iPhone 11 Pro Warning: iPhone Upgrade Program 11 Pro's ARE NOT FACTORY UNLOCKED!!! THEY ARE LYING!!!

thefish2019

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2019
I got my girlfriend the Verizon version of the iPhone 11 Pro Max. I used the iPhone Upgrade Program directly through the Apple Store app. I'm with Verizon, she's with T-Mobile. I wanted to get the Verizon version in case she ever wanted to be able to switch. After clicking on "Will my iPhone be unlocked" and reading this incredibly clear, unambiguous statement, I ordered, thinking that Apple wouldn't lie to me in such a provably false way. I thought it would actually be the truth. However, sadly, they LIE right on the order page. Here's the statement:

Screenshot_78.png

The phone arrived yesterday. When my very excited girlfriend put her TMobile Sim Card in it, it wouldn't let her activate it. It said to contact Apple or Verizon. After a total of more than 3 hours on the phone today, Verizon says the phone is locked to them for 60 DAYS - even though the phone IS NOT FINANCED THROUGH VERIZON and the above statement is incredibly clear about the phone coming from the factory unlocked.

It's sad that Apple has chosen to lie to people like this, presumably to inflate sales to unsuspecting users that rely on their unambiguous statements like the one above. However, they have, and now the community needs to be warned. We now have a $1500 useless piece of garbage that we will have to drive a total of 120 miles to exchange...if we can even get one in stock.

DO NOT BELIEVE THE STATEMENT ABOVE. IT IS A WHOLESALE LIE. THESE PHONES ARE NOT UNLOCKED IN ANY WAY.

Reactions: Coffee_Time

rawrmcrawrrawr

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2018
You need to activate it on the carrier you selected and then it's unlocked. Apple even makes you input your phone number and the last 4 of the social on the account. If your girlfriend isn't on verizon, you shouldn't have picked verizon. All the iphone models are the same anyways.

thefish2019

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2019
Have you spoken to Apple about it? I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t be knowingly mis-selling it.
Yes, I just spent 3 hours on the phone with Apple and then Verizon, as I said in my post.

Last edited by a moderator:

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
They are unlocked phones. They just come with a carrier sim associated with it. There is no reason why your phone should be locked. You should visit an Apple Store if you have one near you, otherwise contact 1-800-MY-APPLE.

CE3

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Verizon recently (June or July of this year) got approval by the FCC to do this, which is a joke. They used to be forced to unlock the GSM part from day 1, now it’s 60 days.
That's what happens when the head of the FCC is a former Verizon lawyer 🙄

OP since the phone isn't being financed through Verizon like you said, see if you can get the matter escalated and demand the phone be unlocked. To me this is more of a Verizon policy issue.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
We ordered new AT&T phones through the upgrade program. The phone we picked up at the store was unlocked. The phone shipped to us was locked. Went to the store to exchange the locked phone and was able to get a replacement, also under IUP. The in store replacement was unlocked.

thefish2019

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2019
Verizon recently (June or July of this year) got approval by the FCC to do this, which is a joke. They used to be forced to unlock the GSM part from day 1, now it’s 60 days.
That would be fine, if that were clearly disclosed on the statement about phones being unlocked. This isn't some random statement I found on the apple website that could have been outdated. When you go to order an iPhone 11 Pro Max, there is a question you can click on that says "Will My Iphone Be Unlocked?" directly on the order page, after you go to select a carrier. When you click on it, the statement I screenshotted appears. So they know about this issue, and are choosing to lie about it. What they are saying is a wholesale lie.

AndrewR23

macrumors 68040
Jun 24, 2010
Technically the phone is unlocked, then when you put the Verizon sim in, its locked 60 days.

I ordered an ATT and my gfs Verizon sim works fine.

Reactions: niji and Sikh

thefish2019

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2019
You should have bought the T Mobile version. They are all the same phone after you activate them.
Had Apple not lied directly on the order page, I would have known that I was required to do that. However, they did lie, so now I'm at where I'm at. I didn't know that this year's model is all the same. In the past, it was the responsible thing to do to buy the Verizon version so that you would have CDMA capability.

Technically the phone is unlocked, then when you put the Verizon sim in, its locked 60 days.

I ordered an ATT and my gfs Verizon sim works fine.
She never put a Verizon sim in. She doesn't even have a Verizon sim. When she put the T-Mobile sim in, it simply said to contact Apple or Verizon. It wouldn't even let her setup the phone. That is hardly "unlocked" - technically or otherwise.

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
Had Apple not lied directly on the order page, I would have known that I was required to do that. However, they did lie, so now I'm at where I'm at. I didn't know that this year's model is all the same. In the past, it was the responsible thing to do to buy the Verizon version so that you would have CDMA capability.
It is has been the same phone for a couple of years and they spell it out completely on the specs page.

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California

She never put a Verizon sim in. She doesn't even have a Verizon sim. When she put the T-Mobile sim in, it simply said to contact Apple or Verizon. It wouldn't even let her setup the phone. That is hardly "unlocked" - technically or otherwise.
It came with a verizon sim. When you turned it on with that sim in it you locked the phone for 60 days.

Packers1958

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
It's clearly stated on the Verizon web page. They are locked for the first 60 days. You are going to have to use the phone for 60 days on Verizon, and then you can give it to your GF as it will become unlocked. You should ALWAYS check with the carrier first. This policy was enacted July 23rd 2019. Apple may never have been notified about Verizon's locking policy. You should have checked with Verizon.

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 4.56.41 PM.png