Walmart Pay 'Close to Surpassing' Apple Pay in U.S. Mobile Payments Usage

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 7, 2017.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Chip isn’t as anonymous as Apple Pay which is why Walmart can still use chip and not Apple Pay
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    I send money to friends without fees all the time. Use the Zelle feature.
    Also Canadian terminals are owned by a few banks, TD, Moneris, Chase etc.

But with US, large retailers use terminals fully integrated in with their POS systems. In Canada it’s easy for them to roll out en masse, US, not so much

2. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

Square as a service does...

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I’m in the US, and never ever ever use cash.

I do use my cards and I have about 80% Apple Pay usage. It isn’t nearly as bad as most people make it out to be.
    Good luck saying that to POLICE OFFICERS! Here in AZ, Walmart literally uses Phoenix Police at the door checking receipts.

4. Alan Wynn macrumors member

They use their club cards to accumulate data on those that register, but many retailers also track credit card usage for those who do not register.

Given that, unlike Target's card that links directly to one's bank account, Walmart Pay only takes credit cards, debit cards, pre-paid cards and gift cards, they are not bypassing the credit card interchange fees. CVS turned off NFC because they had partnered with MCX for a proprietary system that they later abandoned.

Walmart's goal seems to be to make parts of their shopping experience better in order to encourage people shop there vs. other retailers. That is why they offer their automatic price matching and coupon clipping services. They store customer's information on their servers, rather than on device.

5. TomaxXamot macrumors regular

TomaxXamot

They have ApplePay at Costco in Canada if you're paying with debit (not their MasterCard) and the bill is under $200. I thought it was similar in the States.

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Costco only has a Visa card. They have only regular chip card readers but NFC doesnt work- at least not right now. They said the NFC readers will turn on soon.

7. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

I'm sorry but in my experience people look at you funny when you try to use a phone or a watch to pay for something. You know they're thinking "wow, you're cool" and that's even when it works. Most of the time there's complications or errors with the terminals. Now you've got a line of people behind you wondering why some nerd is holding them up. Forget that, cash or card is how things are supposed to be paid. They always work, and it's much faster.

Look, I've set it up for the off chance I might, might think about trying it again. But until it works everywhere, I don't see it gaining any traction with me.

Also I'm happy for your mom.

8. anson42 macrumors regular

The answer is simple: Apple Pay is a secure payment system. The incentive is there because increased usage of AP leads to fewer payouts due to fraudulent usage.

9. cmwade77 macrumors 6502a

That isn't really needed if they would simply use a system similar to Samsung Pay that works with almost any existing card reader.

10. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

I disagree, there’s lots of places where Samsung pay still doesn’t work. And the process isn’t as seamless as it sounds.

11. chumpy34 macrumors 6502

chumpy34

I agree with you 100%, embarrassed??? I use Apple Pay at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Bashas (grocery store), Foot Locker, Walgreens, Circle K (gas station), Macy's, Jamba Juice, McDonald's, Apple Store, mom and pop's that use Square, etc. I can use Apple Pay at probably 70% of the places I shop or visit and it's 10 times faster than using a credit card reader.
    I've used Apple Pay hundred's of times and only once did it not work. It's 10 times faster than a credit card reader so I am pretty sure the only thing people are thinking is "Wow, wish I had one of those too." Plus, they don't ask for your zip code after the transaction which stores sell to mail spammers. There is literally no reason to not use Apple Pay, the benefits are all positive. I went for a bike ride the other day and left my phone and wallet home. Paid for lunch with my Watch. Simple.

12. fmalloy macrumors 6502

Coming soon: Facebook Pay, WhatsApp Pay, and Fart App Pay.

13. Jon Zombie macrumors newbie

It’s such a different situation here in Canada. NFC is pretty much standard now, I use my Apple Watch to pay almost everywhere, but Wal-Mart is one of the only places that doesn’t do NFC payments. Wal-Mart pay doesn’t even exist here, they still use the chip method.

14. Alan Wynn macrumors member

Other than the occasional parking meter, I rarely use cash.

