Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Does keeping “Available” ON at all times contribute to battery drain on the watch? Or does it not matter at all?

I noticed that if you keep it turned ON the yellow walkie talkie icon will flash on top of the watchface each time the screen turns on...

roncito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Poconos PA
Does keeping “Available” ON at all times contribute to battery drain on the watch? Or does it not matter at all?

I noticed that if you keep it turned ON the yellow walkie talkie icon will flash on top of the watchface each time the screen turns on...

It doesn’t drain battery since it only is used when you make a connection with the other person. The icon on the top is there to remind you that you have it set to available.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
How do you specify if you are available or unavailable? I don't know anyone else on OS5, so no one has tried to initiate a conversation but I would like to have it set to permanently unavailable. However, I can't find where that is a setting. When I open the app, it just gives me a list of all my contacts.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
How do you specify if you are available or unavailable? I don't know anyone else on OS5, so no one has tried to initiate a conversation but I would like to have it set to permanently unavailable. However, I can't find where that is a setting. When I open the app, it just gives me a list of all my contacts.
Open the app on your watch and scroll to the top. There is a slider.

Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Open the app on your watch and scroll to the top. There is a slider.

Nope. Can't find it on my S4 and couldn't find it on my S3 that was upgraded to OS5. I even set up my S4 as new to avoid wacky settings. Maybe it's just because I haven't invited or received any invitations.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Nope. Can't find it on my S4 and couldn't find it on my S3 that was upgraded to OS5. I even set up my S4 as new to avoid wacky settings. Maybe it's just because I haven't invited or received any invitations.

That could be.

When your watch face activates (raise or tap) do you see a little walkie talkie icon at the top briefly where the red notification dot normally appears?

If not, then it's not active. When walkie talkie is active (available), you will see the icon appear briefly every time the screen wakes up.

Reactions: mollyc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.