Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsr2

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
I’m using 6 on my watch with developer 13 beta 2 and hate it. Nothing syncs correctly and I definitely don’t get my messages. Reminders are non-existent. I know that it will all work out in the end so for now I am using it as....gasp...a plain ole watch with the Roman Numeral face.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Hahahahaha...that is one of the best replies I have ever seen on MacRumors! "Nuclear battery!"

But seriously, you got the best battery in an Apple Watch ever. Three days is not unheard of at all, but I would say not for a majority of users, for the simple fact most charge their AW's when they go to bed every night, not for lack of trying to get three days. I can do two easy, sometimes three, depending on my schedule and if I am on call or not...but I am glad you can get that much out of your nuclear AW everyday from the sounds of it.

:apple:

If my nuclear Apple Watch didn’t at least 2 days, I’d likely be back at using a Fitbit. Should be mentioned that I have the nuclear 42mm model. So the bigger nuclear battery helps.

A nice feature of it is it comes with a nuclear battery, so it keeps me nice and toasty at night.

Reactions: ErikGrim

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I really can’t understand how anyone claims to get 2 days, and especially three days, of battery life on an Apple Watch. I’m especially baffled if someone says they’re getting that and using the watch for workouts.

I almost never end the day at more than 40 or 50 percent. Granted, I exercise about an hour each day. Still, I cannot think of a scenario where I could get 2 days. 3 days...forget about it.

Well IF I use the workout app, which isn’t very often, I have the HR monitor feature turned off because I don’t really need it.

But everyone’s use is different. We may do the same things on our watch but even with that, so many variables. On the smaller watch, yes, mine could barely last 2 days. If I were to let it go to power reserve, probably 2 1/4. The bigger watch offers more battery life, which is why 3 days is achievable.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I know many people that get three days out of their S3 and S4's, pretty easy. In fact, I could have gotten three days out of mine today as it is at 38%, and that is since 8:45-9:00AM-ish Tuesday. However, before I get in the shower and shave this morning, I will put it on the charger and it will be back up to 100%.

My "workout" is walking around the hospital(s) all day/night and my AW performs amazingly.

What is the most you can get out of yours?

It appears the people with S3 & S4 LTE+GPS models (obviously exceptions) are the ones getting up to the three days of battery life and mine is an S3 LTE+GPS.

I don’t like to run my batteries down too low, so I’ve never had it go to power save mode. That said, I don’t think I’d make it home from work in day 2 before it went in to power save.

And I have a 40mm series 4 GPS+LTE.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I don’t like to run my batteries down too low, so I’ve never had it go to power save mode. That said, I don’t think I’d make it home from work in day 2 before it went in to power save.

I have a 38mm Series 3 LTE+GPS, and I can get three days worth.

As to your point about running the batteries down. If you do upgrade every year, or have AppleCare+, then who cares about running your battery down. If it fails, Apple will replace it. I usually always upgrade my AW every year, however, the Series 4 (in my opinion) just did not offer enough to upgrade. First time I did not get the new AW. I will most likely buy the Series 5. Just curious what Apple will add to the Series 5 to make it worth the upgrade over the Series 4. If it is nothing super amazing, I will just get a Series 4 brand new, for much cheaper.

Also, the battery is holding up just fine on my S3 obviously, if I can get three days of use on one charge. Also, I have AppleCare+ on my AW, so if my battery starts to suck, Apple will take care of it. I have never made a claim on the standard one year warranty, or AC+.

Last edited:

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014

Neither do I. I don’t let it fall below 35% but there have been a couple occasions where I didn’t have access to a charger and had to wait.

I have a 38mm Series 3 LTE+GPS, and I can get three days worth.

As to your point about running the batteries down. If you do upgrade every year, or have AppleCare+, then who cares about running your battery down. If it fails, Apple will replace it. I usually always upgrade my AW every year, however, the Series 4 (in my opinion) just did not offer enough to upgrade. First time I did not get the new AW. I will most likely buy the Series 5. Just curious what Apple will add to the Series 5 to make it worth the upgrade over the Series 4. If it is nothing super amazing, I will just get a Series 4 brand new, for much cheaper.

Also, the battery is holding up just fine on my S3 obviously, if I can get three days of use on one charge. Also, I have AppleCare+ on my AW, so if my battery starts to suck, Apple will take care of it. I have never made a claim on the standard one year warranty, or AC+.

If you can get 3 days on the 38mm size, now that’s impressive. I could only get 2 at the most, but that was also the Series 2. I’ve only had the 42mm for the Series 3.

I know battery life improved a lot with the Series 3 over the Series 2, so that’s probably why.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I’m wondering, if this is truly the case, are some of you are turning off certain features like raise to wake or something? I suppose the battery is slightly bigger on the series 3, as well. I’m still just shocked that anyone could get 3 days.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I’m wondering, if this is truly the case, are some of you are turning off certain features like raise to wake or something? I suppose the battery is slightly bigger on the series 3, as well. I’m still just shocked that anyone could get 3 days.

I have everything turned on, except for Background App Refresh. I haven’t slimmed down anything. Same apps, same watch face. Everything has remained the same.

I use the Activity Analog watch face if anyone is curious. :)

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I have everything turned on, except for Background App Refresh. I haven’t slimmed down anything. Same apps, same watch face. Everything has remained the same.

I use the Activity Analog watch face if anyone is curious. :)

I also have everything turned on as well, however, the only apps installed on my watch is the Apple Remote app, and Dark Sky. So, I guess that is how I achieve better battery life than others....no twitter, no facebook, no instagram, no messenger, etc.

Last edited:

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
petty

I also have everything turned on as well, however, the only apps installed on my watch is the Apple Remote app, and Dark Sky. So, I guess that is how I achieve better battery life than others....no twitter, no facebook, no instagram, no messenger, etc.

Wow still pretty damn impressive - I can go to bed (before the beta) with 50% so two days should be possible, but it uses a bit at night as well and will run out day two around dinner time I would guess.

S4 44mm so it should be the best possible nuclear reactor

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I kept forgetting to do this but here’s proof on how impressive my battery life is on my Series 3 42mm.
916dda85c4f2ab8a771a9bfc2184cae9.jpg
06a58bacebdfa904c5c8efb21cf32fba.jpg

Watch is in DND mode because my iPhone X is in DND While Driving mode. Other than that, I never have it in DND mode unless I need my watch to be silent for important reasons, which is not often. Notifications are on and sound is enabled.

Reactions: ferretex
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.