For me: Baskin Robbins, Best Buy, B&H Photo Video, Chevron, Chick-fil-A, Dunkin Donuts, Foot Locker, Jersey Mike's, Macy's, McDonald's, MGM Resorts, Nike, Panera, Pep Boys, PetCo, PetSmart, Popeye's, Sprouts, Staples, Trader Joe's, Walgreen's, and Whole Foods (as well as some non-chain local places, cover a big part of my needs.

I have done exactly that in many places. I find that cops are the least likely to say anything if I just say "no thanks" as I walk past. :)

15. mrow macrumors member

It sounds like you need to talk to a professional about your social anxiety issues.

16. Alan Wynn macrumors member

I am a bit confused. You stated that you have never used Apple Pay, but you know how people look at you when you use your watch to pay? Again, while even if that was true in stores where it is rare, it certainly would not be true at the Apple Store with the employee who is dealing just with you and has no real line.

Again, I do not understand - you have never used Apple Pay, but there are always complications and errors using it?

I have had problems with my real credit card in stores as much or more than I have with Apple Pay. I travel a great deal and do a lot of purchases for events, so they often get flagged for fraud. That rarely happens for me with Apple Pay. It is also quite a bit faster than Chip and Sign is.[/quote]

17. Davrosuk macrumors newbie

You have no idea how this view appears from the UK. It’s like looking at something out of the Stone Age. Literally everything has NFC here - so when someone pays cash or uses a card in the traditional way it’s actually irritating as it’s significantly slower than contactless or Apple Pay.

I can’t recall a single occasion that Apple Pay hasn’t worked, even for transactions of hundreds of pounds.

Most days I don’t even take my wallet with me when I go out. My phone and watch is all that is needed! Secure, fast, it works everywhere and it’s as anonymous as you’ll get with a digital transaction - why wouldn’t anyone want that.

18. morcutt11 macrumors 6502

morcutt11

Inconvenient? What has happened to our society where holding your phone next to a payment terminal is too burdensome?

19. a.gomez macrumors 6502a

a.gomez

You do understand that if you do any financial transaction in the USA a time, location, and value of your financial transactions need to be given to your card provider. A merchant the size of Walmart can just use data to data brokers to Data Match the transaction. Apple Pay cant stop that.

No, it is not about you and if you bought a box of Cheerios. It is about the transaction fees - They do not take ANY 3rd party wallet. There is no extra fee for them when you use their own service.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Well obviously, for Walmart "CurrentC" wasn't a bad route to go. Despite the amazing criticism on this forum. But Walmart is a completely different beast than others who were a member of that consortium.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    This. Walmart is practically the equivalent of a country all by itself. So they can do their own currency :)

Not that it's unusual for stores to have their own special apps, anyway.

It's pretty much as if Apple itself had their own checkout app, that could only be used at their stores, that had oh say, a special "Express Checkout" feature or something.

Oh. Wait.

22. a.gomez macrumors 6502a

a.gomez

Must be interesting times when you hand your phone over to the waiter after a business lunch. This argument holds no water - any city I've been for work - from Tokyo, to Madrid, to London to NYC (where I live) It is always the same. That little ancient plastic card is the true fire way of always having access to your money for a service/product.

23. jarman92 macrumors regular

Except that with Pay the merchant doesn’t get your card number and thus couldn’t match anything. If I bought a box of Cheerios at Wal-Mart with Pay perhaps the store could figure out that SOMEONE purchased a box of Cheerios at x time on y date with z Visa, but they would have no way of figuring out my identity or how to push Cheerios ads at me later. That’s a huge selling point of Pay and a big reason certain stores won’t adopt it.

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    That's the way I feel about chip & PIN requiring a PIN !

It's so much more luxurious just remembering to scribble a "signature". It's like being super rich and trusted to pay the bill, instead of being treated like a probable thief.

:D

Okay, serious response: at this time, not taking a wallet simply isn't an option for most adults in the USA. That's because we all drive and we all currently need to carry a driver's license.

25. Phonephreak macrumors regular

Phonephreak

Source he’s making it up. Show us the facts