love, that he/she is an Apple person!

You should have started him off right away and shown him the ways of the Dark Side. :). I have a FireTV and an Apple TV and I have to say the AppleTV is so much easier to operate. My wife can do it no problem. I'm sure sooner or later he will come around. As soon as the new Samsungs start exploding again would be a good time to to turn him. What about computers? Is he a Windows guy or a Mac guy?

Windows, of course. He won't even buy Samsung. Would you believe he insists on buying Huwei?? (Our however it's spelled.)

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Do we know yet if sharing an iCloud account will complicate or conflict with walkie talkie.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I’ve been running watchOS beta since it debuted. Currently running the golden master on my series 3, it’s really good. The watch feels amazing and love the new features. Since the golden master came out I convinced my best friend and my fiancé to install them which meant they needed iOS 12 golden master as well. We have tried the walkie talkie and it’s very cool! For example if say I’m in the kitchen and she is upstairs and she needed something quick she used it to tell me. Very cool. Also can’t wait for our series 4. I got the space black ss and she got the gold ss. Good luck with yours!
I haven’t been able to try it since I have a series 0 that won’t support the new os and have a series 4 on the way. Is it possible to schedule when I’m available for walkie talkie each day? For instance, I’d like it to be off during work hours some days but not others since I work from home some days and on weekends and evenings is when my wife and I would use it most to coordinate groceries, kid activities, etc. I know we could just agree not to do it during those times but my wife runs a daycare and I worry about a kid accidentally activating it on her wrist when I’m presenting a new design or something else important.

roncito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Poconos PA
I haven’t been able to try it since I have a series 0 that won’t support the new os and have a series 4 on the way. Is it possible to schedule when I’m available for walkie talkie each day? For instance, I’d like it to be off during work hours some days but not others since I work from home some days and on weekends and evenings is when my wife and I would use it most to coordinate groceries, kid activities, etc. I know we could just agree not to do it during those times but my wife runs a daycare and I worry about a kid accidentally activating it on her wrist when I’m presenting a new design or something else important.

5db0e255b5ef9e625261217be04013aa.jpg

You can set when you’re available. Although you can’t schedule it.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
5db0e255b5ef9e625261217be04013aa.jpg

You can set when you’re available. Although you can’t schedule it.
That is too bad. If you're set to unavailable, and someone tries to walkie talkie you, will a request come through, or will nothing happen at all/be blocked from starting on the caller's end?

roncito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Poconos PA
That is too bad. If you're set to unavailable, and someone tries to walkie talkie you, will a request come through, or will nothing happen at all/be blocked from starting on the caller's end?

Well what I have noticed is that if you schedule your DND it also works for the walkie talkie. But if you just set it to unavailable it does not initiate anything. Just tells the caller you’re not available by dimming your name out.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Well what I have noticed is that if you schedule your DND it also works for the walkie talkie. But if you just set it to unavailable it does not initiate anything. Just tells the caller you’re not available by dimming your name out.
Gah! That's super annoying. Doubt we'll end up using this then because the likelihood of us remembering to turn it back on after work every day is near zero. Maybe I'll be able to cook something up with the new Shortcuts app.

Reactions: tgara and roncito

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

So in DND mode, Walkie Talkie won’t ring?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.